INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "connected media" different audio output  (Read 1485 times)

jorsan

• World Citizen
"connected media" different audio output
« on: March 02, 2014, 07:26:50 am »

Hi,
I just added "Pandora" to my audio-connected media. I listen to JRiver thru my audio system and watch JRiver menus in my TV. When I try to use pandora, the audio moves form my system to my TV, and as soon as I switch to my recorded cds, audio returns to my system. Any idea how to solve this and have all my audio autput thru my system?. thanks in advance   

kstich

• Recent member
Re: "connected media" different audio output
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:13:18 pm »

I am hoping to hear an answer to this as well. I have a USB DAC that has ASIO drivers only. JRiver is set up with this as the only zone (I deleted the others trying to troubleshoot this issue). I have added some radio stations in Audio -> connected media. These load in the JRiver browser fine, however I don't get any sound through my DAC. Checking the windows Sound properties under the control panel I can see the audio is being mapped to my default soundcard there. I do not use this device for JRiver playback.

I am hoping there is some way to get JRiver to send the audio streams to the desired zone. Am I missing something? This sounds like the same problem the OP has as well so I hope I am not highjacking this thread.

Thanks!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: "connected media" different audio output
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:17:24 am »

The problem is that many streaming web services (probably for copyright related reasons) only output sound to the system default sound device (bypassing JRiver).  Netflix in particular is a big offender, and it sounds like Pandora does the same thing. This unfortuante decision on the part of streaming services has two main consequences:

1) If your system default audio device is different than your output device in JRiver, you'll get playback in the wrong place (on the system default) and
2) It completely bypasses JRiver's audio engine (i.e. JRiver has no control over the sound).

If you don't use JRiver for signal processing or DSP, etc., and your soundcard has a normal windows driver you can resolve the problem by setting your system default sound device to the same one you use in JRiver.

The other solution (@kstich, this is probably what you'll need to do) is JRiver's software WASAPI loopback function, which effectively "steals" the output routed to the system's default soundcard and re-routes it through JRiver's audio engine.  Unfortunately, that means you might need to use a browser or app to play the wed audio (rather than starting it in JRiver's internal browser). The good news is, it will allow you to pass the web audio through JRiver's audio engine.  Here's how:

1.  To use the loopback you have to have another soundcard in the system. You can use the motherboard soundcard. Nothing is actually connected to it, but the drivers still need to be installed. You might need to turn autosense off in the motherboard drivers. Many people have the Realtek HD Audio on their motherboard. Disabling front jack detection in the Realtek HD Audio Manager is what actually enables the analog output from front and rear outputs.
2.  Set the above soundcard as 7.1 (with fullrange speakers) and as the default soundcard in the Windows Control Panel.
3.  Set JRiver's Audio output [to whatever your soundcard is]
4.  Before turning on web audio in the browser, put JRiver in loopback mode by going to File > Open URL and enter live://loopback [or open live, WASAPI Loopback]

(adapted from an older post by mojave to make it applicable to the current JRiver)

There is also an ASIO line in method described in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88217.0
But it requires external software to work, whereas the wasapi loopback works out of the box as long as you have an unused sound device set as the default (which both of you do).
Pages: [1]   Go Up