INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Sequencing When Loading an Album  (Read 2639 times)

Gumby

• Recent member
Track Sequencing When Loading an Album
« on: November 12, 2013, 02:47:13 am »

Gumby,

I am new user.  JRiver appears to be sequencing tracks in alphabetic order using the track name when adding albums by right clicking on the album in album view and using the 'Add to Playing Now' command in the box that pops.  How do I tell it to add the files in order of the tracks?  I mostly listen to classical music and want the albums loaded by track number within each album.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Track Sequencing When Loading an Album
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:38:56 am »

Are they displayed alphabetically?

Take a look at the options for "behavior" in MC.  It's under General.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:23:58 pm »

That did not help, but thanks. 

Actually, what it appears to be doing is identifying groups of tracks within an album as a separate album if the Artist for that track is different.  I originally tagged my classic music with the composers name in the artist field.  So, if the album is a compilation it breaks it up into a number of different albums depending on how many composers are represented.  The same thing happens with compilation albums for popular music.

I had customized the album view to show "categories" in order of album and then artist.  A compilation album would show up under a single icon with the multiple albums splayed on top of each other.  It was loading them in alphabetical order according to the name of the artist.

I have played with this for hours and cannot understand all the settings.  I just want albums and tracks.  In some cases I may need discs for multiple disc albums.  Seems I have made things work and cannot even find my back to where I was early.  Here is what is happening now.

In the process of trying to understand what is going on, I eliminated the artist sort from the customized view and JRiver displayed all the tracks for each "artist" as a separate album.  I then went back added artist back to the view, following album and JRiver showed one album with all the tracks properly sequenced and then all the separate albums for each artist. 

For example, the album I was working with had 6 composers.  So, with album view customized to show only the album category, it is now showing the actual album with all 11 tracks properly sequenced and six more albums for each of the composer (artists) on the album.  Those six are shown, right to left in the thumbnail view, in alphabetical order by artists.

Attached are some screenshots for an album called Anne-Sophie Mutter - Carmen-Fantasie.  This should illustrate the situation.  One screenshot has all the tracks for 'various artists'.  For the other I picked one of the six additional albums.

This is happening in JRemote also.

I have disconnected an unloaded the library several times.  I would like to delete the library and start over, and there is a command to do that, but it is not active.  It pops up a grey list of libraries to delete but clicking on them does nothing.

Any other thoughts?  I may remove the program and reload it.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 02:39:33 pm »

Replace Artist in your categories view with Album Artist (auto).  Leave the Album Artist tag clear for the album, or set it to a single value to override the Various Artists grouping.

Also, consider importing into the main library the files via UNC or mapped drive instead of using the DLNA server from your NAS.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:02:26 pm »

Thanks.  I will give that I try.  I don't intent to retag 800 CD's or so now though.  Does "importing" actually physically transfer files.  I don't have a hard drive big enough for that.  I can try mapping the drive though.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:19:09 pm »

No, it won't transfer files. MC will only refer to them.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »

What is the difference between loading and importing?  Also, I think the NAS is mapped. I created the library using the local library command and pointing it at the folders on the NAS where the files are.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 04:03:31 pm »

The local library is what you want.  One of the screenshots shows that you're using the NAS DLNA library (Filename references as 192.168.1.13://...).

When you use a local library, MC will manage all the metadata and control playback.  It is much faster.  When you load a DLNA library, the DLNA server manages the files, and MC requests playback and MC only gets the metadata that the server provides (much more limited).

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:36:16 pm »

I was wrong.  It would not let me connect locally.  I imported and things look much better although some of the albums are still split in some strange ways.  They could just be import math mistakes.

I will have to play with it more later.

Thanks for your help.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 05:04:42 pm »

You're welcome.  Album splits are almost always due to Album name discrepancies, or files being in multiple directories.

Or in views like yours where you are using Artist, be sure you understand the differences between Artist, Album Artist and Album Artist (auto):

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:13:12 am »

Understood and I will check the odd results to see if there is a problem.  But I guess if I have album view set to look at the album only, why would it matter what the other tag fields have?  I would think the logic should be get the album, which is clearly tagged correctly for all tracks?

Here is another unrelated question.

MC is showing data rates (kbps) as about half what the original files are.  See attached screenshot for one track.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 01:30:27 pm »

Album is treated specially, in that MC has an analyzer function to determine if a grouping of tracks are part of an album.  Some heuristics are used to trigger this:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums#Complete_Albums

Let's see the albums you are having trouble with.  Use the Tag Action Window, and examine the field(s) in question for consistency or [Varies].

Bitrate for compressed files will be shown relative to the compressed, and not original, data.

csimon

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 03:54:42 pm »

What is the difference between loading and importing? 

You can have multiple libraries.  Importing means populating a (local) library with your media files and metadata. Loading means switching to another library, either a local one or a remote one on another instance of MC somewhere or an external DLNA server.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 01:00:45 pm »

Album is treated specially, in that MC has an analyzer function to determine if a grouping of tracks are part of an album.  Some heuristics are used to trigger this:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums#Complete_Albums

Let's see the albums you are having trouble with.  Use the Tag Action Window, and examine the field(s) in question for consistency or [Varies].

Bitrate for compressed files will be shown relative to the compressed, and not original, data.

I have played around with and have things sorted out.  I will have to spend some time adjusting the tagging on a few more albums but it can be done gradually over time.  Thanks again for your help.

Gumby

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 01:02:22 pm »

You can have multiple libraries.  Importing means populating a (local) library with your media files and metadata. Loading means switching to another library, either a local one or a remote one on another instance of MC somewhere or an external DLNA server.

Thank you to you also.  Its working as it should and updates changes on my remote NAS within a very short time after I make them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up