INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JMC on wirelessly connected Windows 8.1 tablet/ultrabook?  (Read 2542 times)

FrankN

JMC on wirelessly connected Windows 8.1 tablet/ultrabook?
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:43:33 am »

This is my objective: to run JMC on a Windows 8.1 tablet/ultrabook and stream HD FLAC files from a NAS (Synology) to a network music player (currently a Cambridge Audio NP30) with the tablet/ultrabook connected wirelessly (new UBEE gateway modem); the connection between NAS and player is wired (via the modem).

I’ve tested the configuration with a few years old Dell Vostro notebook, but it doesn’t work. That’s to say, it works, but after 2 to 20 min the wireless connection gets broken. WebGizmo works perfectly fine on the notebook with JMC running on a wire-connected desktop computer. But then I need to have my desktop computer turned on.

Is the configuration that I want to operate not feasible with JMC? I'm considering to purchase the Microsoft Surface Pro 2. The MS website reads that ‘Dual 2x2 MIMO antennas provide super-fast internet connectivity’. Would that technology make JMC work? The Surface Pro is too expensive to buy and try. That's why I test with my old notebook.

It would be great to hear from those who have experience with JMC on a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with audio files on a wire-connected NAS and a wire-connected network player to render them. Does it work?

Also, can someone explain to me why JMC does not work properly on a wirelessly connected notebook while the FLAC files are on a NAS that is wire-connected to the network player? The audio data should travel by wire directly from NAS to player, shouldn’t they? So what makes the JMC task so heavy that the WiFi connection breaks (when web surfing etc it always keeps working)?

Finally, FYI, I’m currently running a trial version of JMC to test my aspired configuration, so perhaps I’ve missed settings that I need to tweak.

Thanks in advice for advice,

Frank

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JMC on wirelessly connected Windows 8.1 tablet/ultrabook?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:11:06 am »

... can someone explain to me why JMC does not work properly on a wirelessly connected notebook while the FLAC files are on a NAS that is wire-connected to the network player? The audio data should travel by wire directly from NAS to player, shouldn’t they? So what makes the JMC task so heavy that the WiFi connection breaks (when web surfing etc it always keeps working)?
There should be no problem with this configuration.  If you are having trouble, it is the kind of problem that could be explained by overeager antivirus software.  JRiver has no problems playing from any network drive if the drive is reliable.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:23:43 am »

What conversion mode do you have in the DLNA server settings - Original, or Specifed Output Format?

FrankN

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:39:23 am »

Thanks for the replies. Because of circumstances I couldn’t visit the forum before now.

JimH, I’ve tried JRiver with Norton in silent mode. That didn’t help.

Csimon, DLNA server setting is Original.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 08:08:27 am »

JimH, I’ve tried JRiver with Norton in silent mode. That didn’t help.
Try disabling it first, then uninstall it.  Just to test.  Read the antivirus thread I started recently.

Silent mode may just mean it isn't telling you what it's doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up