INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is soundcheck broken on Ipod sync with V19? (Using 19.0.51)  (Read 1617 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Is soundcheck broken on Ipod sync with V19? (Using 19.0.51)
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:10:55 am »

I've synced an Ipod 5th generation and even though all my tags have Replay Gain values, Soundcheck did not work for me.  From what I read from other posts it's supposed to do it automatically as long as you have the volume adjustment unchecked in the handheld settings...

BTW I'm amazed at how smooth this went (19.0.45 kept crashing but upgrading to .51 resolved it)..

I've synced around 29 000 songs.  A mix of ALAC and MP3s using the lame extreme settings with only specified output format (including high bitrates) option.

MC left my mp3 320 Kbps alone and only transcoded the alac files using 8 processors...Exactly what I wanted even though I'd like to be able to customize this but what's the point if it's doing exactly what I want!!!

SO back to soundcheck...Is it broken? Am I missing something? DO I need to re-analyze all my files to R128 to get soundcheck back?

Vocalpoint

Re: Is soundcheck broken on Ipod sync with V19? (Using 19.0.51)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:21:38 am »

I've synced an Ipod 5th generation and even though all my tags have Replay Gain values, Soundcheck did not work for me.  From what I read from other posts it's supposed to do it automatically as long as you have the volume adjustment unchecked in the handheld settings...

BTW I'm amazed at how smooth this went (19.0.45 kept crashing but upgrading to .51 resolved it)..

I've synced around 29 000 songs.  A mix of ALAC and MP3s using the lame extreme settings with only specified output format (including high bitrates) option.

MC left my mp3 320 Kbps alone and only transcoded the alac files using 8 processors...Exactly what I wanted even though I'd like to be able to customize this but what's the point if it's doing exactly what I want!!!

SO back to soundcheck...Is it broken? Am I missing something? DO I need to re-analyze all my files to R128 to get soundcheck back?

I am watching this one closely too. I use Soundcheck relentlessly on all our iPods - with RG data written by MC v18...I would like to know if a switch to v19 is going to make me have to redo thousands of tracks as well...

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:25:39 am »

It looks like the iPod upload code is not using the correct code to read the volume level from the library.

This will be fixed in a coming build.

The iPod will use the field 'Volume Level (ReplayGain)' for the Sound Check value.  This will be a ReplayGain v1 value after upgrade from MC18, and a ReplayGain v2 value if you analyze in MC19.  The two values will be about the same, although ReplayGain v2 should be a little better.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 09:41:47 am »

It looks like the iPod upload code is not using the correct code to read the volume level from the library.

This will be fixed in a coming build.

The iPod will use the field 'Volume Level (ReplayGain)' for the Sound Check value.  This will be a ReplayGain v1 value after upgrade from MC18, and a ReplayGain v2 value if you analyze in MC19.  The two values will be about the same, although ReplayGain v2 should be a little better.

Thanks Matt. I kinda thought something was up around build 42 or so. I tested a few single tracks to the iPod and the volume was acting up...will wait for the upcoming build.

Cheers,

VP

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:13:00 am »

Media Center has never written Sound Check data into my files, any idea why not?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:21:07 am »

Media Center has never written Sound Check data into my files, any idea why not?

It never has. And not sure that it ever needs to as the iPod (with Soundcheck on) actually uses the RG v1 values and does it's "soundcheck" thing with those.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:21:19 am »

It writes Sound Check to the iPod database, not the file tags.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:08:21 am »

It writes Sound Check to the iPod database, not the file tags.
Can Media Center write Sound Check data to the file tags? I use iTunes for my iOS devices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up