INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting from APE to Ogg or MP3  (Read 1718 times)

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Converting from APE to Ogg or MP3
« on: February 26, 2003, 06:40:34 am »

Help, please. I have downloaded and converted to monkey's Audio format 2400 adio .wav files (30+ Gigs). I have an 80 G hard drive with 40+ G free. I would like to convert the Monkey;'s Audio files to either Ogg Vorbis or MP-3 for more compression, but I don not wish to "reload" all those cd's again (less than half my total collection).

Is there a simple way to convert my music file filled with Monkey's Audio files to Ogg Vorbis or MP-3?

Or should I just switch to MP-3 or Ogg Vorbis conversion for the rest of the library, and is this reasonable?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Converting from APE to Ogg or MP3
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 07:04:22 am »

Very simple...

Select your file(s) and then go to MJ>Tools>Convert Format. You'll see a "New Format" box...change that to either ogg (set to Normal/High is around -q 7) or mp3 (use MP3 Encoder VBR set to Normal or Normal/High).

10-27

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 07:30:30 am »

Thank you for the prompt reply.
   My big question is how to convert the 30 + Gigs of music files already recorded as Monkey's Audio to Ogg Vorbis or MP-3, simply and easily.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 07:40:26 am »

Xen gave you instructions for exactly that.

Try a few before you do more.  Listen to them to see if you like what you're getting.

Explore the options.  You can decide whether to keep or discard the original file.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 07:40:26 am »

Apologies, my question was poorly stated.
    When converting my "library" to Ogg vorbis, do I need to "normalize" again since I normalized when converting the files to monkey's Audio from .wav?

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 08:09:32 am »

> do I need to "normalize" again since I normalized when converting the files to monkey's Audio from .wav?

Do you mean normalize as in Normalize or as in Replay Gain? With Replay Gain...yes, with Normalize...no (the music data was normalized on the temp wav file, then encoded to the ape's, hence no need to do it again).

The conversion of ape to ogg or mp3 will create a wav file. If you do a bunch at them at once then make sure the "delete temporary wav file..." is checked or you'll fill up your HD very quickly. The actual conversion is a background/independent process so once started you can still use MJ normally.

By the way...I love your format choice. Catch the thread on the MC9 forum titled "Attention Oggers"

10-27

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 08:21:31 am »

Thank you for the help (now that I finally got my question properly stated). Also glad you concur with my format choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up