INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oblong Meeting House in Pawling, NY  (Read 3591 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Oblong Meeting House in Pawling, NY
« on: December 04, 2013, 05:53:50 pm »

We took a little trip this week.  We left for New York on Thanksgiving Day to see my older daughter, Katie Rose.  She lives in Pawling, NY, very close to the Connecticutt border, and about an hour and a half north of New York City.  We flew into NY and spent a couple days there before going to visit.

In Pawling, Katie Rose gave us a very nice tour of the area.  It's very hilly and wooded.  It has a lot of Quaker history, and at least half the roads are named Quaker Something.

The most striking part of the day for me was our visit to the Oblong Meeting House.  It's a Quaker Meeting House (something like a church), and it was built in 1763.  It is little changed in these last 250 years.  It has a lot of dignity.

I know that some of you are wood nuts -- Mike Noe, certainly.  This is a very special piece of woodworking and history.

More pictures of the Oblong Meeting House.

A few comments...

The building had clapboard siding originally.  The shingles look about 50 years old in some places, newer in others.

A predecessor was build across the street in 1740.  There are numerous soldiers from the Revolutionary War buried around the original site.

The pictures of the inside are taken through the old and dirty glass, so they aren't very clear, but you can see what it looks like inside.  The building is open in the summer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up