INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 18 Licence is not working with MC 19 on my backup laptop  (Read 1385 times)

Bobo4567

• Recent member
MC 18 Licence is not working with MC 19 on my backup laptop
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:44:49 am »

Hi MC Team,

today my MC 19 refuses to start due to "Trial Period is over" message on my backup laptop.

On my first Laptop I have my older Versions of MC (including MC 18) as native installations. MC 19 is as a portable installation and runs very well.

The second Laptop is a backup system. My whole media and the MC 19 portable installation is synced to this machine. It had also a MC 18 native installation. But unfortunately I forget to activate it and the trial period run out today. So I restored the licence.

But MC 19 still comes up with the "Trial Period is over" message.
MC 18 on this second laptop is now fully activated.

I think my problem is that I'm syncing the portable installation. MC 19 on the left side seems to be connected to the MC 18 licence key on the left side. And now MC 18 on the right side has a different key. And when I copy the MC 19 portable installation "to the right" it does not work.

What to do? Just copy the *.mjr file that I received by mail to both machines?

Thanks for the help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 18 Licence is not working with MC 19 on my backup laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:34:27 am »

An MC18 license won't work with MC19.  See "Restoring a License" on our wiki for details.

Bobo4567

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:21:00 am »

Ok- it thought that you said at the beginning of the MC 19 development that every MC 18 licence later than a specific date would work.

At the MC 19 start dialog I choosed "Restore Licence" (or so). But after that, with the next start, MC 19 always comes back to this message and refuses to start.

What to do?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:18:27 am »

You need to use our Restore Page to get your MC19 license.  And install MC19.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Bobo4567

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:42:29 am »

Thanks, JimH!

During my try-and-error session this morning I generated two requests for restoring the licence and got two emails within 10 minutes with new keys ...

You wrote "And install MC19". MC 19 is installed as a portable installation. Do I have anything special to do then? Where does MC stores it's licence, just to make sure that I sync everything correct.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 09:41:58 am »

You can't license a portable install.  It must be installed _from_ a machine that has a regular MC installed and licensed.

Bobo4567

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:23:07 am »

I understand.

Portable Installation was the only way for me to keep all the MC Settings, its Database, ... at one place and not in C:\users\..\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 19.
Is there a better way? All I try is to keep two laptops in a 1:1 synchronisation. So that if one crashes the other could take over ("cold standby").
Pages: [1]   Go Up