INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV keeps shutting off while watching sitcoms, but not during movies  (Read 1062 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

This started happening a few weeks ago.  While watching The Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother, the TV will just randomly shut off.  I looked today, and it seemed to happen after about 4 minutes into an episode.  I turn it back on, then restart the show, and a few minutes later, it shuts off again.

however, last night, we watched a movie, then watched the latest episode of The Walking Dead, and it never shut off once, so it seems to be something to do with the TV shows, but we've watched The Big Bang Theory episodes previously, and this never used to happen.  All videos are mkv files.  I'm not sure what makes the TV shows cause this, that is different than the movies or longer episodes.

i've turned off the checkbox that says something about forcing the monitor to stay on while using HDMI, it didn't matter.

What can I provide to help diagnose this issue?

thanks.
pretend this is something funny

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: TV keeps shutting off while watching sitcoms, but not during movies
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »

This seems very strange.
You could try using a different software like VLC or mpc to show whether the issue is with the files or with MC.

Is there an AVR in the chain, or is your PC conected directly to the TV?

Does your TV have some kind of sleep timer?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »

Sounds like your TV is going bad - a good reason the tell the wife you need to rush out and get one of those new big screen 4K Plasma or OLED sets. ;D

If the TV is actauly shutting off, I can not see how any program material/content could do this. But if MC or your AVR was shutting off (and the TV then goes to a 'blank" screen) then I could offer a few ideas.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:32:06 pm »

yeah, it makes no sense to me either, but it only happens when playing those 2 sitcoms.  The TV has been playing movies without issue since I posted this several hours ago.

There is a Yamaha AVR between the HTPC and TV, and it's been wired this way for years.  Like I said before, I've played these episodes months ago, and this didn't happen then, so I don't think it's the actual media file.  in fact, I just played one of the episodes on my desktop computer, and it played without any issues.  the HTPC is using an intel 4000HD video card, and the desktop is using an nVidia card, but otherwise I think the options on both are very similar.

I wonder what might be causing this?
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:15:45 pm »

Could you test without the Yamaha?  Or wire it differently just to test?  The receiver may be telling the TV to shut down.  I had a similar problem that was caused by the control system.  Check the menu on both sides carefully (TV and receiver).  Turn off any automatic control.
Pages: [1]   Go Up