INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Auto Move/Rename importing Files ?  (Read 3093 times)

+DS_DV+

• Recent member
How to Auto Move/Rename importing Files ?
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:38:06 am »

Hi,
i finaly set up my MC19 so i got an External HDD with about 500GB music (some in folders some only wildy mixed Mp3s)

I setp up settings like name the Folder [Artist] \ [Album] - [Year] and also set the Folder to my NAS Z:\\Music

but if i set import folder (external hdd)  E:\  MC19 imports into libary but dont move / rename it to my nas.

So question is how to make that happen ?

____

I also tryed setting up autoimport from C:\\User\...\Music\ and moved some files thaere but same Problem.

with best +DS_DV+

PS sorry for my bad english im no nativ speaker6

BernhardS

• World Citizen
Re: How to Auto Move/Rename importing Files ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 08:59:40 am »

"Import files" means import into your library. You have to select the imported tracks in MC and with   Tools > Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy Files...    you can do the rest.
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:12:33 am »

MC does not Move/Rename on Import like Media Monkey or iTunes.  As BernhardS stated, you must do it manually w/ Rename, Move & Copy Files after import.  Personally, I would like to see this feature added. 

I setp up settings like name the Folder [Artist] \ [Album] - [Year] and also set the Folder to my NAS Z:\\Music

I'm assuming you did this under Tools -> Options -> File Location, correct?  If so, this is only for ripped media.  I wish it was for imported downloads as well. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:39:40 am »

This is a feature that I hope to add to MCAutoQueue at some point.

If Rename, Move, and Copy could be called via the command line (right now, you can only open it, not actually do useful work with it) then it would already handle it.  I'd need a way to call Rename, Move, and Copy via the command line and be able to:

1. Give it a particular file as an input.
2. Select a particular saved "profile".
3. Apply it programatically.

As it is, I might code some kind of replacement myself.  But that's a ways off, and I guess I'd hope that they'd add something more useful to the built-in tool so that it could be automated.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BernhardS

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:28:55 am »

MC does not Move/Rename on Import like Media Monkey or iTunes.  As BernhardS stated, you must do it manually w/ Rename, Move & Copy Files after import.  Personally, I would like to see this feature added. 

I'm assuming you did this under Tools -> Options -> File Location, correct?  If so, this is only for ripped media.  I wish it was for imported downloads as well. 

+1

... For me it must be an optional feature. In some cases I want to edit tags after import and before I use the Rename, Move & Copy Files Tool. For example: I import tracks, ripped from a CD with Various Artists. Personally, I store these tracks in the folder Artist\Album.
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

connersw

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:19:30 pm »

Very cool Glynor--I'll keep my eyes peeled for updates.

I agree BernhardS, it should be an optional feature and turned off by default.  MC should not move or rename files unless you turn it on and tell it specifically to do so.  Once you understand what it can do though, and set it up correctly, it would be nice to have the option to turn it on.

+DS_DV+

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 10:35:10 am »

Ok so is there a fast / good solution for m problem ?

Because i fdont have the time to rename copy / move 500 GB Files manuly!

or should i install MediaMonkey too and use that ? ( i buyed JRiver to get away from MM and use of multiple tools)

with best +DS_DV+

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 12:45:16 pm »

The quickest and easiest solution would be to:

1. Create a Smartlist that shows you files that have been imported from your E: drive
2. Use the Rename, Move & Copy tool on all of those files at once to move files to your NAS.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

+DS_DV+

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 06:00:39 am »

The quickest and easiest solution would be to:

1. Create a Smartlist that shows you files that have been imported from your E: drive
2. Use the Rename, Move & Copy tool on all of those files at once to move files to your NAS.

Ok done i think needs 11 Hours to copy them (but i dont know how to create a smartlist)
i only selected them all ?!

with best +DS_DV+

PS: is there a way to auto tag all these Music at once?
( i tryed selecting all and click on tools get tag from internet and he worked several hours
but he only founds 7k tags out of 50k and most of the music are classics and pop)

MrC

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 01:47:21 pm »

To create a Smartlist, go to Playlists and right-click Playlists.  Or press F9.  Create rules and use any modifiers you need.  You'd want Filename (path) starts with E:\ ...

The JRiver audio look-up database is not as richly populated as the CD database for tags, so you'll have less luck.  There are other tools that can help populate tags on ripped files.  Ask if you want some suggestions.

+DS_DV+

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 04:18:47 am »

[...]Ask if you want some suggestions.

Yeah taht would be great :)

I know these must be questions asked every 2nd day but i tryed MediaMonkey (wich worked but not as well as i hoped) Foobar200 (wich i dont get to work) and WinAmp (cant handle the mass of music)

with best +DS_DV+

MrC

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 06:04:22 pm »

You're looking for taggers that do Acoustic or Audio Fingerprinting.  Many folks use tools like Jaikoz Audio Tagger or MusicBrainz Picard.  These fingerprint the audio and compare the results with previous user-submissions, and tag your tracks with the information returned.

I also wrote an acoustic fingerprint scriplet to my pscriptor tool, and it works well, but I have not released that scriplet yet because a required binary file is not readily available (so I'd have to compile it for Windows and make it available, and I've just not done that yet - I have done it on the Mac).

Maybe these will help you out.

+DS_DV+

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 07:01:45 pm »

[...]
Many folks use tools like Jaikoz Audio Tagger or MusicBrainz Picard.
[...]

Ill give them a try thanks for the recommendation.

I think audiofingerprint is ok for me so.

with bets +DS_DV+

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 03:41:01 pm »

MC does not Move/Rename on Import like Media Monkey or iTunes.  As BernhardS stated, you must do it manually w/ Rename, Move & Copy Files after import.  Personally, I would like to see this feature added...
Me too.  I'd love to be able to drop new files in some user-selected directory, then have MC19 automatically rename, move and import them while I'm off doing other stuff.

Marc
THAT's what I'm talking about.

MrC

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 04:33:33 pm »

Auto-import with a rule to change the Filename can do this.

connersw

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 04:40:13 pm »

Filename and Filepath? 

Do you have an example for something like  /Music/[Album] - [Artist] [[Year]]/[Track #] [Name] - [Artist]?

And will everything move or will artwork, text files, etc be left in the old directory?  I'm definitely paying attention if it can be done. 

MrC

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 04:55:43 pm »

Filename = Filename (path) + Filename (name).

There's not much too it.  Just add a rule for any of Filename, or Filename (path), or Filename (name), and MC will move the files according to your rule.  So for you example:

Filename => /Music/[Album] - [Artist] [[Year]]/[Track #] [Name] - [Artist].[File Type]

I'm not sure how the extra brackets around [Year] will work on the Mac.  You might need to escape them, but the expression language escape is the forward slash, and I haven't tested much of the expression language on the Mac.

MC will use the rule to move anything it is importing, audio files, artwork, or otherwise.  You just have to be sure your rule works with tagged and untagged files, if your rule uses tags.
Pages: [1]   Go Up