INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View opens on its own: annoying  (Read 1716 times)

jphilpit

• Recent member
Theater View opens on its own: annoying
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:54:35 am »

I run MC19 under Windows 8.1. Sometimes when I'm playing an audio album with MC minimized, the Theater View full-screen window pops up without me doing anything actively with MC. I've learned that I can dismiss it with the Escape key followed by clicking on Exit. (Then I have to re-minimize MC.)

I have never used Theatre View, and I'm not even sure what it does. I use MC only for pushing FLAC files to a network media player. I've never used it to play video or any other media type.

Is there any way for me to prevent this from happening? It is very annoying. It happens maybe once or twice a week (where I'm playing my FLAC files every day for anywhere from 3 to 8 hours in a day).

John

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theater View opens on its own: annoying
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:12:17 am »

Check Tools -> Options -> General -> Behavior -> Jump on play

Do you have (audio) set to Theater View Playing Now?  What about (video) and maybe your Files are not Tagged correctly?

As an aside, you can get out of Theater View by hitting Esc twice.  I find this faster then hitting Esc once, then having to click Exit. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »

Other options might be remote control software (or keyboard software) gone haywire.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:17:59 pm »

Stuck F11 key?  Or someone in the next cubicle with an MC Remote?

jphilpit

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:40:19 pm »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Tools-> Options-> General->Behavior Jump on Play (Audio) is set to None and Jump on Play (Video) is set to Display View. (I have NEVER used the video capabilities.)

This seems to be happening in the middle of a "song" (when I wouldn't expect it to be logging at file tags) and totally at random.

I have NOT set up any remote control device or software. I use 2 different keyboards from time to time, a keyboard that snaps to my MS Surface and at other times a Bluetooth keyboard. At this point I can't commit to it having happened with both keyboards, but I think that's likely given the length of time this has been happening. If both keyboard are being used when this happens, then I assume different drivers are being invoked.

If I am, indeed, seeing this with 2 different keyboards, then a stuck F11 key is unlikely.

This is happening at home, not in an office setting. I suppose it's not impossible that one of my neighbors is using an MC19 remote device, but if we have separate networks, both Ethernet and WiFi, wouldn't that prevent such remote interference.

Any other suggestions?

John

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 07:49:42 am »

I'm not sure what could be causing that.  In the mean time, if you don't plan on using theater view, you could disable it. 
Options > General > Features > then uncheck Theater View.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 10:14:35 pm »

Also, to speed up the exiting of theater view:

Press Esc, and then Esc again to exit.
I know this is counter-intuitive when 'cancel' is an option after the first Esc, and one would expect the second Esc to cancel the exit; in fact it executes the exit.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 11:24:49 pm »

I think it is the bluetooth keyboard.  Actually, the bluetooth dongle.

I've had bluetooth keyboards cause all sorts of errant keypresses.  I use an Apple Wireless keyboard for my living room HTPC.  I knew I could use the keyboard (on both my laptop and my Mac Pro at work) without issue, but on my HTPC it would "type" things.  Mostly, it was "sticky" keys (I'd type one i, and it would keep typing "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" forever and ever).  But I also saw errant keypresses, that didn't seem to be triggered by use of the keyboard.

But, I was using an Apple keyboard on a Windows box, and it was acting flaky, and my house is full of radio interference and... So, there were a ton of things to blame (and I didn't have another PC handy with bluetooth to test it out).

Then, one day, I was getting errant keypresses (I think the start key, in my case) when the keyboard was totally powered off.  I even took the batteries out to be sure.

The bluetooth adapter, of course! So, first thing I did was figure out what adapter I had (really, the chipset, not the brand) and started digging.  Then, I figured for $19 or whatever, I could just get another one (which would be handy for testing with the other PC anyway).  When the new one came, I switched to it anyway, but before it came, I figured out the solution was drivers.  I'd installed the "manufacturer provided" drivers (not even the ones on the disc like an animal, but ones from their website).  Found a bunch of forum posts and stuff and ended up removing the drivers (which was a big pain to do, if memory serves, because the uninstaller didn't remove everything), and letting Windows do what it wanted with the dongle "fresh", and it worked right from then on.

So... Check your bluetooth doohickey.  Unplug it completely, or disable it in the BIOS if it is onboard.  Wait a day or a week or whatever.  See if it happens.  If not, then you know your culprit.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up