INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Media Centre 19 is unstable  (Read 1918 times)

Florence

Help! Media Centre 19 is unstable
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:54:47 am »

I upgraded from MC 17 on 19th November and despite one reinstall the product remains unstable. My previous version 17 worked perfectly, always, every time. Version 19 on the other hand is very variable in it's performance, sometimes it won't load, sometimes it loads but showing the library as empty, sometimes it loads and plays perfectly. Can you please help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help! Media Centre 19 is unstable
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:21:01 am »

Antivirus programs have caused a lot of similar problems recently.

Florence

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:49:11 am »

Thanks for your reply. The only recent change to my set up has been an attempted upgrade from MC 17 (which worked perfectly) to MC 19 which doesn't. There have been no changes to my anti virus settings.

In addition to the problems referred to in my original post there are also problems with missing cover art. On average when started MC 19 shows about 75% of saved cover art, MC 17 on average successfully loaded 99%.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:24:08 pm »

If you checked the av to permit the new version 19 (which at least with mine you have to do manually if you missed the pop-ups; I use Bitdefender btw) then try going back to version 17 then upgrading to 18 then to 19.

Jumping directly to version 19 from 17 caused me some problems on one of my PCs -- lots of changes in option configurations. This could be linked to so many things, I think its easier than trying to figure out what might be going wrong. 

If you do this , and you still have problems with artwork there's probably an easy fix, although cover art has nothing to do with stability (a backup of your library before each version up grade recommended).

Florence

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 12:32:09 pm »

I have Norton av and the request for permission is impossible to miss or circumvent, so that can't be the problem.

I'm minded to back up the library and then have another attempt at downloading 19. Is there any particular version which is recommended where there have been stability problems?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »

I have Norton av and the request for permission is impossible to miss or circumvent, so that can't be the problem.

Well - any version of Norton AV is a problem on it's own. Easily one of the worst offenders out there for instant system issues...

VP

Florence

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:44:01 am »

I take your point but Norton has been on this computer since new during which time I have run MC19 without problem.

Any answers to my previous question regarding a recommended stable version of MC 19?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:54:59 am »

Uninstall Norton and let us know what you find.

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 08:13:53 am »

Hey Florence

If you don't want to uninstall Norton (which is not as simple as it looks btw - you must use a special tool from Semantec to actually get rid of it), deactivate the firewall and the av in it - just for a test.  The fact that it worked before doesn't mean that Norton won't treat a new version as a false positive.  The vast majority of issues such as this are linked to AVs and not just Norton. It is impossible to diagnose a problem running blind if this is not ruled out first

Also, did you try going back to 17 then to the last build of version 18 before version 19 like I suggested? A lot of your configuration may need to be manually changed if you skip two versions -- things are not always in the same places on the options panel in 19.

Regarding the last stable version (listed I believe at 19.067); don't be concerned about that it would be a waste of time. Stable IMHO is a misnomer. Run with the current build so people here can help you using what they have installed. The version published on the board are not "unstable". They may introduce new features that could have a bug or two but also a lot of improvements; but nothing that would create the issues you are experiencing and are stable in a Windows environment -- they may not be stable in a "Norton" environment if the AV is stopping some of the processes or ports from running.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 09:56:16 am »

We've seen instances when disabling an antivirus or other security problem didn't help, but uninstalling did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up