INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio glitch on changing tracks or seeking  (Read 1403 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Audio glitch on changing tracks or seeking
« on: February 23, 2014, 05:04:08 pm »

I've seen this being mentioned before but can't find the threads at first glance.

On some output devices (I have two USB soundcards together with the onboard audio) I get a small glitch whenever I change tracks while one is already playing. The same glitch hapens on seeking through a playing track upon releasing the slider.

The currently playing song stops momentarily but just as the new track starts playing (or the new position of the current track starts playing) a very, very small section of what was currently playing is played back.

I've played around with many settings, i.e. buffering, play silence, seek and change modes, but cannot resolve this reliably. Sometimes I think I've cracked it with a setting but then it happens again.

Is there a known/reliable cause of this?

I'm using WASAPI exclusive, event style.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Audio glitch on changing tracks or seeking
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:28 am »

You may want to refer to this thread, as all the same stuff applies:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87701.0

In particular, for this issue, I'd try:

1. Drivers for your audio device(s)
2. Buffering settings (probably lower, not higher, in this case)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

csimon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 02:26:10 pm »

I've had a read through of that thread, but I seem to have tried the same things! I'm not getting a click noise though, it's a small sample of the track currently being played so I'm not sure it's the same issue.

My device is an Asus Xonar U7 external USB sound card. I do have onboard Realtek audio on a Gigabyte motherboard too which exhibits the same problems, but I'm not trying to sort that one out at the moment.

I have the current driver from Asus, I've also tried decreasing buffer to the minimum that will work (25ms) - but I get some crackling at that level so I leave it at 50ms. I've tried 500ms too but all that does is delay the glitch until after a silence.

From the other thread I've tried disabling Event Style and enabling Play Silence at startup at the same time as suggested.

It doesn't happen with a Soundblaster X-fi HD USB card.

csimon

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:05:11 pm »

I may have solved it - I was outputting via SPDIF in DD5.1. I switched to 2-channel PCM and the glitch seems to have gone.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:44:28 pm »

This does seem to be the issue actually. Rather than using SPDIF, I've now tried using the 7.1 analogue outputs from the Xonar U7. If MC is set to output in 2 channels, it's fine. But if I set it to mix in 7.1, the glitch returns. Same happens when using onboard SPDIF - OK with PCM 2 channel, not OK with DD5.1. I'm not seeing the issue with the Soundblaster X-Fi HD - this is not a multichannel soundcard and can only do 2 channel anyway, so that's probably why. I wonder if anyone else has seen this behaviour?
Pages: [1]   Go Up