INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping two libraries in sync  (Read 4049 times)

thijazi

• Recent member
Keeping two libraries in sync
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:12 am »

Hi,

I am new to JRiver and so far love the power of this solution. Now here is something I need help with (hopefully the answer is not too obvious :)

I have 2 PCs setup with JRiver, a desktop PC and an HTPC, I use the desktop for my daily stuff, the HTPC is in the living room serving up media, it is connected to my audio system. What I have done is:

1- Sorted out my media library on the desktop PC just the way I want it (280GB of FLAC files), took ages to ensure all the meta data is correct, album art is there, ratings, playlists, etc.

2- Copied the files to the HTPC

3- Ran JRiver on HTPC and it imported the files that I copied from the desktop PC, all well, everything in place

Now I would like to find a way to keep any changes to the desktop library in sync with the HTPC library and vice-versa. I could not find a way to do this. I recently made some changes to the meta data of some files on the desktop PC, deleted some files, etc. Then from the HTPC I tried to start a library sync using the Access Key of the desktop PC, but what happened next was the HTPC trying to copy the entire library (over again)...

Not sure how to go about this.

redchris70

• Recent member
Re: Keeping two libraries in sync
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:41:18 am »

I'm new to MC myself so I'm quite sure other far more experienced users can offer more detailed advice.  Assuming that your PC and HTPC are networked there is no need to copy your media files to the HTPC.  Keep them on the PC and create your library as you want it and then follow the advice offered in the network wiki page to share this library with your client HTPC:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

If your machines are not networked I think you will have to locally maintain 2 separate libraries.

thijazi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:29:21 am »

The reason I want to keep both separate is to avoid having to keep both PCs on when I want to listen to music. I was wondering if there is a way to keep both sets of content in sync.

redchris70

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:51:26 am »

If your HTPC is the machine you will access most regularly, why not set up the library on that machine and connect the PC as the client when you want to do the back end maintenance?  You can make changes on the client and then sync back to the main library.  It works very well indeed.  That's what I do.

thijazi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:26:15 am »

It would be the most logical option, but due to my poor network bandwidth, it would be impractical as I often add/remove new music and do lots of edits... plus the idea of having to have booth PCs on at all times puts me off...

I guess that is the only way, unless I resort to storing all my content on an external drive and having it move back and forth between both PCs depending on where I am going to edit/listen to stuff....

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 05:30:59 am »

... or put the files on a NAS so that it's available from all PCs.  What is the bandwidth of your network, if you're considering it too slow?

It would be ideal to be able to run an MC server on a low-power, always-on NAS, and just use clients to connect to it as and when needed. Many people would like this but it's not yet possible.

thijazi

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:32:33 am »

An old slow Wi-Fi setup, never managed to get the powerline adapters to work properly and cannot route cables thru the house..

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 08:33:26 am »

Lets see, ok you don't want to/can't share files/library over a network.

First off, what I would do (without spending any money) is first is go verify in Manage Library Fields that ALL metadata (tag) fields are marked to write to disk when possible. Choose a "master" PC (I'll call it here 1). And then make sure that all your media files are on PC1 are on PC2 using the SAME directory structure - eg D:\Media\Music\AlbumArtist\ . I would also backup the PC2 library, and then clear it entirely (just the first time you do this)

Always backup your media and library (ies) before doing something like this :)

Then ...

• select all files on PC1; right click=>Library Tools=>Update Tags from Library*
  • Backup PC1 library to a USB key
  • Restore PC1's Library to PC2
  • select all media files; right click=>Library Tools=>Update Tags from Library*

Now, provided that the directory structures were identical and all media exist on both machines (with the same file names^^), you should be all set. If not, you can run autoimport with the Update for external changes and Fix broken links options checked.

OK now both PC: libraries are identical, all tags in your files are identical, as well as all metadata in the database

Normal workflow if new media is added to PC1 or if re-tagging has been done to the Files on PC1
1- Backup library from PC1; restore same to PC2

2a - If there is new  media, copy same from PC1 to PC2
    - Restore PC1's library to PC2
    - Run autoimport manually
2b - If there is no new media, restore PC1's library to PC2
       (if there are broken links - run autoimport)

Now, this is technically not a sync, it is a simple backup routine. If you absolutely need to make changes from PC2 you must inverse the process -- not recommended

Note * : writing library metadata to the files will secure your metadata which could be also written back to the MC library in case things go sideways. The reason I'm recommending doing this here, is that if you have some fields which previous to your verification were not checked in options, you will make sure they are embedded for all files in the same way.

Note** : I really recommend to check that the date imported tag  is written to the file ... this string of numbers is not really usable per se, but it will resolve some issues when using autoimport to reindex/repair broken links

An old slow Wi-Fi setup, never managed to get the powerline adapters to work properly and cannot route cables thru the house..
Now What you really should think of doing is buying two Netgear 500 mps adapters and plug your two PCs into them. NOW you can network the two!  If you need to use Wifi, there are extenders or if budget allows $60 and you have a good enough router. You can use PC1 as a server and through remote desktop (for win7 you need the pro version or third party software) you can wake it up when you need it.

redchris70

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 08:48:26 am »

^^^^^^^^^^

Arindelle should be on the payroll  :)

thijazi

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:13:10 am »

Interesting workaround from Arindelle, will try it out.

By the way, where do I find the options for "Manage Library Fields"? looked all over the place, couldn't find it.

Regards,
Tareq

csimon

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:19:19 am »

I'm sure there is an option in the File Menu for Sync Two PCs or something similar but I don't know what it does. It doesn't appear to be the same thing as Library Server Sync. Does anyone know what it's for? I'm not at a MC PC right now.

thijazi

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 09:28:56 am »

I found the option to Manage the fields :)

Arindelle

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 10:03:25 am »

I'm sure there is an option in the File Menu for Sync Two PCs or something similar but I don't know what it does. It doesn't appear to be the same thing as Library Server Sync. Does anyone know what it's for? I'm not at a MC PC right now.

:-[ ahhh I was supposed to respond to that post of yours on syncing questions months ago csimon .. totally spaced it out, sorry.

Promise I'll do that, but it will have to be tomorrow. 

Anyway the sync options you are referring to are for syncing changes between the Library "Server" (aka the PC that is running the Media server program  JR.exe) and the shared library "loaded" on the client.

For the OP, that work around I suggested is for two separate local libraries so these options wouldn't be applicable without being networked.

[quote"thijazi"]I found the option to Manage the fields Smiley][/quote]  great ... sorry I should have been more specific :)

Quote from: redchris70
^^^^^^^^^^ Arindelle should be on the payroll  Smiley

:D YES!! I've been unemployed forever!! Need a Job!!  @JimH @Matt  euh, if you happen to need anybody ...euh ... just happen to be available

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 10:30:10 am »

Arindelle should be on the payroll  :)
Too verbose.

thijazi

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 10:36:40 am »

Great help on this forum, I really appreciate it.

csimon

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 11:47:54 am »

Anyway the sync options you are referring to are for syncing changes between the Library "Server" (aka the PC that is running the Media server program  JR.exe) and the shared library "loaded" on the client.

Hmm, I'm not sure? The dialog says "Library Sync lets you copy files from another PC. Just start Library Server on the other PC then start the sync here". I think this is different from a Client/Server sync, there's nothing about one PC being a client of the other. The options in the dialog talk about file locations and audio conversion. It sounds like a physical file sync.

Arindelle

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:21 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure? The dialog says "Library Sync lets you copy files from another PC. Just start Library Server on the other PC then start the sync here". I think this is different from a Client/Server sync, there's nothing about one PC being a client of the other. The options in the dialog talk about file locations and audio conversion. It sounds like a physical file sync.
. Hey thx! not at home right now. Is this a new thing or something I missed? Have to check this out.

csimon

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 06:11:02 am »

Well I don't know, I just came across it once while looking around! There doesn't seem to be anything in the Wiki about it. It's in the Library Tools menu, where the Import stuff is.

thijazi

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 12:49:19 pm »

I tested this using 2 PCs and two test libraries, the initial sync works well, but thereafter it is a mess, I am not sure this feature is well understood or implemented.

Arindelle

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 04:07:18 am »

Quote from:  link=topic=84901.msg580498#msg580498 date=1383763759
I tested this using 2 PCs and two test libraries, the initial sync works well, but thereafter it is a mess, I am not sure this feature is well understood or implemented.

@thijazi are you referring to what csimon brought up? (File=>Library=>Sync Library) or my "workaround"?

Haven't tested the "Library Sync" but seems to need to be Networked or accessed via internet. How did you try it?

The only things I've found on this are :
wiki: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Synchronize_Libraries#List_of_files_supporting_custom_fields and this post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43645.0 from end 2007

Too verbose.
ouch

thijazi

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 04:26:21 am »

I was referring to the option File-->Library-->Sync Library...

I setup PC1 with JMC and created a testA library with two albums
I setup PC2 with JMC and created a testB library with nothing in it.
I then selected File-->Library--Sync Library, and the content copied from PC1 to PC2
On PC2 I then modified the content (deleted one album, added ratings to other tracks, etc.)
Tried to sync back to PC1, it would report (sync complete) but the changes would not get carried back to PC1

I think I will invest in a decent network storage device with enough size and redundancy, it will simpler.
Pages: [1]   Go Up