INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The volume on MC 19 is lower that it was in MC18  (Read 2877 times)

baldo

• World Citizen
The volume on MC 19 is lower that it was in MC18
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:44:55 am »

I upgraded to MC 19 but now find that the volume is not as loud as it was previously.

What are the adjustments that I need to make in the audio section?

many thanks

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: The volume on MC 19 is lower that it was in MC18
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:56:30 am »

that's probably because you have DSPs running -- try unchecking all in DSP studio except Output settings and check for the difference. There have been a lot of upgrades to the treatments of "volume" -- if you just reinstalled you probably have not reanalyzed your audio files -- you will have to do this. Then you can re-implement the DSPs.

You also might want to do a full volume reference calibration. More on that here if you have never done it ...http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Reference_Level_Calibration

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 12:36:38 pm »

Ok, I switched off DSP but I still have the same issue.

How do I rescan the files?

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 03:00:38 pm »

Now I can't even adjust the volume from MC!!!!!

The only thing I changed was Tools> Options> Volume mode : System Volume.

Odd

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:01:40 pm »

Try the other volume options.

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:49:28 am »

The only thing that works is Internal Volume.

The other options have no effect. That is, the volume slider has no effect on the volume.

I ma seriously regretting buying this software.

Bug after bug after bug......

And it's not exactly easy to figure out how to change things.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 06:27:23 am »

Recommend Internal Volume for you - read the complete page in Wiki I linked above

How do I rescan the files?
Select Files=>RightClick=>Library Tools=>Analyze Audio

The learning curve between Paint and Photoshop is not the same either.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 06:35:22 am »

The only thing that works is Internal Volume.

The other options have no effect. That is, the volume slider has no effect on the volume.

I ma seriously regretting buying this software.

Bug after bug after bug......

This thread maybe of interest to you:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81565.msg555661#msg555661

What you're seeing is not bugs - but differences in setup.
In certain audio output modes certain devices do not react to certain volume controls.
It's possible that your MC18 was outputting to DirectSound - and as a result something else was boosting the audio levels.

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 05:20:00 am »

I have gone back to re-installing MC18 and the problem is not there. The volume is fine in MC18.

I am seriously not pleased with this software and consider it to be one the worst Software purchases that I have made.

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 05:33:02 am »

I am not affiliated with J River in any way but do think you are being a bit harsh .....

If it is any comfort, I had similar problems today where I lost control of the audio level ..... I had altered too many settings at once, and the thing was going full blast to the amp.

Not good at all, but I managed to change it back and regain control (volume, that is!). I have to admit I wasn't confident of which volume setting to select ....

My take is that it is really very good software but that maybe it should have two levels of use - expert and novice - where for example, the volume settings are simplified for the novice initially until he (or she) has the hang of it.

Cheers.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 06:04:44 am »

I have gone back to re-installing MC18 and the problem is not there. The volume is fine in MC18.

I am seriously not pleased with this software and consider it to be one the worst Software purchases that I have made.

Beyond the volume issues (which I've suggested is quite possibly a setup difference between the two versions) you've not really stated what problems you're having.  Where you've asked questions people have answered them and then you've not come back to request further help as far as I can see.

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 11:52:35 am »

Just telling you what MY experience is of this software. For me it does not do what it is supposed to ie play music on a consistent basis.

An upgrade to 19 should be exactly that, an upgrade. Not cause all sorts of issues.  It does not take a genius to use the same set up as the previously installed version 18.  Alternatively, why not have a "default" settings option as a starting point that is the same across the board.

In terms on not answering the questions, I would not be here wasting my time and the time of the good people who are kind enough to read and then answer my questions.  What further information do you want? Ask and I shall provide.

I do have many other things to do and not just loiter around this forum all the time, like actually listen to music.

I re-iterate, as a simple user, my experience with MC is not great. In an ideal world I just want the Software to work and listen to my music, I am not in the habit of constanly tinkering with it, I want to set up and play my files.

FWIW, in MC18, output mode of WASAPI works, I can adj the volume and it is at a decent level.

What you guys have done with MC19, I do not know, I certainly could not see any improvements.  However, I want to be fair and want to be convinced otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 12:37:18 pm »

... I want to be fair and want to be convinced otherwise.
You could have fooled me.

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 04:57:24 am »

Hello,

I have problems with distortions since my upgrade to MC 19 (windows 7, running on the windows side of a Mac Mini). After some trial and error I found in the audio path that output is delivered at 96Khz (my choice) 32 Bit (not my choice, I selcted 24Bit in the systems setting). My AD converter obviously can only work with 24Bit.  This was SPDIF WASAPI style.

Changing to SPDIF Direct Sound everything works fine - Audio Path shows 96Khz 24 Bit

How ca I force 24 Bit in Wasapi?  There is no more Bitdepth selector in MC 19.

A further proposal: Could you include bit accurary information of the ripped song in the song selection menu? critical songs could than be easily identified and re-ripped.

Kind regards and thanks for the nice program!!!

Max
@Sunbird

Hi Max

Could you (or a moderator  ;) ) copy/paste your question into a new post.  I'm afraid it will get lost in the sauce here and I personally don't want to artificially bump this post.

regards and welcome
Pages: [1]   Go Up