Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AK120  (Read 1834 times)

jsteingarten

AK120
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:16:13 am »

Hi,

I've used JRiver media center for PC for some time now, through two or three versions, I think.  And now I have two questions:

1)  I tried to restore my version 18, used the most registration code I had received by e-mail from you some months ago, and was told it was no longer valid.  Am I doing something wrong, not unlikely, or have  you made it impossible for us to continue using version 18 without upgrading or otherwise paying you more money?

2)  I own an AK120 for storing hi-res music and playing it back through earphones or a hi-fi system.  I used my Media Center to rip some CDs directly to my AK120, then found I couldn't play them back.  This manifested in two way.  First, on the AK120 internal index, the titles appeared (specifically all four CDs of Glenn Gould's version of the Well-Tempered Clavier) but the music itself, the tracks, didn't appear and the music didn't play.  Second, when I attached the AK120 to my computer as a removable disk, the AK120 was shown in My Computer as three separate disks, which it should have.  Then, when I tried to play back one Glenn Gould from the second of the AK120 drives through my computer, I was told it was a JRiver MC18 file.  That was presumably why the AK120 couldn't play it;  obviously, there's no MC18 program on the AK120.  And, to be frank, I was greatly annoyed to learn that the CD ripping function of my MC18 is not transparent but produces proprietary files. When I started my MC, it identified the correct drive letter but thought I wanted MC19, which was not properly install.  I feel, though, that some version of MC on my computer could have played back the hi-res file from my AK120 through my computer.  But without a version of MC on my AK120, it wasn't possible to play it back.

Do I now have to re-rip those four CDs (and several others as well, some only borrowed and not now available), using a program other MC18 or MC19?  Or is there a more workable solution?

Thanks in advance....

Jeff Steingarten
Vogue magazine

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: AK120
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:04:20 am »

Hi,

I've used JRiver media center for PC for some time now, through two or three versions, I think.  And now I have two questions:

1)  I tried to restore my version 18, used the most registration code I had received by e-mail from you some months ago, and was told it was no longer valid.  Am I doing something wrong, not unlikely, or have  you made it impossible for us to continue using version 18 without upgrading or otherwise paying you more money?
 in advance....

Welcome to the forums.

The license files are only valid for 14 days, after which you can restore a new license. You can do 10 restores per year.

You can find more about the restore procedure here:
http://www.jriver.com/purchase.html

I'll leave your other question for someone else :P.

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: AK120
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:28:20 am »

Media Center can rip your CD's to formats mentioned here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Supported_File_Types

Most of the file types are an open format.  J River does not push any proprietary formats.
You can change the option at any time you please by going to
Tools=>Options=>Encoding.
This will not change the format of files you have already ripped.

If your AK120 is having problems playing one of your files then it's possibly because you've ripped them in a format the AK120 does not understand or there is a problem with your AK120's ability to play the file.
In what format did you rip the files?  

Chris Nevill
Toilet Cleaner
Pages: [1]   Go Up