INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bistream and PCM info incorect in Audio Path  (Read 2226 times)

verahert

• Recent member
Bistream and PCM info incorect in Audio Path
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:34:31 pm »

Hi All, the last week I bought a new HT 5.1 (Sony HT-SS380), Windows 8.1 reports that the HT supports the following formats and bitdepth:

When i play movies with DTS and DTS-MA in (Bitstream: HDMI), the lights of the receiver turn on and is receiving the DTS or DTS-MA but when i go to the Audio Path in JRiver shows this:

DTS

DTS-MA

If i disable Bitstream and use PCM, Audio Path shows:

DTS

DTS-MA

DTS-MA movie is The.Hobbit.An.Unexpected.Journey.2012.Bluray.Remux.1080p.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.7.1-Hifi
DTS movie is The.Hobbit.An.Unexpected.Journey.2012.Extended.Edition.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264-decibeL

1- Why DTS and DTS-MA in Bitstream reports that "input" is 16-bit and 2ch from source?
2- Why DTS-MA in PCM reports input is 48khz instead of 192khz? but show 24-bit and 6ch?

Thanks in advance for your help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bistream and PCM info incorect in Audio Path
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 07:44:38 pm »

Your images aren't visible.

verahert

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:28:54 pm »

I re-upload images to another host, are visible now?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:44:24 pm »

They're visible now.

I'm not sure of the technical reason for what it is listing when bitstreaming, but the entire point of bitstreaming is that MC passes through the encoded audio (without decoding it) directly to an external decoder.  It doesn't know the internal format (how many channels and the like), as it is in essentially "passthrough" mode.  I'm not sure why it shows what it shows there though.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

verahert

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 09:13:36 pm »

I understand and i think the same, but why in the case of DTS-MA Audio Path show the correct 192khz but the incorrect 16-bit, and the other thing is in PCM that show 48khz instead of 192khz of DTS-MA is strange.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:27:51 pm »

I understand and i think the same, but why in the case of DTS-MA Audio Path show the correct 192khz but the incorrect 16-bit
Are you sure that it's a 24-bit track?

and the other thing is in PCM that show 48khz instead of 192khz of DTS-MA is strange.
Do you have an external DTS HD decoder installed?

verahert

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 09:47:15 pm »

Yes im sure because is a remux and i try with others remux and audio path show the same (16-bit) . The strange is that when i use PCM with the same mkv show 48khz and 24bit the real bitdepth of the mkv.

Example with the same MKV REMUX DTS-MA:

PCM

Bitstream

The only decoder that i installed is dtsdecoderdll.dll to decode DTS-MA in PCM as you can see en the PCM screenshot that Audio Path show dts-ma and is using the DLL.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:34:15 am »

The values shown while bitstreaming have nothing to do with the actual content of the audio.
If you have bitstreaming turned on, you can and should completely ignore the values shown there, since they are just a technical aspect of how bitstreaming works, it has nothing to do with the audio itself. The values will always be the same for DTS-HD, independent of what the DTS-HD track actually contains.

I suppose it might make sense to simply show "Bitstreaming" there in such a case instead of the values.

PS:
The movie does NOT have a 192kHz Audio track. In fact I have never seen a movie with such a sample rate. It'll be 48kHz at 24-bit, like the PCM mode suggests.
The values shown in the PCM mode are the real values, the values in bitstreaming are irrelevant.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 07:41:53 pm »

That's great info, I was just wondering about the exact same thing.

But... I will have to say that it would have saved the thread starter, the folks that has answared here as well as myself a bit of time and wondering if this somehow could have been made clear in the information shown on the screen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up