INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to the JRiver network audio gadget  (Read 4551 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What happened to the JRiver network audio gadget
« on: December 07, 2013, 02:02:50 am »

I can't remember what it was called, but I'm looking for a DLNA audio receiver for a powered speaker I have.
The closest I can find is this item that requires at least 10 units to be bought:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/819560129/DLNA_Audio_Receiver_DLNA_Digital_Media.html

I can barely find anything else currently on sale, except a kickstarter for an iPod dock unit (which could work for me, but it's expensive and not too versatile).
This looked promising but is no longer on sale:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-Quality-AIRPLAY-DLNA-WIFI-wireless-audio-music-receiver-Adapter-Stereo-super-sound-quality-exceed-bluethooth/604204_1348048260.html

Anybody else have any suggestions? I cannot use an Android HDMI dongle as a solution.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: What happened to the JRiver network audio gadget
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 02:21:54 am »

JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 02:39:12 am »

Ah yes, the Id. Thanks. Looks like it's also discontinued.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 05:35:27 am »

I have one!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 05:36:46 am »

...actually, I think the "answer" is if you could see Gizmo as a zone and could push to it you would no longer needed stuff like the "id".
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 06:56:22 pm »

...actually, I think the "answer" is if you could see Gizmo as a zone and could push to it you would no longer needed stuff like the "id".

Indeed...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 07:42:01 pm »

...and all those old Andriod Phones etc can be rebirthed
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 01:32:27 am »

All I want is the wired equivalent of the ID. And it seems to be impossible to get one without it needing an HDMI capable TV.

csimon

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 05:10:45 am »

All I want is the wired equivalent of the ID. And it seems to be impossible to get one without it needing an HDMI capable TV.

The WDTV Live requires a TV connected (doesn't have to be HDMI) to set it up but once set up it can be headless.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 12:16:20 pm »

The WDTV Live requires a TV connected (doesn't have to be HDMI) to set it up but once set up it can be headless.

Thanks for the suggestion. You mean that I should be able to see a WDTV on the media network as a DLNA renderer? That would be rather nice. I think the same should be true of my PBOs.

csimon

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 12:27:49 pm »

Yes, I have two! They show up as a zone in MC. Any media streamer that can be used as a DMR would work the same, although it's sometimes difficult to find out which ones can do it.

csimon

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 12:29:12 pm »

Are your powered speakers not near the MC PC?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 02:44:47 pm »

Are your powered speakers not near the MC PC?

There are some rooms in the house that don't have in-wall speakers or their own multichannel receiver. I have two sets of powered speakers that I want to use in the kitchen and a basement bedroom. Therefore, I'm just looking for something to setup as zones. I have two Patriot Box Offices, and I guess I could try using them. I'll connect one up to the TV and see if I can play to it from JRemote.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 04:15:02 pm »

If you're feeling the DIY itch at all, you could certainly pull off something pretty sweet with a Minnowboard.  It is basically an Intel Atom-based "tiny computer", something like a Raspberry Pi, but not ARM, and it is an open platform.  One of those, a nice Compact Flash or SD card to run it off of (or a mSATA SSD if you're flush with cash), Linux, MC...

You'd have to find a case to jam it into, and it costs a lot more than a Raspberry Pi, but it is also a full-fledged PC that is hundreds of times (if not 1000s) more powerful than the Raspberry Pi and other similar ARM boxes.  Like I said, though... It is also an order of magnitude more expensive than what you were looking at.

I think you could also run a Raspberry Pi with Android and put Gizmo on it, but you'd need a way to control it as you can't (maybe yet) push from MC itself to Gizmo.  You could almost certainly figure out a way to make a Raspberry Pi into a DLNA Renderer though, and that should work.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 04:52:29 pm »

Not a bad idea at all, glynor. It just occured to me that I have an Atom (ion-based) nettop PC that I used to use in the dining room to run MC. I disconnected a couple off months ago and have been too lazy to reconnect it. In the mean time I've been using my Onkyo receiveer in that room as a DLNA renderer for MC, so no need for the nettop there. I should just move it to the spare room, set it up to WoL, and off we go.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 06:23:09 pm »

Yeah!  If you have one of those, that'd be ideal for a full fledged MC install.  It isn't that powerful but if you're just using it to receive music, it doesn't need to be at all.

I was curious, though, so I looked it up.  It is absolutely possible to use a Raspberry Pi as a DLNA Renderer:
http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/07/playing-music-on-a-raspberry-pi-using-upnp-and-dlna-revisited/

So, if you needed to do it from scratch, you could probably pull it off for less than $100 (maybe even a lot less).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 07:18:09 pm »

You could almost certainly figure out a way to make a Raspberry Pi into a DLNA Renderer though, and that should work.

I haven't really been following this thread, but I can say that I did get this to work.  I had a Raspberry Pi as a DLNA renderer out in our poolhouse for a good portion of the spring and it worked.  I don't remember why I took down, but it was working when I did.  I had some DLNA app on my phone and I could control it from my phone anywhere around the pool, it worked well enough.  It wasn't wife-perfect, but it worked.

Alex

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 03:43:14 pm »

Would something like this piece of kit work for you?
http://nadelectronics.com/products/dac/DAC-1-Wireless-USB-Digital-to-Analogue-Converter

Don't know where it sits on the budget scale. Another option anyway.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 03:11:29 pm »

Apologies to glynor, astromo and eapool - I kind of forgot about this thread. Thanks for the responses.
A friend of mine is using raspberry pi as the server in his DLNA setup. I heard that there is a variant with a better DAC for use as a renderer.

astromo: That wireless DAC is perfect, but too perfect. It's overkill for what I need, since I will merely be connecting to an Apple iPod hifi or similar via a 3.5 mm stereo jack.

csimon

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 05:11:24 am »

Another thought - do you have an iOS or Android device that you can donate to this cause? You might be able to get free DLNA media renderers for them.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 02:27:11 pm »

Another thought - do you have an iOS or Android device that you can donate to this cause? You might be able to get free DLNA media renderers for them.

I do have a 'spare' Android tablet, and the willingness to buy several more. The problem is, and this is why I ended up looking for devices like the ID, that currently Gizmo doesn't show up as a zone for one to 'push' media too. Otherwise I'd have a sub $100 tablet on a wall in every room that doesn't have a network receiver. With my current tablet (Android 2.2), I've also been unable to serve media it using DLNA with MC as the controller. One actually has to be at the tablet to 'pull' music to it.
It's something that's on the wishlist for MC, and when it's addressed, a new era will dawn in the fitbrit household. :)

csimon

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 03:13:34 pm »

There's things like http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cmc.dmr and http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en_GB - have you seen those?

Thanks for the help, csimon. Yes, I do have bubbleUPnP installed, hoping it would work for me. Unfortunately the tablet was not recognised as an available renderer in MC. Perhaps it's an Android 2.2 limitation?

I guess I should try out Pixel Media Renderer DMR too.

csimon

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 03:17:07 pm »

I don't know what BubbleUPnP does actually but the other one does say that it will appear on the network as a DMR...and people not understanding that this is what it is and complaining that it loads and doesn't do anything!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »

I don't know what BubbleUPnP does actually but the other one does say that it will appear on the network as a DMR...and people not understanding that this is what it is and complaining that it loads and doesn't do anything!

Seems promising. I might give it a go this weekend. If it works, I will be giving China more of my money.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 08:27:07 pm »

I just tried Pixel Media Renderer. It just doesn't work with MC. MC doesn't see it as a renderer. Even Pixel Media Controller doesn't see MC as a server, so something is awry somewhere. I'll keep looking.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 09:26:02 am »

I just tried Pixel Media Renderer. It just doesn't work with MC. MC doesn't see it as a renderer. Even Pixel Media Controller doesn't see MC as a server, so something is awry somewhere. I'll keep looking.
Did you turn on Media Network in MC options?  Sometimes DLNA devices are slow to show up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up