INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to bitstream audio files (DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD) to Receiver  (Read 5894 times)

daviddlch

• Recent member

I am using MC19 v19.0.67.  My PC is HDMI connected to RX-A3020.

MC19 is setup as follows:

Tools>Options>Audio>

1. Audio Device : RX-A3020 [WASAPI]

Device Setting : Open Device for Exclusive Access

: Bit Depth Automatic

: 100millisecond Buffering

2. DSP Studio : Output Format is on

Output Channel is set at 5.1 with no up or downmixing

Output Sample Rate is from 44.1k to 96k

3. Bitstreaming : HDMI is ticked

Bitstream Format includes Dolby digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD.

4. The rest is set as default.

With this setup I am able to bitstreaming Multi Ch DSF file and audio files ( attached to Video) with DTS and Dolby Digital

BUT I am unable to bitstreaming audio(video) files which are DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD encoded.

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unable to bitstream audio files (DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD) to Receiver
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:45:55 am »

What kind of graphics card do you have? Its responsible for the bitstreaming over HDMI, so maybe it will gives us some hints.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:59:07 am »

The wiki might help.  Here, for example:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DTS_WAV

daviddlch

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:12:47 am »

What kind of graphics card do you have? Its responsible for the bitstreaming over HDMI, so maybe it will gives us some hints.

My graphic card is GIGABYTE GV-N650OC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. It uses HDMI v1.3a.

Sorry I have no idea how to proceed with your hints.

The wiki might help.  Here, for example:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DTS_WAV

Unlike the early version MC19 has no manual setting for Output Bitdepth. Whenever I failed to bitstream DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD, the error message would prompt me to re examine my setting in DSP studio.

I notice that DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD are not the audio format supported by MC. But I was able to bitstream them both with MC19 over DLNA media network.

daviddlch

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:34:56 am »

Has anyone ( Hendrik or JimH ) or anybody out there succeeded in using MC19 to bitstream audio file which is either DST-HD or Dolby TrueHD encoded ?

I dont think my failure has anything to do with my setting in DSP studio despite the error messages insisted that was the reason. I can bitstream DTS and Dolby Digital file to A3020 receiver without using any features in DSP studio at all. Setting Output Format in DSP studio is only required in my case if I am bitstreaming DSF file in PCM mode.

I have tried using MC19 to decode DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD and A3020 to DAC the audio signal. But by doing so I wonder if there is any improvement in audio quality.  Personally I prefer the A3020's decoding.

Looking forward to a favourable reply. Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

I bitstream those formats all the time.

It certainly works.  I'd try updating your video card's driver with the latest one from nvidia.  One other thing I'm confused about is this:

MC19 is setup as follows:

Tools>Options>Audio>

1. Audio Device : RX-A3020 [WASAPI]

It actually shows the RX-A3020 there?  It shouldn't, at least not for HDMI out, I don't think.  It should list the VIDEO CARD, not the receiver.  For example, at home mine shows:

It would be very odd if it showed your actual receiver there.  I'm wondering if you are connected via DLNA to the receiver for some silly reason.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 12:56:51 pm »

It actually shows the RX-A3020 there?  It shouldn't, at least not for HDMI out, I don't think.  It should list the VIDEO CARD, not the receiver.  For example, at home mine shows:

Mine also shows the receiver name, must be a NVIDIA thing.

@daviddlch:
What you should double-check is go to the Windows Control Panel, in the Sound settings, find the appropriate audio device, and go to the "Supported Formats" tab.
It should list all compressed formats that it supports. If this does not list DTS-HD and TrueHD, you are having a driver/HDMI conflict somewhere. Until it actually shows up there, MC won't be able to play it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 12:58:30 pm »

Huh.  Okay, so that's not it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 01:25:19 pm »

I'm reaching here but the 650 is Kepler, right?  That's the one that is the same as the 640 but with GDDR5 instead of DDR3, right (GK107)?

They rebranded so many last-gen parts that I'm confused.

I know older Nvidia GPUs were touch-and-go on whether they supported bitstreaming well, but I think that was all fixed with Kepler...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 01:46:59 pm »

3. Bitstreaming : HDMI is ticked

Bitstream Format includes Dolby digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD.

Hmmm... One other idea, if Hendrik's suggestion doesn't help, is this: You mentioned all the formats were selected, but that leads me to believe you have the Bitstreaming option set to Custom, and not regular HDMI mode.  I've seen oddness with the Custom Bitstreaming mode, and it isn't recommended unless you really know what you're doing.

Is your setting set to Bitstreaming: Yes (HDMI) just like in my screenshot above, or is it set to something else?

daviddlch

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:30:18 pm »

Hmmm... One other idea, if Hendrik's suggestion doesn't help, is this: You mentioned all the formats were selected, but that leads me to believe you have the Bitstreaming option set to Custom, and not regular HDMI mode.  I've seen oddness with the Custom Bitstreaming mode, and it isn't recommended unless you really know what you're doing.

Is your setting set to Bitstreaming: Yes (HDMI) just like in my screenshot above, or is it set to something else?

It is set to Bitstreaming: Yes (HDMI)

@daviddlch:
What you should double-check is go to the Windows Control Panel, in the Sound settings, find the appropriate audio device, and go to the "Supported Formats" tab.
It should list all compressed formats that it supports. If this does not list DTS-HD and TrueHD, you are having a driver/HDMI conflict somewhere. Until it actually shows up there, MC won't be able to play it.

My sound card is Realtek HD Audio on Asus Mobo. I have checked and the supported format for HDMI is as follows:

Bitdepth: 16,20 and 24bits

Sample rate : 44khz and 48khz

Encoded format : DDplus,DD and DTS

Immediately I updated the Driver to v273 from Realtek website and the supported format is as follows:

Bitdepth : 16,20,24,32bits

Sampler rate : 44,48,96 and 192khz

Encode Format : DDplus, DD , DTS (no change)

and I still can't play DTS-HD and D. TrueHD

Looks like I have exhausted the possiblity. May be its time to upgrade the on board sound card inorder to bitstream DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD files via HDMI.

Any suggestion on which sound card ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 10:46:02 pm »

The sound card in your computer is irrelevant for Bitstreaming.

You want to select your video card, which has the HDMI output, as the audio device.  Modern video cards are sound cards too, with HDMI outputs.  They show up as sound devices in Windows, and in MC.

Hendrik meant you need to check the support of your Video Card's Sound Device in Windows, because that's what you're trying to use.

So, for example, I have an AMD video card, so it shows up a bit differently, but you should see something like this if you go into the Sound Control Panel in Windows:

Then, you pick that device in MC as the active device as I showed in my previous screenshot.  Now, apparently with Nvidia cards, the "device" shows up as the item to which it is connected (so, the receiver in your case).  I assume music playback works, so you probably have this selected properly.

But, the sound card is irrelevant.  It can be disconnected, the driver can be uninstalled, and it can be turned off in your BIOS.  It doesn't matter.  The video card is the sound card when you're using the HDMI output from the video card.

Find that dialog and look at the format support.  If it doesn't show DTS-HD and TrueHD, then that's why MC isn't bitstreaming those formats.  It is saying it doesn't support them.  If it does, then we'll investigate something else.

Either way, updating your video card driver is a good first step.

daviddlch

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 02:32:20 am »

Hi , Hendrik and Glynor, you both are dead right. Instead, I should update the video's sound device driver as the HDMI is one of the video card output interface.

After the Nvidia update, both DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD appear under the Supported Formats.

And well, I have succeeded bitstreaming both formats in MC19. Thank you.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:54:19 am »

Glad you got it sorted!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up