INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MediaController issue (using any UPNP as a controller) w/Oppo BDP-105  (Read 4754 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Found an issue where when using the Oppo's buit in DLNA browser, I can play back any MKV file and can display SUB embedded subtitles.

If however I use any media controller such a Gizmo, BubbleUPNP, etc. to play an mkv to the oppo, the subs will not work.

Is there something in the API call which presents the subs in the former but not the latter case?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
Re: MediaController issue (using any UPNP as a controller) w/Oppo BDP-105
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »

Interestingly Oppo indicates that the Media Controller needs to turn on subs.  I'm going to check JRemote and see if I missed that option, and then slap myself silly if so.

Otherwise, is it possible for it (or Gizmo) to do so?

nmt1978

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:54:51 pm »

Interestingly Oppo indicates that the Media Controller needs to turn on subs.  I'm going to check JRemote and see if I missed that option, and then slap myself silly if so.

Otherwise, is it possible for it (or Gizmo) to do so?

I have the same problem. I am using oppo 103D and use jremote to control

JRemote do not have option to turn the sub on. I turned sub on in MC (main app) but it do not solve the problem

nmt1978

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:32:30 am »

Is there anyone else here having the same problem or just two of us?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:23:40 am »

^

I have the Oppo and also MC but I don't use them to stream video, so I cannot give a practical answer; however I can give perhaps a theoretical one...

The UPnP / DLNA standard is designed for transporting single streams of either music or video (with sound). Whereas MKV is a wrapper around a video stream plus other additional material (such as sub-titles). So I am guessing that when MC pushes MKV to an Oppo then either the server or the renderer dumps (indeed is obliged by the DLNA certification regulations to dump), any material that is not a direct video stream.

You say that the Oppo can render the subtitles when it is pulling the MKV stream via UPnP; but are you really sure that it is indeed pulling via UPnP, or is it perhaps pulling via SMB? The reason why I ask is that SMB is more like opening a regular file, whereas UPnP has standards constraints imposed on it by the DLNA certification regulations.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:34 am »

I can tell you for certain that using Media Controller from Oppo it is simply opening the file via SMB, not UPNP/DLNA.  In that case, using either PGS or SUB subtitles works fine.

When using the Oppo's built-in DLNA browser, it is definitely not SMB.  When I select an MKV file to play back, SUB titles work fine; PGS subs do not.

When using JRemote (or any other media controller) to browse JRiver and "push" to the Oppo as a renderer, subs do  not work at all.  The oppo "sees" them in that it knows there is a subtitle track, but selecting it from the Oppo remote does nothing.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:53:09 pm »

*bump*

anyone have any further thoughts on this?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »

One additional note:

When using the DLNA browser on the Oppo and browsing PS3 Media Server, subs work fine.

That at least seems to indicate something with how JRiver implements this.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:23:20 pm »

A bit tricky to figure out what is going on here.
I'm going to guess that the Oppo supports separate .sub (or .srt) files. I'm thinking this is because you say it works with PS3MS and MC in pull mode.
MC when acting as a server browsed from the Oppo will present the .srt or .sub resource if they are in the same directory as the video with EXACTLY the same name other than the extension IF you have that option turned on in the advanced section of the DLNA server in MC.

Now, when you PUSH a video from a DLNA controller, the controller is going to determine what resources that it got from the server it's going to pass on to the renderer.
With Gizmo or JRemote, I'd think that the full list of resources (video file, sub) would be getting pushed, a trace would verify this.
It's also quite possible that the renderer simply doesn't support this in push mode, it's quite common for renderers to be less capable when being pushed.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 05:33:26 am »

It's also quite possible that the renderer simply doesn't support this in push mode, it's quite common for renderers to be less capable when being pushed.

bob, as mentioned in my other post, when I get home I will send you the Oppo's SinkProtocolInfo ..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:13:43 pm »

A bit tricky to figure out what is going on here.
I'm going to guess that the Oppo supports separate .sub (or .srt) files. I'm thinking this is because you say it works with PS3MS and MC in pull mode.
MC when acting as a server browsed from the Oppo will present the .srt or .sub resource if they are in the same directory as the video with EXACTLY the same name other than the extension IF you have that option turned on in the advanced section of the DLNA server in MC.

Now, when you PUSH a video from a DLNA controller, the controller is going to determine what resources that it got from the server it's going to pass on to the renderer.
With Gizmo or JRemote, I'd think that the full list of resources (video file, sub) would be getting pushed, a trace would verify this.

Hmm.  I think I may have err'd here:

The MKV files have the sub and pgs subs muxed into the file with the video/audio streams.

So they are not separate files external to the MKV if that is what you are referring to above...

But correct as you stated -- in PULL mode, PS3MS and from JR, I can enable the SUB subtitles and they display fine.

Oppo recently added PGS support in MKV, but that only works over SMB.  So I've had to demux the subs, convert to SUB and remux.  Wrote some python to automate the process pipeline :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:04:13 pm »

On last thing you could try is to see if the Oppo supports separate sub files is to extract one, put it in the directory with the movie and turn the present subtitle option in DLNA server advanced section on.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 02:50:57 pm »

On last thing you could try is to see if the Oppo supports separate sub files is to extract one, put it in the directory with the movie and turn the present subtitle option in DLNA server advanced section on.

gave that a try.  using the Oppo as a DMR, it didn't  help; seems PULL is the only way this works.

ON a side note - using JRiver, Gizmo, etc... to push content (as a controller), the chapter skip on oppo does not work properly:

JRiver - can skip back, not forward
BubbleUPNP/Gizmo - can't skip either

...this includes using the Oppo remote directly.

Chapter skip works fine using Oppo as a DLNA browser.

Weird.  Messing around with Wireshark right now to capture packets and see exactly what is flowing over the network...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 08:33:36 pm »

gave that a try.  using the Oppo as a DMR, it didn't  help; seems PULL is the only way this works.

ON a side note - using JRiver, Gizmo, etc... to push content (as a controller), the chapter skip on oppo does not work properly:

JRiver - can skip back, not forward
BubbleUPNP/Gizmo - can't skip either

...this includes using the Oppo remote directly.

Chapter skip works fine using Oppo as a DLNA browser.

Weird.  Messing around with Wireshark right now to capture packets and see exactly what is flowing over the network...
The reason why push is different is that the mechanics of the process are different. When pulling, the renderer is in control and asks for only the stuff it wants and if the renderer supports time seeking it can ask for it. Pushing we have to send all possible upnp fields and metadata. Also, the renderer may not ask for a time seek if it's being pushed, push (DMR) support is usually tacked on to devices that started their lives as DMP's (Players) only.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 09:22:49 pm »

thanks for the info.

i did manage to try some of the APIs that the Oppo's http server exposes (wish they would publish their rest API) by calling them from a rest client (and web browser).

basically through the rest APIs you can connect to SMB shares, and do various other commands.

Pages: [1]   Go Up