INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files on external drive  (Read 9945 times)

tiguan

• Recent member
Files on external drive
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:33:43 am »

I purchased around october the licences. As I am newbie for Linux at all I was afraid starting to use. Finally today I installed Linux Debian 7.4 32/64 bit and installed final 19.0.118 version.
1. As I understood licences key can not be entered for now. So it is normal that I can not go to the "Install Licences ... "
2. I can not reach to my external hard disk by either by " File - open media" nor " Tools -import- browse" That browse button do not ope any window to reach external drive.
3. Should I copy flacs into computer music folder. Shall I not use external harddrive which is more bigger capacity than internal drive and all my archive is there.

Thanks in advance

ogs

• World Citizen
Files on external drive
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:17:19 am »

Are your music files stored on a network drive (NAS) or a portable harddisk with either USB or firewire connector?
In either case you will need to 'mount' the music folder on the local file system. The 'mount' command in Linux is used to connect external drives or network shares to your Linux machine.

Say your music files is in the 'music' shared folder on your windows PC and you want to have the files available under /music on your Linux PC.

You'll do (from a terminal window)

cd /
mkdir music
mount -t cifs //ip-of-windows-pc/music /music -o user=your-win-username -o password=your-win-user-password

The '-t cifs' tells the mount command that the remote file system is 'cifs' aka windows.

Then you point MC19 on your Linux box to /music in Tools>Options>File Locations

Edit: these two posts should probably be moved to the main Linux forum as they are not directly related to the release of v118
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

tiguan

• Recent member
Re:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:32:23 am »

Thank you. Very clear and explanatory. I will update if I will have any problem.
On the other hand my archive is in a external hard drive connected with USB.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Files on external drive
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:14:23 pm »

Why is this thread sticked to the top?  ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:53:16 pm »

If a post is split from a sticky thread, it has to be "un-stickied".

tiguan

• Recent member
Re: Ynt: Re: Files on external drive
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 06:50:04 am »

Are your music files stored on a network drive (NAS) or a portable harddisk with either USB or firewire connector?
In either case you will need to 'mount' the music folder on the local file system. The 'mount' command in Linux is used to connect external drives or network shares to your Linux machine.

Say your music files is in the 'music' shared folder on your windows PC and you want to have the files available under /music on your Linux PC.

If my media is archived in an external hard drive connected to USB port of Linux Netbook directly

I could not figure out and managed the linux wording at the terminal. I tried some but not succeed. :)

ogs

• World Citizen
Re: Ynt: Re: Files on external drive
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:41:12 am »

If my media is archived in an external hard drive connected to USB port of Linux Netbook directly

I could not figure out and managed the linux wording at the terminal. I tried some but not succeed. :)

Are you logged on your Linux Netbook as root or with your own user name?

Maybe your Linux mounts your USB disk when you plug it in. With the USB drive connected, try the 'mount' command alone (or maybe 'sudo mount' if you are not logged in as root. Skip the ' ' ). What is displayed in the console window?
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 11:30:08 pm »

How do I force JRiver for Linux to use /mnt/music under auto-import setting.  The share is located on a Windows server and I am able to browser from terminal windows and file manager.  I really prefer not to mount external storage under root.  The error message that I get is "directory could not be found"

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 12:04:11 am »

Make sure the directory is mounted before you start MC.  Then it will be safe to add it as an Auto-Import folder.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 10:33:26 am »

Make sure the directory is mounted before you start MC.  Then it will be safe to add it as an Auto-Import folder.

Directory is mounted as part of boot up process.  I cannot get JRiver to import anything even if the mount point is /Music or /home/jriver/Music.  Is there a way to run JRiver in debug mode to see if there are any errors.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 03:47:16 pm »

Directory is mounted as part of boot up process.  I cannot get JRiver to import anything even if the mount point is /Music or /home/jriver/Music.  Is there a way to run JRiver in debug mode to see if there are any errors.

You can output a log file by clicking "Report Problem" under Help->Logging...

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 09:30:13 am »

No luck in JRiver to recognize the external mount point.  I installed audacious (sp?) and was able to play files located under the mount point.  I know I was able play the files from the mount points with older version.  I am going to go back to one of the older versions and see if everything is working correctly.

B H de C

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 09:59:30 pm »

No luck in JRiver to recognize the external mount point.  I installed audacious (sp?) and was able to play files located under the mount point.  I know I was able play the files from the mount points with older version.  I am going to go back to one of the older versions and see if everything is working correctly.

Are you the same user when you try by hand to go to your mount partition than the user MC is running under?
You may have a right problem.

As the same MC user, open an Xterm.
Type in you shell:
df
to see all your mounted partition.

cd /mymounted/music

and do a

more mymusic.flac

if the more works, you'll see strange chars in your terminal. That's normal. At least that tells you you can access the file in reading like MC should.

Then it's a MC problem, and not your Linux mount. (/etc/fstab etc..).

B.

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 07:52:09 am »

Are you the same user when you try by hand to go to your mount partition than the user MC is running under?
You may have a right problem.

As the same MC user, open an Xterm.
Type in you shell:
df
to see all your mounted partition.

cd /mymounted/music

and do a

more mymusic.flac

if the more works, you'll see strange chars in your terminal. That's normal. At least that tells you you can access the file in reading like MC should.

Then it's a MC problem, and not your Linux mount. (/etc/fstab etc..).

B.

Yep, using the same user but will double check and post the result back.

Am I the only one potentially using windows share un JRiver and everyone else is using nas for external storage?

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 12:00:52 pm »

Output from commands

jriver@raptor:~$ whoami
jriver
jriver@raptor:~$
jriver@raptor:~$ df -h
Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                                                   59G  2.3G   54G   4% /
udev                                                     10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs                                                   791M  384K  791M   1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/01d7e3f4-27d9-4853-93cb-fcd1047f10c9   59G  2.3G   54G   4% /
tmpfs                                                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                                   4.6G     0  4.6G   0% /run/shm
//10.19.67.35/public/Music/                             5.0T  2.7T  2.4T  54% /mnt/music
jriver@raptor:~$ cd /mnt/music/Miles\ Davis/Kind\ of\ Blue/
jriver@raptor:/mnt/music/Miles Davis/Kind of Blue$ ls
01 Miles Davis - So What.wav             04 Miles Davis - All Blues.wav          Folder.jpg
02 Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader.wav  05 Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches.wav
03 Miles Davis - Blue in Green.wav       06 Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches.wav
jriver@raptor:/mnt/music/Miles Davis/Kind of Blue$

Output from more command against file "01 Miles Davis - So What.wav" - first line
RIFF�m�WAVEfmt 

B H de C

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 07:43:29 pm »

Output from commands

jriver@raptor:~$ whoami
jriver
jriver@raptor:~$ df -h
Filesystem                                              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                                                   59G  2.3G   54G   4% /
udev                                                     10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs                                                   791M  384K  791M   1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/01d7e3f4-27d9-4853-93cb-fcd1047f10c9   59G  2.3G   54G   4% /
tmpfs                                                   5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                                   4.6G     0  4.6G   0% /run/shm
//10.19.67.35/public/Music/                             5.0T  2.7T  2.4T  54% /mnt/music
jriver@raptor:~$ cd /mnt/music/Miles\ Davis/Kind\ of\ Blue/
jriver@raptor:/mnt/music/Miles Davis/Kind of Blue$ ls
01 Miles Davis - So What.wav             04 Miles Davis - All Blues.wav          Folder.jpg
02 Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader.wav  05 Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches.wav
03 Miles Davis - Blue in Green.wav       06 Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches.wav
jriver@raptor:/mnt/music/Miles Davis/Kind of Blue$

Output from more command against file "01 Miles Davis - So What.wav" - first line
RIFF�m�WAVEfmt 

Yes, your setup seems correct. You have access to your files.
Looks like a JRiver issue than. Any error in the MC log file?

I used local SSD storage.

I tried with remote and USB attached storage but always had skipping.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 07:58:09 pm »

What are the permissions on the
/mnt
and /mnt/music
directories?

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 08:54:18 pm »

What are the permissions on the
/mnt
and /mnt/music
directories?

Bob,

As requested

drwxr-xr-x   4 root   root    4096 Mar 16 12:51 mnt
root@raptor:/mnt# ls -l
total 196
drwxrwxrwx 1 jriver jriver 196608 Mar 15 20:53 music

I also have tried with music directory as 755

Entry in /etc/fstab

//10.19.67.35/public/Music/   /mnt/music   cifs   user,uid=1000,gid=1000,rw,auto,suid,credentials=/etc/cifs.txt 0 0

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 11:42:08 pm »

I am also having a difficult time mounting an external Qnap NAS Drive with Ubuntu 13.10.  The NAS is connected to my router via a cat 5 cable as is my computer and DAC.  In Ubuntu I can click in the Files application, and then open the Browse Network, see the NAS, click on it and get the prompt for the user ID and password.  Once that is entered, I can see the directories and  browse through the files.  If I hover over the drive with the mouse, it displays "smb://databox.local/music/"  I would think the drive is mounted at that point, but when I enter the df -k command in a terminal window, the only drive I see is the computer's internal hard drive.  I don't understand how I can browse files on the NAS in the File application if it is not mounted.

I also tried the mount commands near the top of this thread and no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.
JRiver Id w MC 20.0.118, Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet running Bubble UPnP, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w BridgeII

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 06:07:30 am »

I am also having a difficult time mounting an external Qnap NAS Drive with Ubuntu 13.10.  The NAS is connected to my router via a cat 5 cable as is my computer and DAC.  In Ubuntu I can click in the Files application, and then open the Browse Network, see the NAS, click on it and get the prompt for the user ID and password.  Once that is entered, I can see the directories and  browse through the files.  If I hover over the drive with the mouse, it displays "smb://databox.local/music/"  I would think the drive is mounted at that point, but when I enter the df -k command in a terminal window, the only drive I see is the computer's internal hard drive.  I don't understand how I can browse files on the NAS in the File application if it is not mounted.

I also tried the mount commands near the top of this thread and no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

You should check if your NAS has the nfs service running. Something like this: http://docs.qnap.com/nas/en/index.html?nfs_service.htm
Also check that your music folder on the NAS is nfs-enabled. The fact that you can browse files on the NAS via smb: (Samba i.e. Server Message Block) does not mean it is a fixed mount. You may be able to mount the files using smbmount, but as both NAS and PC run Linux you'd be better off with nfs.

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 05:43:48 pm »

Thank you for your suggestion.   It looks like it got me on the right track. I followed the user manual for my Qnap TS-410 NAS drive and made the appropriate settings as they described.  Next, I installed the NFS utilities needed on Ubuntu as follows:

sudo apt-get install nfs-common

Then I entered the command format described in the Qnap Manual:

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.106:/music /mnt/music   ..where /music is the directory on the NAS I want to access, and /mnt/music is the mount point I created on my client computer.

Here's what came back from the command followed by a df -k command.

mark@Pent4:~$ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.106:/music /mnt/music
mark@Pent4:~$ df -k
Filesystem            1K-blocks      Used  Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1             151641252   4024260  139890964   3% /
none                          4         0          4   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev                    1014740         4    1014736   1% /dev
tmpfs                    204964      1008     203956   1% /run
none                       5120         0       5120   0% /run/lock
none                    1024808        76    1024732   1% /run/shm
none                     102400        44     102356   1% /run/user
192.168.0.106:/music 1921316624 209075368 1711716968  11% /mnt/music
mark@Pent4:~$

It looks like the drive is mounted.  Now, all I need to do is get Media Center to recognize it and build a library to play.
JRiver Id w MC 20.0.118, Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet running Bubble UPnP, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w BridgeII

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »

Bob,

As requested

drwxr-xr-x   4 root   root    4096 Mar 16 12:51 mnt
root@raptor:/mnt# ls -l
total 196
drwxrwxrwx 1 jriver jriver 196608 Mar 15 20:53 music

I also have tried with music directory as 755

Entry in /etc/fstab

//10.19.67.35/public/Music/   /mnt/music   cifs   user,uid=1000,gid=1000,rw,auto,suid,credentials=/etc/cifs.txt 0 0
I don't see why this wouldn't work. It's quite similar to the test I did (though I did mount the external drive underneath my home dir).
I wonder if there is an issue with the filesystem size?

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 04:45:18 am »

It looks like the drive is mounted.  Now, all I need to do is get Media Center to recognize it and build a library to play.

Indeed it does. Only other problem I have seen in the past is ownership related. MC will want to write to files in your library so /mnt/music should be rw to MC

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 02:11:09 pm »

MC will want to write to files in your library so /mnt/music should be rw to MC

I'm relatively new to Linux and I don't understand your comment above.

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 03:42:56 pm »

I don't see why this wouldn't work. It's quite similar to the test I did (though I did mount the external drive underneath my home dir).
I wonder if there is an issue with the filesystem size?

Bob,

I had tried mounting the external partition under /home/jriver/Music also and got the same error message.  If I do not mount the drive mc is able to accept the directory to import.  Let me know if there are any commands that I can run which will help generate any additional logs that might help resolve the issue.

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 06:17:04 am »

I'm relatively new to Linux and I don't understand your comment above.

rw is read write. If MC complains about the library when you set it to use /mnt/music it is probably related to file ownership. If it works it is nothing to worry about.
The command ls -l /mnt/music/ will show rights on content in the folder. You may see something like this: drwxrw-rw-. First comes d which means directory then rwx which gives owner read-write-execute. Then rw- for the (user)group the files belong to, then rw- for all others. This web page is helpful: http://ss64.com/bash/chmod.html. -rwxrw-rw- is a 'mask' of 766

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 07:40:06 pm »

tried setting another mount point which is 750gb running under win7 and had the same issues.  changed the permission to full control for everyone and jriver account on the server and same issue.  the original 5tb mount is under windows 2008r2

85Duppie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 03:54:31 pm »

To Ogs:

Thanks for your response.  I'm learning bit by bit.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 11:08:59 am »

Got a handle on the smb mount problem. It's more generic than that. It will be fixed in the next build.

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 02:06:35 pm »

Got a handle on the smb mount problem. It's more generic than that. It will be fixed in the next build.

Thx Bob.  Let me know when the new version is available and I will help test and provide feedback ;D

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 08:00:33 pm »

Thx Bob.  Let me know when the new version is available and I will help test and provide feedback ;D

Just to close the loop on the issues that I was having.  After I installed 19.0.124 Debian version I was able to set the auto import directory for windows share and it is in the process of importing the albums.

thx

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 10:25:00 pm »

Just to close the loop on the issues that I was having.  After I installed 19.0.124 Debian version I was able to set the auto import directory for windows share and it is in the process of importing the albums.

thx
Thanks for the feedback!

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 10:29:13 am »

Thanks for the feedback!

Thx for a quick turn around.  I will hook the system up to a usb dac tonight and have a listen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up