INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integrating AppleTV  (Read 1628 times)

Hometownwesty

• Recent member
Integrating AppleTV
« on: January 22, 2014, 07:42:15 am »

Sorry to post stupid questions all over the place, but before ripping my living room apart and investing in entirely new hardware I just want to make sure JRiver is the way to go for me and there will be no drawbacks other household members will hold me responsible for.

So aside from my TV-issue I need to figure out how to integrate my Apple TV.
I use it solely for renting movies (so if anyone has an idea for renting movies through JRiver: that would do it for me, too. Only hiccup is: it must be available in Germany).
Since I’d like to do away with my AVR in the long run and replace it with an htpc I need to find a way of running the ATV through JRiver.
Gigabyte is offering a mainboard with SPDIF-input (namely the GA-Z87MX-D3H model). Could I run the ATV’s video signal to my TV while running audio through JRiver via that SPDIF in? Would that still give me 5.1 sound?
I can’t find any information how that Gigabyte-input is handled internally, and if it supports 5.1.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Integrating AppleTV
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:44:19 pm »

Possibly ...

S/PDIF has limits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=S/PDIF
S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless formats (such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) which require greater bandwidth like that available with HDMI or DisplayPort.

So, if that fits your functional requirements then it appears to have a chance on the surface.

The devil is always in the detail so if there's more to it then, being a straight forward stereo listener, I'm not in a position to offer up much more.

All the best ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hometownwesty

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »

Thanks for the heads up.
As stated in my other thread my second major issue is integrating encrypted tv channels, and I guess the only viable solution is using a hdmi splitter and a capture card.
That should also take care of the Apple TV issue.
I'll let you know how it turns out, should I actually take this path.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:53:01 pm »

Sounds like you've been finding the same posts that I've been reading and the thought of a splitter did occur to me. I did pick up that not all splitters are the same. Some work, some don't. All the best ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up