INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8.1-64 causes loss of MC 19 video color controls from Catalyst  (Read 2502 times)

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck

Win8.1-64 replacing Win7-32 on my HTPC running MC19 as multimedia app produces the most unanticipated problem: AMD Catalyst Control Center (video card app) suddenly lost its ability to change video brightness, contrast and colors as played by MC19. More specifically, the loss only happens when I use Red October HD rendering!

Configuration before upgrade:
AMD Anthon x4 CPU, AMD HD5670 video card with the latest version of Catalyst, Windows 7-32 Ultimate SP1, MC19.
After proper tuning this machine is able to play back HD video files up to 35Mbps bitrate with excellent performance in speed and colors. The Catalyst app is the main tool to control screen colors, while MC19 color controls are left in default. The purpose of the upgrade is to use a SSD as C drive running the new Windows.

Configuration after upgrade:
Same hardware but with SSD booting Windows 8.1-64 with latest version of Catalyst, MC19.

When using Catalyst (presumably a 64-bit version under Win8.1-64), it fails to effect any control over MC19 video screen when configured exactly as before. When I switched to Red October Standard rendering engine to test, screen control returns. Also, when I play video using Cyberlink Power DVD13, Catalyst is able to control its video color perfectly.

The issue with Red October Standard is it is simply not able to render high bitrate video - all kinds of smearing artifacts occur. So I must have ROHD to deliver high bitrate performance. With loss of Catalyst control over MC, video brightness & contrast is way too low, and colors are a bit off. I effect a temporary fix by using MC19 Color Controls. Also, playing around with madVR rendering engine does not offer a fix.

I post this issue because I believe a change of Windows from 7 to 8.1 should not cause such a problem to MC.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows 8.1-64 causes loss of MC 19 video color controls from Catalyst
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:57:25 pm »

AMD Catalyst Control Center (video card app) suddenly lost its ability to change video brightness, contrast and colors as played by MC19. More specifically, the loss only happens when I use Red October HD rendering!
This is intentional - madVR bypasses these controls because they have a negative effect on image quality. If you need to adjust the color/contrast of a video, you should be able to do so inside Media Center. (hit the down arrow while a video is playing to bring them up)

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:35:00 pm »

Thanks 6233638.

If it's intentional, then why does it work under Windows 7, but not 8.1 (or 8)? This is what throw me off.

I use Catalyst to control MC19 video colors because it has many knobs and very precise. C/B/T/S, plus gamma and dynamic range. As such my video under MC19 (Red October HD) and Win7-32 are exquisite.

But Catalyst does not control MC19 (Red October HD) under Win8.1-64 anymore. This is a devastating disappointment. Currently I resort to using MC own Color Controls. But as you know, these controls are imprecise, limited, and do not have gamma and other neat knobs.

Suggestions:
1) Fix the Win8+Catalyst problem
2) Make it work under Win8 but Nvidia cards
3) Expand MC color controls to offer a full set of precise controls.

I am sure everybody agree, correct control and presentation of colors one of the most critical feature of MC.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:56:03 am »

You should really adjust such things in your display, and not in the PC.
For perfect image, the PC should output an image as close to the original as possible, and any adjustments should be made in your TV.

The video processing in the graphics driver are usually rather low quality, which is why its strictly not recommended to use them.

Note that Red October HQ uses an external component called "madVR" for high quality video rendering, which explicitly blocks any video processing by your graphics cards for an pristine image.
You can use "Red October Standard", which will use the default video renderer and also allow the graphics card to apply its post-processing.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 08:49:05 am »

I agree with Hendrik that the first thing should be to make sure everything is set up correctly using your display's controls first.

I should have made it clear that ROHQ uses madVR as its video renderer, and this is what is disabling the controls.
If they were not disabled on Windows 7, it seems that you must have been using Red October Standard.

madVR actually includes gamma controls - you may want to check the guide that's linked at the bottom of my post for some information on the settings it provides.

felix2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:31 am »

Before I changed the OS I used Win7-32. MC19 used Red October HD/madVR. AMD Catalyst video driver had full control of Red October HD colors.

Now under Win8.1-64, I configure MC19 exactly the same - Red October HD with madVR configured precisely the same as before. Same video card but now with Catalyst driver for Win8-64. This Catalyst lost the ability to control Red October HD.

I can only conclude that madVR is not compatible with Windows 8.1-64. This is a design issue JRiver must address.

I am surprised that no other user complained of this fundamental problem.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:01:50 am »

I can assure you that madVR is intentionally not compatible with the Catalyst color controls. Whatever you did on Windows 7, it was not working as intended.

There is no fundamental problem here, as it's working as designed now. Sorry if that does not fit your expectations, but there is nothing "wrong".
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up