INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you change the online database?@  (Read 7864 times)

zenpmd

• World Citizen
Can you change the online database?@
« on: February 02, 2014, 10:18:05 am »

I am consistently disapointed by its accuracy and not even finding some discs. DBpoweramp does ripping better. Can I manually check other databases when ripping in jriver? Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can you change the online database?@
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:50:13 am »

No.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 12:14:23 pm »

I am consistently disapointed by its accuracy and not even finding some discs.

Please consider submitting your entries after you've filled in the metadata.  Since YADB is a user-contributed database, all of our contributions are helpful to everyone.

I have some scripts that will populate the metadata, even for a CD entry, using discogs or amg (see the 3rd party forum).  If populated before the rip, the data caries over to the tracks, of course.  And you can submit it to JRiver's YADB so others can benefit.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:03:44 pm »

I dont understand what you are saying MrC?

I did some tests use dbripper and they all worked ok

MrC

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:43:58 pm »

dbripper has nothing to do with MC and the two databases it queries (JRiver's YADB, and FreeDB).  So your tests only validate that some other database used by dbripper has your CD entry.  Use whatever tool works for you.

What I'm suggesting is that you help contribute to YADB so other can get better results when they try to obtain CD metadata with the same disc.

I'm hoping your goal here isn't to make the My Tool is Better than Your Tool argument, and that you want to help improve MC.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:07:28 am »

Please consider submitting your entries after you've filled in the metadata.

Oh! I have been using MC for years, and I never realized that it has this feature!!   :P

I never used MC for ripping (ca. 11'000 tracks). I used to use iTunes but now I use dBpoweramp (for its AccurateRip feature). I only use MC for browsing and playing the music, and very occasionally for fixing the odd error in the original tags. So are you saying that I can, (respectively requesting that I should), upload my tags to YADB? And how does one do this?

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 03:11:05 am »

So are you saying that I can, (respectively requesting that I should), upload my tags to YADB? And how does one do this?

You can!
Select an Album and in the right-click menu select Library Tools -> Submit Track Info to Online Database
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 03:51:11 am »

^

Ok. Expect about 11'000 tracks coming to your way soon...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

gappie

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 06:11:41 am »

You can!
Select an Album and in the right-click menu select Library Tools -> Submit Track Info to Online Database
i forgot about this. must have been several years ago that i did submit what i had. now its all there. 20000 tracks.

so i wanna promote doing this. its easy. and when enough people contribute it will make the database better.

:)
gab

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 07:04:51 am »

You're the new Ambassador of Submit Track Info.  Thanks.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 07:12:28 am »

Just submitting over 10,000 entries as I write this.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 08:59:11 am »

Almost all my albums have complete basic tag information (i.e. correct track names, dates, artist, etc.), but I'd been putting off submitting because I'm always fussing with some of the "minor" tags (like genre). 

But some info is always better than none, so I'll be submitting all of my tracks that have substantially complete information (about thirty or forty thousand) over the next few days. 

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 09:14:18 am »

I'd submit my library, but it's probably not a good idea until MC standardizes on a method to identify album versions rather than having to use customs tags.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 09:20:21 am »

I'd submit my library, but it's probably not a good idea until MC standardizes on a method to identify album versions rather than having to use customs tags.
I don't think there's any harm in doing it now.  At least the tags will be available if you ever need to start over.

The track info database uses a fingerprint of the audio on both upload and download, so the same track will get the same tags.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:49:05 am »

I submitted an entire album.
Then I did a lookup.
As usual I get "No information found for these files"
Something broken?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 11:55:34 am »

I submitted an entire album.
Then I did a lookup.
As usual I get "No information found for these files"
Something broken?
Try it again.  It takes a few minutes before the database is updated.  I tried a track and it worked.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 11:58:12 am »

It takes a few minutes before the database is updated.

Especially now that you got tons of people uploading tens of thousands of tracks. Hopefully the server can handle the load.  :P

Vincent Kars

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 12:25:00 pm »

Try it again.  It takes a few minutes before the database is updated.  I tried a track and it worked.

I did right now, 8 hours later, but I got exactly the same "No information"

The Album: Alexandre Tharaud plays Couperin tic, toc, choc

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 12:35:17 pm »

Did you select the files and then do Submit Track Info?

Vincent Kars

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »

Yes, that is exactly what I did

BTW I have submitted a lot in the past (MC14) but almost all of the time the lookup fails.

A curious one is in the attachment, 2 tracks submitted this morning.
One track retrieves the info, the other not

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 12:51:28 pm »

Yes, that is exactly what I did

BTW I have submitted a lot in the past (MC14) but almost all of the time the lookup fails.

A curious one is in the attachment, 2 tracks submitted this morning.
One track retrieves the info, the other not

I'm getting some odd results myself.  I uploaded an album about 9am, and when I tried to lookup the track info for that album it found 9 out of 12 tracks?  

There's definitely something a little odd going on with the lookup, but I'll try again tomorrow and see what I find.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 01:35:59 am »

I submitted mine yesterday, and a few random tracks i tried to use Lookup on this morning all don't work. Weird.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

gappie

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 01:57:48 am »

i too checked an album that was not in yadb before, but i submitted it yesterday, it finds 6 of the 12 tracks.

:)
gab

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 06:23:27 am »

OK great - I will submit the whole lot :)

In my experience DB is a lot better for ripping, faster too. J river of course remains unequalled for everything else and I love it! :)

MrC

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 01:19:34 pm »

The track-based look-ups using fingerprints could be improved dramatically, and maybe will get some attention in the future.  Perhaps the fingerprinting should be enabled and recorded by default when Audio Analysis occurs.  Also, a ripped CD should correlate the CD's ID with the tracks, so that future track look-ups can use that saved ID and interrogate the CD lookup database.

I've had very good results with my AcousticFingerprint scriptlet for pscriptor, and it has been a fun project.  One limitation of fingerprinting; you cannot positively identify which album a track comes from, since the same recording may be found on many albums.  You can get Artist and Name, and lots of audio or musicality stats. With some context (like the names of all the other tracks being examined in sensible grouping), Album or album release version is a challenge.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 02:15:12 pm »

Perhaps the fingerprinting should be enabled and recorded by default when Audio Analysis occurs.
I checked some of my songs that are on multiple albums. The Peak Level (R128), Dynamic Range (R128) and Dynamic Range (DR) have different values. Not every value is different, but if at least one tag is different then that info could be used to match a song to an album. Of course this probably only works with lossless formats.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 02:44:13 pm »

The track-based look-ups using fingerprints could be improved dramatically, and maybe will get some attention in the future.  Perhaps the fingerprinting should be enabled and recorded by default when Audio Analysis occurs.  Also, a ripped CD should correlate the CD's ID with the tracks, so that future track look-ups can use that saved ID and interrogate the CD lookup database.

I've had very good results with my AcousticFingerprint scriptlet for pscriptor, and it has been a fun project.  One limitation of fingerprinting; you cannot positively identify which album a track comes from, since the same recording may be found on many albums.  You can get Artist and Name, and lots of audio or musicality stats. With some context (like the names of all the other tracks being examined in sensible grouping), Album or album release version is a challenge.

I guess I didn't realize that the CD database was entirely separate from the track database (I assumed they were linked).  Linking it to the CD could help solve the problem of fingerprinting lossy formats, and would definitely help populate the CD database.  I can't tell you how many albums I've ripped only to realize too late that I'd ripped them with no data, which I then carefully filled in afterwards.  

I wish I'd known the lookups were separate sooner; I've probably ripped three hundred CDs in the last few months alone, and probably did a lot of unnecessary manual data entry   :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up