INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video problem with Win 8.1 [solved]  (Read 3244 times)

vladacasa

• Recent member
Video problem with Win 8.1 [solved]
« on: November 25, 2013, 12:03:39 pm »

Hi,
I'm using JRiver 19 version 74, and everything worked really great until I've installed Windows 8.1. Since then, when opening the player the first screen has a grey L shape part, masking 1/3 of the window, which goes away if I switch to audio, but comes back on the lower 5 command lists.
I've re-installed the program with no effect. Please advice.
Thank you,
Vlad

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Video problem with Win 8.1
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 12:31:54 pm »

Could be a video driver problem.

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:08:33 am »

Hi, thank you for your kind reply, but no, I've checked and installed the latest driver for the nvidia stuff (vaio machine) with the same result. Moreover this is the only program among many to exhibit this problem. Nothing runs in parallel with jriver, so this is no issue either. To get rid of the grey mask, I have to go in and out of specific window, but the problem is recurrent.
The program works as before, so is just something annoying. I'm confident that if other users shall experience eventually the same, a solving way shall appear. As a summary, the only parameter changed was the upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1.
Regards,
Vlad

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:44:41 am »

I'll split this to a new thread.  Did you check Nvidia for the driver?

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:14:32 am »

Hi, yes I did. The device was working properly, just checked for upgrades and installed the latest.
Now I've just went for the latest version of JR (today 84..) with the same problem appearing (a reverse L mask on the smaller right/down window panel, apparent from the first window and others accessed by the lower five functions from the left window). Sorry but I'm unable to attach a picture to be more specific...
Regards,
Vlad

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Video problem with Win 8.1
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:28:06 am »

Try a different skin.

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:12:07 am »

[/img]
Hi, hope I've manage to insert a picture...
I'll give it try with a new skin and report.
Thanks,
Vlad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:13:09 am »

with the same problem appearing (a reverse L mask on the smaller right/down window panel, apparent from the first window and others accessed by the lower five functions from the left window). Sorry but I'm unable to attach a picture to be more specific...

It would be nice to see a screenshot if you can manage somehow.  If you can upload the screenshot elsewhere (maybe to Dropbox) you can just post a Link and we can follow it to see the picture.

I'm wondering if it is this:

I reported this way back last May with MC18, but I still see it periodically with the current builds of MC19.  I'm not sure what triggers it.  But, if this is what you're seeing, it isn't a huge deal (though annoying): If you resize or move the MC window in any way, it fixes itself.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:19:57 am »

Hi, here is the link:

I've tried all the available skins with no result. You're correct that it isn't a big deal, get rid of it if the window is re-sized, but still...
I'm patient.
Thanks,
Vlad

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:28:10 am »

I think that's a browser problem.  You can try switching browsers in MC.  Options has a search window at the bottom.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 11:13:23 am »

That doesn't look like quite the same rendering problem that I occasionally see...

I agree with Jim.  Looks like something specific to the integrated browser support.  First thing, check which browser you have activated.  The default should be IE, but if you got it set to Chromium somehow, switch it back to IE.

If that doesn't fix it, then something is probably wonky with your IE install on that machine, but I'm not sure.

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 11:36:39 am »

Hi all,
Web browser engine was set to IE. I've just tried the other option and the program crushed. Back to IE, the same.
Interesting though, still having 18 installed, the older version exhibits the same problem...
I'll dig deeper..
Regards,
Vlad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 01:22:53 pm »

I'd check the machine for malware, browser toolbars, and junk like that.  Just guessing, but if it impacts both, it is almost certainly that something in the core IE engine (trident, or whatever they're calling it this week) is borked on that machine.

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 01:26:55 am »

Hi, Ive performed several full scans using all in hand softwares, with no hint of any malware.
The grey mask persist on all start related windows in the program.
All other programs istaled were fully browsed in all possible window showings with no trace of problem.
Reinstaled IE 10.
Thorough check of any driver not compatible with win 8.1. No reported issues.
Therefore, my sole conclusion is that bearing in mind this is the ONLY program exhibiting this issue it MUST be something wrong in JR, which is manisfesting in my particular arhitecture, and certainly others.
So Id like to keep this issue open, if there is a solution available sometimes, or in future developments.
Thank you,
Vlad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 01:03:48 pm »

Did you try uninstalling/reboot/reinstalling?  When uninstalling, uou can preserve your Library and Settings, they won't have any impact on that issue.  That's weird.  I'm not seeing it on any of my Windows 8.1 boxes.

You also mentioned IE 10... Wouldn't you be using IE11 on Windows 8.1?  It comes with it, and I don't think it is even possible to (certainly not recommended to) roll back to IE10 with it...

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 11:49:37 am »

Hi, I cannot run uninstall from programs & features neither for 18 or 19, which is strange. Any hints?
So the 19...82 was re-installed twice with no result.
You're correct about IE, I've run under win8.1 an upgrade to 11.
I've tried to run the program under troubleshooting compatibility mode, which does not function in my win 8.1(??)
So, until some unexpected change shall solve the issue, I'm enjoying the music.
Thanks,
Vlad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 12:12:05 pm »

Hi, I cannot run uninstall from programs & features neither for 18 or 19, which is strange. Any hints?

Wha??  It sounds like something is badly hosed.  Do you mean the entries just aren't there, or they don't work?

Question: Did you run some kind of "registry cleaner", "performance tweaker", or any kind of automated cleaner utility on that thing?

If the uninstallers don't work, then report exactly what happens.  If we can solve that, and get them removed/re-installed properly, then it'll likely fix other issues too.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 02:36:23 pm »

So the 19...82 was re-installed twice with no result.
You're correct about IE, I've run under win8.1 an upgrade to 11.
I've tried to run the program under troubleshooting compatibility mode, which does not function in my win 8.1(??)
So, until some unexpected change shall solve the issue, I'm enjoying the music.
Thanks,
Vlad

There was an issue with uninstalls of MC 18 failing: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82953.0 ; http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84471.0

I had the problem myself, and what worked for me was to run MC 18 and then uninstall it while MC was still running.  I haven't heard anyone having trouble uninstalling MC 19 though.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 03:14:20 pm »

There was an issue with uninstalls of MC 18 failing: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82953.0 ; http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84471.0

Yeah, I've seen this before with older versions too.

It depends what settings you have active, I think, but when you run a particular version of MC, it registers that version as the active COM instance (and the one used for Shell Extensions and whatnot).  I think something in there has occasionally blocked uninstall if the one you are trying to uninstall isn't the "active" one.  But usually, running the version once, saying yes to the UAC prompt, and then uninstalling works.

But they wouldn't just be gone from the list, and one of the two should have definitely worked, so I'm not sure what happened here.

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 03:39:04 am »

Hi, the programs are in the list, both 18 and 19, but uninstall doesn't trigger any action whatsoever.
And no I haven't run any fancy registry scan or other, this is beyond what I'll ever want to understand about computers.
So I'll give it a try to uninstall 18 while running (fancy though, when opening 19 and then 18 or otherwise, I'm prompted that the programs needs to change something on my hard drive). And then I'll report.
Nevertheless it still sounds great...
Regards,
Vlad

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 01:11:37 am »

Hi, So 18 was uninstalled while running, as suggested. Next goes 19 in the same way. PC restarted. Installation of version 87. Same problem.
Regards, Vlad

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 01:34:24 am »

Hi, After reinstalling and updating windows trobleshooting compatibility, I,ve run that, and indicated that the program opens but does not dispay correctly, and the matter was solved by the program. Thank you for your support, Vlad

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 06:51:40 am »

I'd check the machine for malware, browser toolbars, and junk like that.  Just guessing, but if it impacts both, it is almost certainly that something in the core IE engine (trident, or whatever they're calling it this week) is borked on that machine.
I don't think you're seeing an MC problem.  Uninstalling is rarely a problem.  I agree with glynor's guess.  It's something extra you've got on your machine.

My second guess is a video driver conflict.

The painting problem you're seeing is with the browser.

vladacasa

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 03:09:50 am »

Hi, everything works fine. It was indeed a video adapter issue fixed by troubleshooting compatibility. Issue closed! Regards, Vlad
Pages: [1]   Go Up