INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums showing up multiple times in tree  (Read 1610 times)

demoleon

• Recent member
Albums showing up multiple times in tree
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:03:28 pm »

I have set up quite a few trees to be able to browse my library.  One I have is Label\Label\Album\Disc.  (I have a lot of classical albums that have multiple discs per album.)  Several of the albums are showing up multiple times at the Album level and it looks like it has to do with those albums having different artists on different tracks.  But this tree doesn't have anything to do with artists so I don't see why this is causing a problem.  I have tried deleting the Album Artist and Album Artist (Auto) tags but this just gives me a warning and if I select OK then deletes my Artists field.  Is there any way I can avoid this?  I have a separate tree for artists so all I want here is each album listed singly regardless of the number and distribution of artists among its tracks. By the way my artists are semi-colon delimited lists.

John

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Albums showing up multiple times in tree
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »

Screenshot please, one that includes the tree you mention, and a file list of the stated files, showing at least Artist, Album Artist, and Album.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

demoleon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:26:27 pm »

Here is the info you requested. 

John

MrC

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 07:34:30 pm »

Ok, one more request.

Can you select all the tracks for one of the album's that shows multiple times, and and use File > Export Playlist.  Select:

Format: Text File (CSV delimited)
   Included Fields: All Fields
   Output Range: Selection

Save it to the Desktop, zip it, and attach it in a reply here.

What you are calling "Trees" are Views (in the MC Tree).

Where are you seeing the split - when you expand the view in the tree, or in the main category list or in the file list?

MrC

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:36:33 pm »

Oh, and also.  Don't set or clear Album Artist (auto).  It is an automatically calculated field, and will derive its value from your Artist and Album Artist values.

As you've noticed, if you clear Album Artist (auto), and you didn't set it, it can have unexpected consequences.

demoleon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:05:12 pm »

Here is the info you wanted.  The duplicates show up on the right hand side in the album thumbnails.  When I expand the view in the actual tree on the left the album is only displayed once.

John

MrC

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 11:41:15 pm »

I apologize for both taking so long to answer, and for asking for so much data.  Your data looks good.

Since MC is a track-based program, it uses special heuristics to determine if a set of files constitutes an album.  One of those is that the automatic field Album Artist (auto) needs to be the same value across all the tracks in a single- or multi-disc album.

So, your solution is simple.  Set Album Artist to a single value for all the tracks in all the discs, and this will cause Album Artist (auto) to become a single value, regardless of the fact that you have different sets of Artists.  Hit F5 to refresh the view when you're done.

You'll have to select a value that makes sense to you; it could be the same value that MC uses -- (Multiple Artists) or it could be Various Artists, or whatever...

demoleon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 08:51:20 am »

Well that did the trick.  Thanks so much.  I guess I just thought that the album title would determine what tracks were in an album.  Anyway I don't use album artist for anything so having that populated shouldn't cause me any problems. 

Thanks again,
John

MrC

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 11:54:41 am »

Great news, thanks.

... guess I just thought that the album title would determine what tracks were in an album.

This would make for a very, very large multi-artist album named "Greatest Hits".
Pages: [1]   Go Up