INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-Ray ISO, is there a way to serve them with Media Server ?  (Read 1967 times)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Blu-Ray ISO, is there a way to serve them with Media Server ?
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:52 am »

Good day !
I am well on my way of having integrated music, photos, video and OTA TV on a central MC Media Server, with small Intel NUCs on each TV in the house.  I also have a collection of Blu-Rays ripped on a different Linux file server (Samba), as ISO files.

I can watch correctly my Blu-ray collection using a local MC library on each PC, and for all the rest I connect through the Media Server Library, but the question is : is there any hope of NOT having to switch libraries (on the client) in order to watch a movie ripped as ISO ?

Thank you !

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Blu-Ray ISO, is there a way to serve them with Media Server ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:25:30 pm »

If you have Virtual Clone Drive installed on the client, and the drives mapped to the same windows path as on the server, there is no issue playing ISOs. I do this frequently. Since the ISO file would have the same path, (and you should have the option that plays the 'local' copy if the path is the same checked - in media network options, I think), the ISO file is launched using VCD just as if it were stored locally on the client machine.

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:16:44 pm »

I have a similar question. It will be cool if we could have the possibility to mount in a shared virtual drive on the server or by using the native iso mount of Windows 8. So, there is no need to install a virtual drive on the client.

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:41:42 pm »

If you have Virtual Clone Drive installed on the client, and the drives mapped to the same windows path as on the server, there is no issue playing ISOs. I do this frequently. Since the ISO file would have the same path, (and you should have the option that plays the 'local' copy if the path is the same checked - in media network options, I think), the ISO file is launched using VCD just as if it were stored locally on the client machine.

Which version of VCD do you use? The actual version 5.4.4.7 or an older?

Roger

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 01:08:44 am »

I have a similar question. It will be cool if we could have the possibility to mount in a shared virtual drive on the server or by using the native iso mount of Windows 8. So, there is no need to install a virtual drive on the client.
I had problems using the built in ISO mounter with Blu-rays and AnyDVD. VCD is light on resources and has never caused me any problems.

sirkus

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:44:16 pm »

It's not only about resources. I try to keep the client as clean as possible. Hi-rez audio/video is very "sensitive" to OS mess :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 05:20:08 pm »

It's not only about resources. I try to keep the client as clean as possible. Hi-rez audio/video is very "sensitive" to OS mess :)
That's a myth.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 07:48:37 pm »

It's sensitive to conflicting codec/filters installations. VCD has a tiny footprint. What you requested might be possible, but then MC server would be streaming to the client, which you really don't want when you can open a local copy of the file. If you care about video/audio quality, lack of 'buffering' occasionally, and the ability to jump to any point in the video at any time, you'd install VCD on the client machines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up