INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo over SSH on Android  (Read 3412 times)

DancingMan

• Recent member
Gizmo over SSH on Android
« on: January 20, 2014, 03:19:13 pm »

I've set up an SSH tunnel into my home network to access MC remotely.  When I'm out, my laptop works great - port forwarding allows me to run MC client to access library or I can access Webgizmo.

My android tablet is another matter... when I am out, port forwarding allows me to access Webgizmo (video stutters badly); but the Gizmo app crashes trying to connect.  I use the same ip/port that works for Webgizmo (127.0.0.1:52199).  Can the Gizmo app run through a forwarded port?  Do I need to forward other ports as well?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo over SSH on Android
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 03:46:02 pm »

The wiki has a  topic called Network Access.

127.0.0.1 is an internal address with a special meaning.  It's the same (local) machine.

You need to give Gizmo the outside address of your LAN.

But easier than that, use Media Network options to generate an Access Key and enter that in Gizmo.  JRiver's server will keep it up to date.

DancingMan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »

I had set my local port (127.0.0.1:52199) to foward through my ssh tunnel.  Firefox can go to that ip/port and is forwarded to Webgizmo on my server at home, but the Gizmo app crashes.

I know I can use an access key to reach my home box (works great) and I can set a user id & password to restrict access, but what other protection is there?  Is the traffic encrypted?  If I 'dial home' from a Starbucks, will anyone there with a sniffer be able to see all of the traffic (including the user id & password)?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:45 am »

52199 on localhost is used by Gizmo for its internal cache streaming.
I would suggest to put your SSH tunnel on another port, say 52198, and try with that again.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DancingMan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22:49 am »

The SSH tunnel is on a different port.  I realize that MC, Webgizmo, & Gizmo use 52199.  I have my tunnel on port 50000.  I can't just set all ports to forward through the tunnel without rooting the tablet, so I have to list the specific ports that are forwarded.  I set port 52199 on my local box to forward through the tunnel to port 52199 on my server at home.  With these settings on my laptop, I can run an MC client and connect through the tunnel to the library server at home.  I can also run a web browser and connect through the tunnel and get to Webgizmo.  On my tablet, using the same setup (tunnel on 50000 and local 52199 forwarding though tunnel to server 52199), I can also use a browser and get to the Webgizmo page... but the Gizmo app crashes.

I'd like to have my traffic secure.  If using Gizmo with an access key and a user id & password to connect straight through the internet to my house has encryption, then I can probably use that method.  If not, I'd like to forward the traffic though the ssh tunnel.  It seems like I can access the MC server through the tunnel multiple ways.... just not through Gizmo.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:36:30 am »

Gizmo will try to open a local socket on port 52199, so if your tunnel uses it, Gizmo cannot function. Which means you should setup the forward on another port.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 07:08:25 am »

I had set my local port (127.0.0.1:52199) to foward through my ssh tunnel.

I think you need to forward a port from the eth0 and not lo (assuming that's how its designated on android as well). Iow, I think you're forwarding a port for the wrong interface.

But I could very well be wrong; I don't know jack about android and ssh tunneling  8).

DancingMan

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 05:27:12 pm »

Thanks for the tips, but it seems like SSH isn't the way to go.... OpenVPN on the other hand works great!

Thanks again for the help.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 12:45:50 am »

Cool!

Out of interest, did you generate a key for your clients and how did you get that on your android device? I looked at it a while back but couldn't see how to share the key.

DancingMan

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 06:58:11 am »

I have dd-wrt on my router (it has openvpn software built in), so I looked up 'dd-wrt openvpn' and found a couple of tutorials on how to set up that end.  For my tablet I use 'OpenVPN for Android'... you can set certs and keys (and everything else) pretty easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up