INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo 19.0.107  (Read 6113 times)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Gizmo 19.0.107
« on: January 15, 2014, 04:26:33 pm »

This is the latest version of Gizmo (JRiver's Android application).  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted.

Download: http://jriver.com/install_gizmo.html [Also on the Play Store now.]

The build will move to the Play Store at a later date, after testing here.

19.0.107 / 83 (January 15, 2014)

NEW: Gizmo reacts to headset Play/Pause commands from simple one-button cable headset controls (ie. the default headsets from many phones).
NEW: Playback is automatically paused when a headset is disconnected, to avoid potentially unwanted "noisy" playback.
NEW: Optimized Playing Now view in landscape orientation.

19.0.88 / 82 (December 6, 2013)

NEW: Updated Playing Now buttons.
Changed: Added the ability to disable playback caching in Options.

19.0.50 / 81

NEW: Added ability to customize the number of files that get downloaded ahead in a playlist.
Fixed: Cache pruning was not working properly in some cases, causing the download cache to grow too large (should be capped at 512MB).
Changed: When silently reconnecting, Gizmo will issue wake requests (previously it only issued wake requests when connecting manually).

19.0.41 / 80

NEW: Repeat mode is optional (in Menu > Options > Repeat mode).
Fixed: The list of zones would not appear with build 40.

19.0.40 / 79

Changed: Gizmo uses the mime type application/octet-stream for audio file transfers to avoid ISP or carrier blocking (requires MC 19.0.39 or newer).

19.0.39 / 78

NEW: Added lock screen controls while playing on the device.
NEW: Bluetooth track information is provided when playing on the device (using AVRCP).
NEW: Bluetooth controls work while the screen is off.
Fixed: Web radio streams that were stored in the library or playlists were not playable on the device.  
Faster: When clicking the header to switch modes while connected to a dead server, the menu of choices will appear much faster.
Fixed: In some cases 'Error communicating with server' could show incorrectly on the screen.

19.0.38 / 77 (September 12, 2013)

Fixed: The cache downloader could crash in some cases.

19.0.35 / 76 (September 4, 2013)

NEW: Added thumbnail size option (menu button at top right > Options).
NEW: Added a screen lock option to keep the screen on (dim or bright) while Gizmo is showing (useful for tablet installations).
Changed: The volume up and down commands work when playing on the device (for cases when there are no hardware volume buttons).
Changed: Bluetooth play and pause commands will trigger the play/pause button (for devices without a play/pause button).
Changed: Stopping playback stops the read-ahead caching system from working ahead.
Fixed: Playback stats are fired when playback starts instead of when the cache reads-ahead for a file (requires MC 19.0.35 or newer).
Fixed: When playing a video, playback would sit at a black screen instead of return to the browse screen in 19.0.32.

19.0.32 / 75 (August 28, 2013)

NEW: Added the ability to 'Play (with Play Doctor)' from anywhere in the audio browse tree.
NEW: When a server call fails, the program will retry a few times.
NEW: The program will attempt to automatically switch the server IP address as it transitions from wifi to data.
NEW: File playback caching uses ranged requests so an interrupted download is resumed instead of restarted.
Faster: When there is no wifi or ethernet, connecting to a server will skip local addresses.
Changed: Audio playback loops the playlist until stopped (unless the playlist is only one track).
Changed: Added a system so that partial cache entries (from a crash or other problem) will never get used.

19.0.31 / 74

NEW: Improved cache system so that the playback of the first file also plays from cache (but playback still starts immediately).

19.0.30 / 73

NEW: Playback on device uses a caching system that reads-ahead and keeps files between runs, increasing reliability with weak connections.
Faster: Browsing switches screens faster.
Faster: Android 4 devices load thumbnails concurrently for improved performance.
Faster: When connected to MC19, thumbnails load faster.  

18.0.180 / 72

Changed: Errors communicating with the server show an information bubble, but don't cause the program to automatically reconnect to the server.
Changed: When acting as a remote, an error communicating with the server to get information about what's playing will look more transparent.
Changed: When playing on the device, the program will retry for up to 10 minutes to open the URL to better handle sporadic connections.

18.0.171 / 71

NEW: Totally revised Theater View remote mode.
Changed: Requires Android 2.2 or newer.
Changed: Switched to newer more efficient networking API.
Changed: Connecting will wait less time waiting for each IP address, but will retry more times (should reduce connect time in many cases).
Changed: Tuned the default timeout for web service calls to wait a little longer (should help prevent reconnects with spotty coverage).

18.0.126 / 67

NEW: It is possible to connect using an IP address.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Gizmo 19.0.107
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:33:07 pm »

Here is also a direct download QR Code to scan from your phone:
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:40:03 pm »

I'm still having seeking issues with Gizmo. For short tracks, seeking works fine. However, seeking in a 2 hour long track (continuous DJ mix) locks up Gizmo. I can't even kill under apps. MC19 is still running fine after Gizmo locks up.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 05:20:53 pm »

Here is also a direct download QR Code to scan from your phone:

Sweet.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

InsaneRC

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:45:08 pm »

Wow this looks a lot better.
Licensed User:
JRiver Media Center 12-->27

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:02:16 am »

^

Thanks Hendrik. I think you should make this post sticky...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:02:10 am »

With a Samsung S3 4.3 Jellybean (stock), I'm streaming LQ video to the handset straight up ...

It's been a while since I've been able to do this that easily. Whatever you did, you did a good job. Thanks ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 01:09:25 pm »

It's on the Play Store now.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 03:23:20 pm »

I guess one day it would be nice to have some classier icons than these...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 04:38:20 pm »

I guess one day it would be nice to have some classier icons than these...

I personally thought about those, since it really looks rather ...bland?

Theater View would just inherit icons from the contained elements (or be a main roller without any icons).
Suggestions welcome, I suppose?

Considering those are all user-configured views, we can't hard-code icons that make sense for the folder, because that would've been neat. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 05:43:53 pm »

Theater View would just inherit icons from the contained elements (or be a main roller without any icons).
Suggestions welcome, I suppose?

The new icons in MC  19.0.82 and up would probably look great in Gizmo!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 03:17:22 am »

I'm still having seeking issues with Gizmo. For short tracks, seeking works fine. However, seeking in a 2 hour long track (continuous DJ mix) locks up Gizmo. I can't even kill under apps. MC19 is still running fine after Gizmo locks up.

This is an issue with the on-device cache, which doesn't work nicely with such long tracks.
You can disable the cache in the Gizmo options for the time being, until we come up with a proper fix (or maybe just don't allow caching for tracks over a certain duration).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

connersw

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:03:24 am »

This is an issue with the on-device cache, which doesn't work nicely with such long tracks.
You can disable the cache in the Gizmo options for the time being, until we come up with a proper fix (or maybe just don't allow caching for tracks over a certain duration).

Thank you.  I had struggled with this as well on Podcasts.  I had already knocked cache down to 1 track, but disabling it completely solves the issue.

The new icons in MC  19.0.82 and up would probably look great in Gizmo!

Agreed.  Would give it some color and pop, along with consistency with MC.  Looks like Search and Commands on the Home Screen would be the only ones that would need new icons created.  After Matt did the playback buttons, I thought these might be next.  I wish we could ask him what he had in mind.  Get well Matt -- we miss you. 

robgil

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:22 am »

Cant we load our own icons?
I used to use Foobarcon which would load the icons from album art, I just put a photo of say Beethoven in my Beethoven folder and titled it ''folder'', Foobarcon would then use this to display the folder.

Also, can I suggest folder browsing? Again in Foobarcon folder browsing was an excellent way to access the library, especially as I had my library sorted into folders that made navigation easy, I used a folder called ''Rock'' for instance for all my rock music with sub folders for albums from a particular band.
So it would show ''Rock'' > ''Pink Floyd'' > then list all the albums within.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:46:26 am »

Considering those are all user-configured views, we can't hard-code icons that make sense for the folder, because that would've been neat. :)

I support the other suggestions above. And to be more specific:

1) For system pre-configured folder types (such as albums, artists, genres, years), where MC already has nice new icons, then use those.
2) For user configured folder types, either 2a) use a generic default folder icon, or 2b) let the user also choose one of the standard icons above, or 2c) let the user load his own icon image file.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:04:46 am »

Not sure the colorful icons from MC would really go well in the Gizmo theme, personally I like its white/grey/black look..... :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:06 am »

Not sure the colorful icons from MC would really go well in the Gizmo theme, personally I like its white/grey/black look..... :)

The colorful icons would at least look nicer than the present gray squares, and would not be much work for you guys. But if you insist on an "all noire look" then you could probably convert those colorful icons to shiny monochrome without too much extra work...

connersw

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:50 am »

?  It took a little for my eyes to adjust when the new icons were rolled out on MC, but I like them.  Bright color is all the rage these days.  

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 09:22:55 am »

With bland i mostly meant that every category has the same meaningless icon with no context on whats behind it, not that they should be in all colors of the rainbow. :D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

connersw

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 09:28:57 am »

Also, can I suggest folder browsing? Again in Foobarcon folder browsing was an excellent way to access the library, especially as I had my library sorted into folders that made navigation easy, I used a folder called ''Rock'' for instance for all my rock music with sub folders for albums from a particular band.
So it would show ''Rock'' > ''Pink Floyd'' > then list all the albums within.

Gizmo's views are completely configurable, so this is possible now.

Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Advanced -> Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo -> Add

If you already have a Folder or "Disk" view set up in Standard View, it will be under Library Item from Standard View. 

If not, you can create one for Gizmo only from Library Item.  Select Add from Show Categories In This Order and choose the File path radio button.  Browse to the folder you would like it to start at.  Personally though, I prefer to create all my Customized Views in Standard View first, so then they are easily transferable to Theater View, Gizmo, and DLNA Servers.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 09:33:55 am »

With bland i mostly meant that every category has the same meaningless icon with no context on whats behind it, not that they should be in all colors of the rainbow. :D

Awww. You're from Germany -- I bet your Christmas tree looks like the first picture rather than the second picture  ;)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 10:29:48 am »

Awww. You're from Germany -- I bet your Christmas tree looks like the first picture rather than the second picture  ;)

Doch!  We Germans love colorful Christmas ornaments:

http://www.wohlfahrt.com/index.php?clang=1

In any case, I'd love to see more color in Gizmo and scaling the new MC icons could be a tasteful, classy way to accomplish this...you could easily leave out a few colors of the rainbow ;)

Thanks for considering this request!

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:01 am »

Since the non bug reports seem to be tolerated:

I sure could use some sort of alphabetical jump list, I have 2500 album artists in my collection.

connersw

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 10:59:34 am »

I sure could use some sort of alphabetical jump list, I have 2500 album artists in my collection.

You can do that now as well.  Use Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo explained above and use a View that uses Category Grouping or an expression (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86709). 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 11:06:43 am »

Drag your finger down the right side.  A tab appears that you can drag.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 11:17:24 am »

That works. Thank you.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 11:34:05 am »

"Non-bug posts will be deleted."

Oops, apologies!

Hendrik, thanks for your work here. A lot of us use Gizmo every day and improvements so far have been great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up