INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home HTPC Setup  (Read 1310 times)

Pike

• Recent member
Home HTPC Setup
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:19:20 am »

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but I don't frequent this board much because I'm happy the way things were working.  But now, it's time for a change.  This is what I'd like to do.  Note that I have all the hardware already.

My office (next to family room):
- Computer running media center
- 6TB raid 5 (via home network)
- 2 monitors at my desk.  I have two video cards. One handles the office monitors, the second one is connected to my plasma in the family room. The computer is connected via HDMI to the plasma which shows up as my third monitor. Currently, when I want to watch a movie or TV show, I slide the media center to the far left of the second monitor and it shows on the plasma.  Sound is via a 3 position switch which has computer/off/stereo. I control the media center via Gizmo on my android.

This served my purpose but I know it's not how it should be done.

This is what I'm looking to set up.

HTPC in the family room.  Access will be via a wireless keyboard and mouse on the coffee table (so the wife can use it). I want to run the media center on the plasma from the HTPC but would also like to still use it in my office as I have a DAC on very good speakers.  I listen to music mostly and I like the media center GUI to navigate my music.  How can I run the media center on both office computer and family room HTPC? Does running the media center as a server have anything to do with this? Sorry for my ignorance, but I have a neglected to pursue the capabilities of this software because I'm so darn busy with everything else that I quickly set this up and then left it.

If you have any questions or comments...it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ivan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Home HTPC Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:45:59 am »

You could probably use Media Server for that.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Server

The wiki has a topic on Media Network that will add to this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up