INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've lost my sound!  (Read 1970 times)

sikm

• Recent member
I've lost my sound!
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:48:17 am »

I've been trialing MC19, I had 19.0.54 all set up to my satisfaction then when I loaded the program today it performed an update - to 19.0.67 - and after that I had no sound. The music appeared to be playing but no sound came out. In desperation I reinstalled MC, losing all my carefully chosen settings, playlists etc and for a brief period I had sound. Not sure what version I reinstalled. On the main page of MC an update was indicated so I clicked on that. Updated okay: sound gone again.

So I've just updated from 67 to 74 but still have no sound.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened and what I can try to get it back?

Simon,

Oz

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: I've lost my sound!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:28:38 am »

Simon, have no clue concerning the cause, but what I would do is restore a library backup from yesterday or the last time it worked.

Your settings/playlists and such will be restored that way. If that bugs, reload 19.0.54 re-restore your backup library, then repatch to 19.074.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:19:25 am »

Check the mute function.

Check the Windows volume control.  I've seen it muted sometimes for no reason.

Set up your audio device again.

sikm

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 03:04:18 pm »

Still no sound. I've reinstalled and upddated with no success. System sound is fine in fact the free version of MC - 14 - works fine. I'm really at a loss.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »

Did you set up audio again and choose the device?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 03:37:14 pm »

Curious, are you using windows 8.1? Which audio output method are you using ASIO/WASAPI etc?
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:43:09 pm »

Make sure MC14 isn't running in the background when you try MC19. Perhaps MC14 still has exclusive access to the audio hardware? That's a long shot, but I've seen crazier things.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 03:52:15 pm »

Still no sound. I've reinstalled and upddated with no success. System sound is fine in fact the free version of MC - 14 - works fine. I'm really at a loss.

Did you restore not reinstall, like I suggested?
I had 19.0.54 all set up to my satisfaction
and especially
I reinstalled MC, losing all my carefully chosen settings, playlists etc
. Reinstall blows everything out and you have to start all over again. Instead of trying to find out why, just put it back to when it worked.

If it worked under 19.0.54 it will work again without losing all your work. Go File=>Library=<Restore choose the date before your problem. Choose all the options "restore library and playlists" + "restore settings". You will be where you where when it worked. IF by any reason this does not work reinstall 19.0.54 http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84257.0 and restore again.

I doubt you changed to win 8.1 in the last two days. If your windows settings are the same as they were under 19.0.54 and you restore a backup from 19.0.54 it should work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 04:19:24 pm »

Reinstall blows everything out and you have to start all over again.

Reinstalling won't modify your settings.  Uninstalling will if you choose to remove registry entries.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:05 pm »

Reinstalling won't modify your settings.  Uninstalling will if you choose to remove registry entries.
Jim is of course right, sorry for being unclear.  ... the OP said he lost all of his settings so I just thought he must be uninstalling then reinstalling. Jim, do you think my suggestion to restore his library and settings to where they worked before, not worth it?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 05:17:03 pm »

I think your suggestion is a good thing to try.

sikm

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:43:51 pm »

Problem solved - thanks all. It turned out to be the internal settings which had somehow changed from Direct Sound.

deerhunter 42

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:11:35 pm »

I lose my sound whenever I open a web page. I still  have the trial version. Is that something only in the trial version. For instance I open the Drudge Report and the sound quits. When I close it the sound comes back. Never had that happen with my older versions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up