INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Organization on Samplers  (Read 895 times)

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
Album Organization on Samplers
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:29:14 pm »

Is there a way to have a Sampler (multiple tracks from differing albums) to be organized as a single thumbnail on an Album drill down, but still retain the individual Album names and Album Art by track?  Something akin to the difference between Album Artist and Artist.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Album Organization on Samplers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 03:14:37 pm »

Sure, but you'll want to probably use a new field for this.  Here's an easy way to do it:

Create a new field, called Album (sampler).  For that tracks that are in your virtual sampler, either set Album (sampler) with the name you want to call your sampler, such as Holiday Sampler 2013.

Now, modify your view and change the Album field to instead use Type: Expression, and enter the following expression:

[Album];[Album (sampler)]=datatype&[list]

Now, your [Album (sampler)] tracks will show up under both the original album name, and your sampler album name.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:55 pm »

Sure, but you'll want to probably use a new field for this.  Here's an easy way to do it:

Create a new field, called Album (sampler).  For that tracks that are in your virtual sampler, either set Album (sampler) with the name you want to call your sampler, such as Holiday Sampler 2013.

Now, modify your view and change the Album field to instead use Type: Expression, and enter the following expression:

[Album];[Album (sampler)]=datatype&[list]

Now, your [Album (sampler)] tracks will show up under both the original album name, and your sampler album name.

Thanks!
Will the newly organized "Album (sampler)" show up on an Album drill down as a single thumbnail?  I do not want multiple, single track thumbnails.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 12:59:42 pm »

I suppose it depends on what your second level category is.  If it were Genre, for example, and you drill down into the Holiday Sampler category, you'll have all the representative genres from Holiday Sampler.

For better results, change the Album expression category to this:

Expression to group by:
    listbuild(1, ;, [Album], [Album (sampler)])=datatype&[list]

Expression to display:
    FirstNotEmpty([Album (sampler)], [Album])
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up