INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo 19.0.50  (Read 6545 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Gizmo 19.0.50
« on: October 02, 2013, 04:23:25 pm »

This is the latest version of Gizmo (JRiver's Android application).  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted.

Download: http://jriver.com/install_gizmo.html

The build will move to the Play Store at a later date, after testing here.

19.0.50 / 81

NEW: Added ability to customize the number of files that get downloaded ahead in a playlist.
Fixed: Cache pruning was not working properly in some cases, causing the download cache to grow too large (should be capped at 512MB).
Changed: When silently reconnecting, Gizmo will issue wake requests (previously it only issued wake requests when connecting manually).

19.0.41 / 80

NEW: Repeat mode is optional (in Menu > Options > Repeat mode).
Fixed: The list of zones would not appear with build 40.

19.0.40 / 79

Changed: Gizmo uses the mime type application/octet-stream for audio file transfers to avoid ISP or carrier blocking (requires MC 19.0.39 or newer).

19.0.39 / 78

NEW: Added lock screen controls while playing on the device.
NEW: Bluetooth track information is provided when playing on the device (using AVRCP).
NEW: Bluetooth controls work while the screen is off.
Fixed: Web radio streams that were stored in the library or playlists were not playable on the device.  
Faster: When clicking the header to switch modes while connected to a dead server, the menu of choices will appear much faster.
Fixed: In some cases 'Error communicating with server' could show incorrectly on the screen.

19.0.38 / 77 (September 12, 2013)

1. Fixed: The cache downloader could crash in some cases.

19.0.35 / 76 (September 4, 2013)

1. NEW: Added thumbnail size option (menu button at top right > Options).
2. NEW: Added a screen lock option to keep the screen on (dim or bright) while Gizmo is showing (useful for tablet installations).
3. Changed: The volume up and down commands work when playing on the device (for cases when there are no hardware volume buttons).
4. Changed: Bluetooth play and pause commands will trigger the play/pause button (for devices without a play/pause button).
5. Changed: Stopping playback stops the read-ahead caching system from working ahead.
6. Fixed: Playback stats are fired when playback starts instead of when the cache reads-ahead for a file (requires MC 19.0.35 or newer).
7. Fixed: When playing a video, playback would sit at a black screen instead of return to the browse screen in 19.0.32.

19.0.32 / 75 (August 28, 2013)

NEW: Added the ability to 'Play (with Play Doctor)' from anywhere in the audio browse tree.
NEW: When a server call fails, the program will retry a few times.
NEW: The program will attempt to automatically switch the server IP address as it transitions from wifi to data.
NEW: File playback caching uses ranged requests so an interrupted download is resumed instead of restarted.
Faster: When there is no wifi or ethernet, connecting to a server will skip local addresses.
Changed: Audio playback loops the playlist until stopped (unless the playlist is only one track).
Changed: Added a system so that partial cache entries (from a crash or other problem) will never get used.

19.0.31 / 74

NEW: Improved cache system so that the playback of the first file also plays from cache (but playback still starts immediately).

19.0.30 / 73

NEW: Playback on device uses a caching system that reads-ahead and keeps files between runs, increasing reliability with weak connections.
Faster: Browsing switches screens faster.
Faster: Android 4 devices load thumbnails concurrently for improved performance.
Faster: When connected to MC19, thumbnails load faster.  

18.0.180 / 72

Changed: Errors communicating with the server show an information bubble, but don't cause the program to automatically reconnect to the server.
Changed: When acting as a remote, an error communicating with the server to get information about what's playing will look more transparent.
Changed: When playing on the device, the program will retry for up to 10 minutes to open the URL to better handle sporadic connections.

18.0.171 / 71

NEW: Totally revised Theater View remote mode.
Changed: Requires Android 2.2 or newer.
Changed: Switched to newer more efficient networking API.
Changed: Connecting will wait less time waiting for each IP address, but will retry more times (should reduce connect time in many cases).
Changed: Tuned the default timeout for web service calls to wait a little longer (should help prevent reconnects with spotty coverage).

18.0.126 / 67

NEW: It is possible to connect using an IP address.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Gizmo 19.0.50
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »

Hi Matt, is it possible to add the version # somewhere in the Gizmo settings?  (I keep losing track of what I've installed!)
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

nitephlight

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:16:48 pm »

wow, testing ASAP. hopefully no one else had the pleasure of this unintentional 4G abuse ^ ^
(i'm totally the person that ruins unlimited for everyone  ;))

*its not actually 21GB, I had Gizmo data folder mounted to external SD till there was a solution hah

nitephlight

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:56:48 am »

observations thus far
#
confirmed: cache never tops 512MB  ;D

Playlist read ahead: Works as intended upon first selection (ie playback of track 1 from album caches X #of tracks ahead), however, any song selected with option Add as Next to Play will not cache ahead of time, somewhat defeating the benefit of caching to smooth track transition.

loving all the gizmo love recently

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 07:56:26 am »

This may be a ridiculous question but I haven't switched to v19 of MC. Does Gizmo v19 work with MC v18?

Best regards,
Mikkel

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:17:13 am »

It does.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:29:04 am »

Gizmo works with MC18, but you'll get better performance and correct play stat tracking with Gizmo using MC19.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Gizmo 19.0.50
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 07:26:37 am »

Is it possible to play a bluray iso through gizmo on my tablet?

Castius

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 01:37:59 am »

Great progress on gizmo so far.

I would really love if gizmo set/load the playback bookmark.
So we can continue listening/watching from different locations.

Example:
kids are watching a movie in the car. When we get home we can switch to the TV and keep watching.

Thanks

fernandoman

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 02:24:37 am »

Plus 1 for this. It would be fantastic to be able to switch the zone the play list is sent to, or be able to link the zones together then break the link leaving it playing at the new location.

I listen to a lot of books in the car and would love to be able to continue listening over the house speakers when I get home.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 11:57:00 am »

A doubt. In screen saver does not display cover art? For not show.

Sometimes when I press the buttons play / pause: the buttons forward / backward disappear.

Fabrício, from Brazil.

Cereal Killer

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 12:08:42 pm »

Any chance of album artwork showing full screen when tablets in landscape mode? Its nice in portrait, kinda edge to edge with the control keys below, but in landscape the image is about 75mm square and lower half of the screen blank/black with a large amount taken up with the keys and on screen info.  You can just about see it on this pic of my system, screen is 10":

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 02:14:08 am »

Hi Matt,

(Originally posted here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84553.0)

I have problems with stuttering playback using Gizmo (both the latest version and any previous version). The reason is the CPU running at 100 %. From other threads I can see this is not quite unormal, and is most likely the cause for the poor playback (since network bandwidth on both LAN, wifi and 3G is by a large margin above the limits of streaming videos).

Anyway, as a test I installed Plex Media Server and the Plex App. All videos and all music playback fluently. Music is streamed unprocessed while video is transcoded by the plex-server (the same server that runs JRiver).

Setting playback to lowest quality in Gizmo ensures a somewhat fluent playback.

I was wondering if therefore it is possible to optimize how JRiver transcode media prior to streaming?
Another nice feature would be the ability to let the device decode any file format which it supports natively (e.g. FLAC when using my Galaxy S3).

Best regards,
Mikkel

Castius

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 07:20:02 pm »

Gizmo stop working on Google TV. (LogiTech revue)

It crashes if i go to playlist.
And if i go play a music track it will get stuck at preparing.

I can see it download the music track. But it never plays it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 07:43:32 pm »

Make sure you have the most recent version of MC19.

Castius

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »

Sorry didn't state it but i am running the latest mc.
I wish i knew the version of gizmo i was running. Before it stopped.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 09:23:29 pm »

Under Help/About, you can find the full version of MC.

Catskinner

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 03:12:57 am »

I wish that:

1. Gizmo would not disconnect every time a foreground app output a sound.
2. Gizmo would not force me to reconnect to the server when 1 happens.
3. Gizmo would at least offer the option to resume playing from where it stopped when 1 and 2 happens.
4. Gizmo would offer true high quality audio on Bluetooth

1-3 are really unexplainable and unacceptable when considering that other apps don't suffer from this hassle. No 4 is probably an issue with the BT audio stack in Android 4.3 which is messed up since ICS.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 07:25:26 am »

That may be a feature of your phone.  I don't have that problem with a Samsung Note 3.

Castius

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 11:06:57 am »

MC 19.0.60

Castius

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 03:55:47 am »

I don't get it. It's working now.
I installed bubbleUpnp on friday. So my Wife could get to our music.

And now when i retest gizmo, it's working.
Oh well i'll just consider myself lucky it only cost me $5.

On a side note i do like that I can ctrl bubble from MC. I wish i could do that with Gizmo.

petrossa

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 11:15:34 am »

I wish that:

2. Gizmo would not force me to reconnect to the server when 1 happens.
3. Gizmo would at least offer the option to resume playing from where it stopped when 1 and 2 happens.
4. Gizmo would offer true high quality audio on Bluetooth

1-3 are really unexplainable and unacceptable when considering that other apps don't suffer from this hassle. No 4 is probably an issue with the BT audio stack in Android 4.3 which is messed up since ICS.

None of these events happen to me on my dated Xoom tablets. In fact it works works astonishingly well. I have 1 tablet as music-center and even when a song is paused and i update JRiver or even reboot the windows mediaserver Gizmo just goes on where it left off and beyond.

I was extremely impressed.

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 05:41:49 pm »

I have two Android devices: a Samsung Galaxy SII with Android 4.1.2 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with Android 4.2.2.
Gizmo can play videos from my desktop library on my Galaxy SII but not on My Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I suspect it stopped playing videos after the SO upgrade from 4.1.1 to 4.2.2. The video starts playing for about one second and stops returning to the video list.
My desktop is running MC 19.0.60. It is a Dell XPS 8500, Intel I7 3.4 GHz, 16GB of RAM.
Thanks.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 07:31:44 am »

I have the same issue on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Android 4.0, if i flash back to Android 3.1 (which it originally came with), it works again, and Jim has the problem on his Galaxy Note i believe. SGS3 and SGS4 seem also to be affected.

I think Samsung changed something in their media player that makes it not like these streams, but sadly we were unable to find out yet what exactly is the problem.
Its on our list to investigate further, hopefully we'll find a solution.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up