INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Licensing Question not found in the FAQ  (Read 1229 times)

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck
Licensing Question not found in the FAQ
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:29:58 pm »

Hi,

I searched through the forums, Wiki, and FAQ and cannot seem to find the answer to this. (If it is posted somewhere and I didn't see it I apologize, please just refer me to the link to the answers).

I wish to purchase Media Center 19 for Windows but I had a question about licensing. As I have read, you receive a license key and registration info when you purchase the program. My question is 2 part:

1) When you purchase a license, how long is the license good for?

2) Is the License good for future versions of JRiver Media center for example if there is a Media Center 20?

Thanks and I apologize if this is posted somewhere, I searched through a lot of resources and could not find the answer.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Licensing Question not found in the FAQ
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:38:03 am »

1) When you purchase a license, how long is the license good for?
The license [Registration Code]is good for life. The activation file (mjr) [Install Key] that you can download is good for 14 days, after that, you need to visit the restore page and generate another. While it's not quite as simple, it's easier to say that you get ten restores a year. In normal usage, this will never be an issue for you, but if you do run out, you can request more and generally get them.

2) Is the License good for future versions of JRiver Media center for example if there is a Media Center 20?
No. The license is good for all minor version updates, for example, 19.0.200 -> 19.0.201. A new major build, 20.0.001, would require a new license. When moving from one minor build to another, there is no need for continual activation, the license remains on your computer and the software detects that it is valid. Updating can be done from within the program (Help > Update channels) and is smooth and seamless.

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 03:08:37 am »

Thank you for clearing that up. What if a customer purchases a license and say perhaps a week later a brand new version comes out (a major upgrade like Media Center 20). Are the customers out of luck and have to pay again for the upgrade if after only such a short period of time since they purchased Media Center 19? I can understand if it is maybe a month or so since they purchased, say media center 19, but if it is only a few days or a week, are customers still stuck paying for the upgrade after they just made the purchase for media center 19 a few days ago since the next major release?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:42:40 am »

In all the major upgrades (since I have been using JRiver MC17), prior to a major upgrade, all current users will be offered a discounted price. So if a new version costs $50, you will get an offer to purchase the next version (pre-release) for some lessor amount (like $30). Also, anyone that is purchasing the older version just prior to a major upgrade release will be able to upgrade at no additional cost. So if you buy MC19 thirty days prior to the release of MC20, you will be able to upgrade to MC 20 at no additional cost. If you buy MC19 thirty-one days prior to MC20 release you are out of luck and will have to pay full price.
The prices and upgrade scenarios are just examples (subject to change) - you need to watch this form for details (or get on JRiver's mailing list).

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:50:35 am »

Thank you so much to all who helped answer my questions, they were very clear and helpful. Thank you so much!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:56:48 am »

This explains how updates work:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

At the bottom is a link to a post on "Business Model".
Pages: [1]   Go Up