INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting down on CPU usage  (Read 869 times)

grahamk

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Cutting down on CPU usage
« on: February 26, 2003, 08:41:14 am »

I am using MJ on an old laptop to play music in my car. It works OK, but the CPU usage on this old laptop is pegged at 100% all the time when playing and this occasionally causes pauses and skips while buffering songs.

Are there any steps I can take to reduce CPU usage? Can visualizations be disabled? etc, etc..

Thanks for any tips.

Graham

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Cutting down on CPU usage
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 08:53:49 am »

My guess then is that the CPU isn't MMX (though I don't think MJ will run w/o those extensions). Way back I ran RealJukebox on two systems...one was a Pent 100 MHz w/ no MMX...the other was a Pent 166 MHz w/ MMX. The 100 would nearly peg CPU usage at over 90%. The 166 was down to about 10 to 20%. Big difference, ya know. You could try a more minimilistic player (such as Foobar).

10-27

edit: As much as I dislike W9x systems, audio playback is much better with them than NT4 and earlier (in case you have NT installed)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cutting down on CPU usage
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 09:36:18 am »

Are there any steps I can take to reduce CPU usage? Can visualizations be disabled? etc, etc..

Definitely disable visualizations.  Just switch to "None" with the display screen arrows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up