INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video jerky since latest upgrade  (Read 2872 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Video jerky since latest upgrade
« on: February 09, 2014, 01:10:54 am »

I am now on MC 19.0.108. Since this latest upgrade (I think - it may have started earlier), I can no longer watch video. It is very choppy; pretty much unwatchable. ( My files are on a NAS and I am watching on my PC).

If I use Windows Media Player on the same file, it plays back smoothly without a problem.

Any ideas? As I mentioned, this problem didn't occur earlier, although I may not have played video in the last MC version release or two.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video herky-jerky since latest upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 01:24:32 am »

Try disabling Hardware accelerated decoding. Its really the only change made recently that some of the behavior changed here, which could cause this on some systems.

If that doesn't help, please give some details about your system and your setup.
Which CPU? Which Graphics card?
Red October Standard or Red October HQ?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:50:55 pm »

I had the same problem watching NBC Olympics HD.  It was RO HQ; setting it back to RO normal solved it.   Using a new Mac Mini i5, 4 GB ram.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:55:42 pm »

Sounds like a performance problem then. I don't have the spec of the Mac Mini in front of me right now, but I assume it doesn't have a beefy graphics card, which RO HQ does need.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »

Sounds like a performance problem then. I don't have the spec of the Mac Mini in front of me right now, but I assume it doesn't have a beefy graphics card, which RO HQ does need.

Yeah.  It depends which one you have.

The high-end Core i7 Ivy Bridge one I have can handle ROHQ (even under Parallels Desktop).  However, if you have an older one, or one of the cheaper i5 versions, you'll probably need to go with RO Standard (or tweak the default madVR settings).  None of the current models have discreet GPUs, so that means Intel HD Graphics 4000.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Darth B

• Recent member
Re: Video jerky since latest upgrade
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:45:54 am »

I've been have problems too.  I have AMD 5600.  I've tried adjust madVR settings with little/no success. I thought it might just be me.  I've tried enabling and disabling hardware acceleration.  Didn't change anything.  The jerky playback was real for me when watching "The Hobbit" DVD version.  Blu-rays didn't seem as bad.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:54:53 am »

I have somewhat jerky video in some older DVD TV series when panning (Babylon 5) but otherwise it is fine ... and I am running MC19 on a bootcamp MacMini i5 late 2011 with 4 Gb in ROHQ mode.

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:55:53 am »

I noticed the same drop in performance on RO HQ, tweaked some madvr settings and found that enabling fullscreen exclusive mode fixes all choppiness in a heart beat. that being said i went from unwatchable to Jinc 8 taps fluid =)  hope it helps

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:04:33 pm »

I have somewhat jerky video in some older DVD TV series when panning (Babylon 5) but otherwise it is fine ... and I am running MC19 on a bootcamp MacMini i5 late 2011 with 4 Gb in ROHQ mode.
If these are PAL DVDs, it may be unfixable due to poor standards conversion. (so many PAL DVDs of '90s shows are terrible)

However, you might want to hit CTRL+J and check the stats - it may be caused by dropped frames or deinterlacing issues. (e.g. cadence breaks)

that being said i went from unwatchable to Jinc 8 taps fluid =)  hope it helps
For what it's worth, Jinc 3+AR is generally considered to be the best option. Jinc 8 can introduce a lot of artifacts.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 03:00:30 am »

They are indeed PAL DVDs. Good to know MC isn't to blame ... but I knew that already. XBMC gave me the same results and so did playing them "straight" in VLC. If it is a conversion issue, would it be a good idea to buy the NTSC version instead? Where can I find more about this conversion problem?

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Video jerky since latest upgrade
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 11:09:37 am »

For what it's worth, Jinc 3+AR is generally considered to be the best option. Jinc 8 can introduce a lot of artifacts.

cool thanks fit for the tip, Yeah makes sense i watch a lot of low res video clips so the difference might be lost on me for my purposes though im guessing that 8 taps is still more taxing on the system?

mykillk

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Video jerky since latest upgrade
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 05:50:45 pm »

cool thanks fit for the tip, Yeah makes sense i watch a lot of low res video clips so the difference might be lost on me for my purposes though im guessing that 8 taps is still more taxing on the system?

A lot more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up