INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protect From Deleting the Duplicate in a Group of Playlists  (Read 1647 times)

stiv32

• World Citizen
Protect From Deleting the Duplicate in a Group of Playlists
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:03:36 pm »

Hello,

I am new to the forum and JRiver community. I have been using it for a while organising my music, making playlists of some thousands of songs. I would like now to delete all duplicate songs from the database which are not in any of my playlists. In other words I need to delete only the duplicates that do not appear in any of my playlist folders.

Can I can drag and drop or copy all the playlists that matter to me in a specific folder and make a smartlist that will protect those songs from deleting, instead of other duplicates?

Thank you for taking the time to read to my post :)

I hope someone could have a solution to my problem...

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Protect From Deleting the Duplicate in a Group of Playlists
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:17:36 pm »

Are you able to place all your playlists into a single high-level group, such as My Playlists.  If so, you can create a Smartlist with the Rule:

Smartlist is not any My Playlists

and this will show you all files not in your collection of playlists.  Test this to see if it works for you.

Then from there, you can edit the smartlist again, and add a modifier to show Only duplicates of, and add the criteria you want to check for duplicates (such as [Name],[Album Artist (auto)],[Track #]).  This list will now only those files in your library which are not in My Playlists and are duplicates based on [Name],[Album Artist (auto)],[Track #].

If you're happy with the results, you can select the files, and hit Delete (and remove them from the library, or to the trash, or permanently).  Be sure you really to perform the action taken.  Look at the Filename column to see which files are going to be deleted.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:35:33 pm »

Thank you MrC for the immediate responce,

this sounds great. But can I also find the tracks that duplicate those in the playlist group?

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:12:00 pm »

I played around a bit, so:

I created a smartlist with Rule:
<Playlists is not any "My Group of Playlists">

with Modifiers:
<Only Duplicates of Album;Artist;File Size;Name>

This returns as you said all the duplicated files matching to the Modifier that are not in My Group of Playlists.

Now I need to leave only one of the duplicated files. For example those which have the smallest Filename (path).

I tried the Modifier:
<Remove duplicates of Filename (path)>

but I am not sure if this gets the job done...

Also can I find the tracks that duplicate those in the playlist group (I know I asked this at the previous post, but just for keeping all my questions at one place...)

MrC

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 06:51:02 pm »

Sorry, I haven't spent much time on this...

Try appending now a ~sort modifier, such that the thing you want stays at the top of the groups of duplicates.  The sort would probably be: Album;Artist;File Size;Name,Filename (path), assuming Filename (path) was what you wanted, or Filename (path)-d if you want that reversed.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:33:23 pm »

I'm not sure I understand what duplicates you're trying to eliminate...

If you're trying to:

Find all of the duplicate files in your library, except those that are the files themselves in your playlists, to keep those playlists from breaking that's easy.  You can do basically what MrC said (I think).  But, I wouldn't.  I'd search for those duplicates first, and then remove them (or keep the duplicate and fix the playlist to point to that file instead).

However, if you're trying to:

Find all of the duplicate files in your library, except for those files that are in the playlists, and any duplicates of those files in the playlists.  This is weird, and I'm not sure why you're doing this, but you could:

Make a smartlist that finds all the duplicates of the particular type you're interested in.
Then, make a separate smartlist that finds all the files in the playlists, and their duplicates.
Finally, make a third smartlist that finds the first smartlist, and then NOT the second smartlist.  This list would contain the ones completely "safe" to delete as you choose.

(Note: In this scenario you don't really need the first smartlist, as you could just search the Playlist folders directly as the first "search" in the third smartlist, but I'd do it this way as I'd find it less confusing and prone to error with checkboxes.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:57:43 am »

Thank you both,

So I made a folder with smartlists.

The first one has all the duplicates by Name, Album, Artist. (1)
The second one has (1) without those in Playlist Group. (2)
The third one removes all duplicates with any criteria I specify.

So in which way do I remove "All duplicates with the least bitrate"?

Also Glynor you mentioned that I can
"keep the duplicate and fix the playlist to point to that file instead"... How can this happen?

MrC

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 05:50:59 pm »

So in which way do I remove "All duplicates with the least bitrate"?

You can sort the results on Bitrate - maybe that will help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up