INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art not displaying consistently  (Read 12657 times)

Peter51

• Recent member
Cover art not displaying consistently
« on: November 08, 2013, 04:50:32 pm »

Greetings,

Newbie here. I have personally ripped about 140 CDs to FLAC in dbPoweramp and successfully imported them into MC. (Am running latest 19.0.67 as of now.) dbPoweramp seems to both embed the cover art in each file and to create a Folder.jpg file.

I paid a service to rip 50 CDs, to try out that process. A large fraction of the cover art is not successfully importing and displaying in MC, even though I can see the cover art embedded in the tracks. If I check the tag of a specific track in MC (with no cover art showing), the Image File field is empty. I also have one instance where the displayed cover art for a CD  does not match the embedded cover art.

What can I do to completely, accurately import all cover art embedded in my files?

Thanks.

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cover art not displaying consistently
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:18:25 pm »

What other program are you using that you can see the cover art embedded in the tracks?  If the Image File tag in MC is empty, the cover art is not embedded in the track.  It should read Inside File if it is.

If you have the cover art saved as Folder.jpg in the same folder as all the tracks though, this is a fairly easy and quick fix.  In Options -> File Location -> CoverArt make sure you have Also store image in the file's tag checked.  Then right click on an album Cover Art -> Quick Find In File.

You can also have MC get cover art for you on import: Options -> Library & Folders -> Configure auto-import -> Tasks -> check Get cover art.

For the one file where the cover art does not match, you probably have different cover art in the file vs what the folder.jpg image is.  Choose which one you want and fix accordingly. 

Peter51

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:38:35 am »

Connersw, thanks for your reply.

You asked: "What other program are you using that you can see the cover art embedded in the tracks? "

In Explorer, in my Music library, I can right-click on any track and get tabs for "Audio Properties" and for "ID-Tag." (I think the dBpoweramp software gives me those tabs.) Under either of these tabs, I can see the Cover Art displayed. And, for those tracks that I ripped on my own with dBpoweramp, I also have a Folder.jpg file along with the tracks. And the Cover Art is importing into MC just fine for those tracks.

The 3rd party service that I used to rip 50 of my CDs uses GD3 software. And those are the tracks for which MC is not reliably importing the Cover Art. I can see the Cover Art by right-clicking on the track in Explorer, as described above. But, for about 1/3 of the tracks, the Cover Art is not making its way into MC.

You suggested the following settings: "In Options -> File Location -> CoverArt make sure you have Also store image in the file's tag checked." and
"You can also have MC get cover art for you on import: Options -> Library & Folders -> Configure auto-import -> Tasks -> check Get cover art."

I had, in fact, already checked both these settings.

You wrote" "For the one file where the cover art does not match, you probably have different cover art in the file vs what the folder.jpg image is.  Choose which one you want and fix accordingly."

Unfortunately, for the tracks ripped by the third-party service, there is no separate Folder.jpg. The Cover Art is embedded in the tracks, only. And for at least a couple of discs, the correct Cover Art is embedded with the tracks, as I can see in Explorer, but a different Cover altogether comes up in MC. (In those instances, the Cover displayed by MC is for the same Artist but a different CD altogether.)

As you can see, I'm stumped.

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 11:24:06 am »

I have a similar issue since a few days. It never appears before. I always use the latest version, update every week. Between May and 17th of Oct. I don't rip any music.  The same laptop, JRiver benchmark up to 3500 (depending on wether?)

For example I re-riped Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath: All tracks have the Cover inside - only one track doesn't.

First click on image field in action window: <failed to load image from inside>, second click: "no image"

I only use wma-encoder (lossless or vbr-mode high), the quality settings are not important, it affects both settings.
The reason lies not in the image. When I choose another image to add from file, this will be saved "correct" in the specified location but will not successfully importing and displaying.
In preview mode in windows explorer I sell the image in all tracks except this one.

When I convert format of this one with the same encoder settings the image will be embedded automatically.
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

connersw

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 08:54:41 pm »

On one of the albums not showing cover art, right click and select Cover Art -> Get from internet...  Does the first selection read Your Library - Dimensions Value (Size Value)?  Or does it just give you the Dimension and Size Values?  Or does it not give you any choices at all? 

Peter51

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:53:59 pm »

Connersw,

If I right-click on a track, select Cover Art, then Get from Internet, I get nothing at all. (And I checked in Explorer to make sure the Cover Art was embedded.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 12:57:11 pm »

If the track isn't named correctly (Artist, Album, Name), that would happen.

It's also possible that no art was available.

Try a few others.

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:17:59 pm »

On one of the albums not showing cover art, right click and select Cover Art -> Get from internet...  Does the first selection read Your Library - Dimensions Value (Size Value)?  Or does it just give you the Dimension and Size Values?  Or does it not give you any choices at all? 

Good Question!

I ripped another CD: The Doors - L.a.Woman. I added my own cover from file (7,5 MB). Only one of the ten tracks have cover inside. When I try to "get cover from internet" with this track, I see my cover in the results.

When I try to get cover art from internet with one of the other tracks I don't see my submitted cover.
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 04:08:57 pm »

I ripped another CD: The Doors - L.a.Woman. I added my own cover from file (7,5 MB). Only one of the ten tracks have cover inside. When I try to "get cover from internet" with this track, I see my cover in the results.
that's a BIG file !  :D  Make sure when you are doing this that all of the tracks are selected if you are in a "Pane" type view. If the first track is selected, it would be normal that you only have 1 with an embedded image.

I have personally ripped about 140 CDs to FLAC in dbPoweramp and successfully imported them into MC. (Am running latest 19.0.67 as of now.) dbPoweramp seems to both embed the cover art in each file and to create a Folder.jpg file.
I paid a service to rip 50 CDs, to try out that process ...
What can I do to completely, accurately import all cover art embedded in my files?
I used to tell my son when you go fishing tie your own knots. Looks like you lost the fish by letting some one else rip your files.  dbPoweramp is a really fine program. Set up correctly you will not regret using it and you shouldn't have a problem. Or if you prefer use MC directly ... Don't use that service anymore IMO  :P

If you need to find a better resolution image or jriver can't find it for you, just download it from somewhere and name it folder.jpg and put it in the album folder. Then use the method by connersw. Again if in pane view select all tracks. You can also use these options in reverse if you have embedded images but want a folder.jpg in your album folders.

Just in case, check your options =>File Location=>CoverArt=>Audio Mode to make sure its how you want.

jphilpit

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 04:40:03 pm »

At the moment (2 days after download of 19.0.54) the cover art is my biggest problem in MC. Most of my 1600+ CDs were ripped to WMA format in WMP over the last 4 or 5 years. The cover art is correct but I did not always find the right image when it was missing or wrong in WMP. When I imported the library shortly after download all went smoothly. But now I'm trying to fix some of the artwork. My preferred method is to search for the album until I find an exact match to the jewel box that's in my hand. When I find the artwork online, I right click and Copy it to the clipboard. Then I right click on the wrong or missing image in MC19 and tell MC to use what's on the clipboard. Sometimes the new image replaces the old one in the library listing. BUT sometimes it doesn't. I have one case where the new file is sitting in the hard drive folder with name [Artist] - [Album].jpg, but it doesn't show in the library. So I'm not sure where it's finding the wrong image from. (It's not the CoverArt folder in Users.) When I use Edit ID-Tag from dbPoweramp on each .wma file separately, I see that 2 of them have the correct image as cover art, and 2 of them have a thin, horizontal, white rectangle. The rest have no cover art in the individual files. Maybe that's throwing off the display?

Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 04:59:02 pm »

MC has a cover art lookup you could try.  Select a few files and right click to choose Cover Art/Get from Internet.

connersw

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 05:29:50 pm »

Peter: Unfortunately, Arindelle is correct.  If your Image File tag is empty, and if Cover Art -> Get From Internet does not show a top file as in your library, the cover art is not making it into MC.  I'm not familiar with GD3 software, but it could be a compatibility issue with how they saved their tags.  Any chance you are running Vista?  It also has been known to cause issues with the tags. 

You will need to correct the cover art for these ~17 albums.  The easiest way is Cover Art -> Get From Internet.  As Jim mentioned, you may need to make sure the files are tagged  correctly (Name / Artist / Album).  If these are rare albums not in the database, I would recommend reviewing MrC Tip 36:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83371.0 and following 6233638's code for Album Art.  Once you set up the link once, it will always be there.  Then just drag the cover art from Google into the album's folder and rename it folder.jpg (or [Artist] - [Album].jpg).  Then in MC, right click on the album Cover Art -> Quick Find In File.  It will actually go really quickly, and if you use MC, EAC, or dbpoweramp for future rips, you shouldn't have this problem again.

Peter51

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 11:49:57 am »

Connersw, Arindelle, JimH and everyone,

Thanks for your time in helping with my issue of MC not properly importing Cover Art embedded in many of my tracks. In the end, consistent with Arindelle's suggestion, I think I will skip using an outside service and continue ripping on my own. For the CDs ripped by the outside service but whose embedded Cover Art did not make it into MC, it would take less time for me to re-rip them myself with dBpoweramp than to fix the existing tracks. I am not getting positive hits for obtaining the Cover Art in MC by clicking on "Get from Internet."

In sum, I've been successful importing tracks and their Cover Art when the art is both embedded in each track and located at Folder.jpg, which is what I get from dBpoweramp. But, seems to me, my tracks with embedded art but without Folder.jpg should import successfully also. Most of them do but a third do not. Looks like a bug to me.

Peter51

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 12:29:58 pm »

You don't have to re-rip in order to add cover art (from any source).  Just open the tag window and click on the album art.  You can then paste from the clipboard.

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 01:32:03 pm »

You don't have to re-rip in order to add cover art (from any source).  Just open the tag window and click on the album art.  You can then paste from the clipboard.

I can paste it and it will be shown in image window. But when I change the track selection I have "no image". Right click on the image window (it shows the message "no image") and choose "quick find in file / Cover art directory" the image will shown - but only until I select another track.

I selected five tracks of this CD and pasted image from clipboard - I see the correct image. Right click on the image in the image window and choose "copy to clipboard (first file)" - the image disappears and I get the message <various internal images> in the image window. I re-riped on of these tracks (form lossless wma to lossless wma, the bitrate will be the same after re-riping) the image is correct inside the file.

Principally I can solve this problem in this way (re-riping takes seconds) but that's not really a solution.

Peter51

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 04:53:50 pm »

I had a major breakthrough in getting MC to properly display my Cover Art that I could see was embedded in my tracks but not importing properly. In Explorer, select all tracks for an album, right-click on ID-Tag, review the cover art at bottom of ID-Tag dialog box. For several of my albums, the album cover art was labeled "Artwork 1," not "Front Album Cover." After re-labeling the Cover Art as "Front Album Cover," the cover art displays in MC. Yeah.

So, how to re-label artwork from "Artwork 1" to "Front Album Cover"? Click on "Add Album Art" at very bottom of ID-Tag dialog box. (They make you click twice.) Select "Export to Folder.jpg." The Folder.jpg will appear in Explorer after the album tracks. Click on "Add Album Art" again. Select "Import from Folder.jpg." Choose "Front Album Cover." Now you have two pieces of artwork in the dialog box. Remove "Artwork 1", leaving only the Front Album Cover image. MC seems to pick up that change on its own, if I give it a minute or two, and the Cover Art displays in MC. I hope this is helpful.

iansr

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 09:04:23 am »

I have a lot of albums in my library that I originally ripped in iTunes and which don't have cover art.  When I highlight all the tracks and then " get cover art from Internet" I can usually find an image.  If I then click "save cover art" the window showing the image disappears and nothing else happens.  How do I get the image to attach to the music files and be visible in my library?
Pages: [1]   Go Up