INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wake on LAN issue MC 19.0.108  (Read 3852 times)

Manhole

• Recent member
Wake on LAN issue MC 19.0.108
« on: February 06, 2014, 08:09:26 pm »

I've got a windows 8.1 HTPC using Media server streaming to a remote windows 7 PC client.  Both are using MC 19.0.108.  I can not get the PC client to successfully wake up the HTPC using WoL.  The HTPC will successfully wake up if I use Gizmo, either over LAN or WAN.  Also, I can get a windows 7 PC client to wake the HTPC over LAN.

Once the server is awake, the remote client can successfully stream from it indefinitely, and properly prevents it from sleeping.  Once it stops streaming, the HTPC will fall asleep according to its settings.

Anyone experience something similar?  I would have suspected my router blocking the magic packet, but the Gizmo working is kind of killing that theory for me...

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Wake on LAN issue MC 19.0.108
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:42:00 am »

Gizmo over wan (cell network) wakes the server but the wan PC client (over the internet) doesn't wake it however a lan PC client does?
Correct?

Manhole

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:11:34 pm »

correct

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 02:35:02 pm »

correct
Then I'd think there are only 2 possibilities.
1) The PC firewall or network you are using the PC to wan over is blocking the outbound WOL packets that are going to your home gateway/router.
or
2) MC isn't trying to send WOL packets to a non-LAN address.

Manhole

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »

I finally got around to asking the IT guy at my work about possible magic packet filtering.  He confirmed that WoL should/does work from our network, as he uses WoL (unrelated to JRiver) for his own home setup from work.  An additional piece of info is that I can wake the server over WAN when my android device is on the WIFI for my work guest network, so I know they don't filter the magic packets for that part as well.

Is there something that I could have done wrong in the set up of the client/server (settings, etc) that would enable WoL but not from WAN PC client?  Gizmo is a totally separate app so I thought maybe there's something specific I had to do beyond the basic meida server setup. 

My suspicion is that it has to do with JRiver windows, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this further.  I may try to update all the pc's with the latest JRiver build, but none of the update notes appear to be about WoL features.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 05:58:42 pm »

IIRC Gizmo explicitly implements this over a WAN connection.
I suspect MC as a client doesn't.
Will check when I've got a chance..
Bump this if you don't hear back in a while.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:40:49 pm »

I think it does, but I'm not certain.

Any router or firewall would have to allow the packets.

Are you running Media Server on Windows start?

Manhole

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:29:07 pm »

On my home htpc, I have media server running at startup (which appears to work as intended).  The other PC's do not, if I correctly understand how I have set them up.

Manhole

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:15:26 pm »

IIRC Gizmo explicitly implements this over a WAN connection.
I suspect MC as a client doesn't.
Will check when I've got a chance..
Bump this if you don't hear back in a while.

Bumping as requested.  I rebuilt my HTPC (for other reasons) and I'm now on MC 19.0.117 on both the client and server.  I'm seeing the same behavior on the Wake on WAN (not working from a remote PC).  Gizmo still works.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 01:06:35 pm »

Ok, I checked it.
It works fine if you use the access key.
You can't use just the IP because the info for the magic packet (the mac address) is only available with the access key.

Manhole

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 12:23:52 pm »

Sorry to necro this topic, but I found the root cause of my issue.  It turns out that Wake on LAN/magic packet stuff only works on my 8.1 pro machine if I leave the "only allow magic packet to wake this machine" option unchecked, but keep the "allow this device to wake the computer" checked.

If I have both checked (which I would think should still work, as I only do want magic packets to wake the machine) then jriver fails to wake up the machine over WAN.  Leaving the  "only allow magic packet to wake this machine" option unchecked kind of solves my issue, but creates a minor issue in that my machine wakes up from sleep at times that I wish it would not, because the ethernet adapter gets some impulse from some other device/program in my household.

Anyway, I thought I would share this info in case other people are having similar issues, or in case the devs feel that this is not intended behavior.  Thanks for your help and support on the program, I use it daily and love it!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 12:30:16 pm »

Thanks very much for posting what you found.  It may help me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up