INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC will not auto-update on 8.1 (requires "run as administrator")  (Read 1959 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe

Using Windows 8.1 x64 with UAC disabled. For some time now, auto-update of Media Center stopped working. It extracts the files, and stops. This never happened in the past (not sure if it's a 8.0-to-8.1 change). Only solution: enabling "Run this program as an administrator" at the exe's properties/compatibility settings. Is this the proper way to do it? Doesn't feel right to permanently grant admin rights.
Windows 10 Pro x64

audioriver

Re: MC will not auto-update on 8.1 (requires "run as administrator")
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:27:04 pm »

Noticed a problem with "run as admin" enabled: tried to drag a VIDEO_TS folder for import and it would not accept it (no submenu "play, import etc." at all).
Windows 10 Pro x64

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:54:44 pm »

Don't use run as admin.

The update problem could be "security" software on your PC.

audioriver

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 08:29:06 pm »

I completely uninstalled security software (turned off Windows Defender, too) but problem remains. I am trying with the installer files. They won't install, extracting finishes and nothing happens. Right-clicking on them+Run as administrator and they install fine.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 03:02:19 am »

Disabling UAC gives you unpredictable behavior and we never recommend it.
In any case, installing requires admin rights. With UAC it would be asking for elevation during install - without UAC, who knows what happens.

You should however NOT run MC as administrator, as that may cause other issues. Only the installer needs to run as admin.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 04:29:54 am »

Did you disable UAC using the 'EnableLUA' registry entry, or by turning the slider down to never?

If you've used the slider, UAC is not totally disabled, only the prompts are.

I tried running 8.1 with UAC disabled via the registry entry, and it was an odd experience that I wouldn't recommend. (more here)

So, now I've sorted those issues, UAC is enabled again, and the MC installer runs just fine. I've tried it with the slider right the way down too, and it still installs just fine, but without the annoying UAC prompt. This would suggest you have something else going on....

Do you have 7-zip installed? If so, you could try using it to extract the files from the MC installer and then run InstallLauncher.exe manually. Does that work?
If it does, then so should auto-update. If it doesn't, then there may be some more clues available to help you get to the root of the problem.

What security software do you use?

-marko.

audioriver

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:16:38 am »

I always disable UAC from the slider only, so that should be safe. There is no annoyance with the installers (right-click is easy) but the auto-update feature is useful and it could not be used any more. I had to download the installer and update manually every time.

Tried a fresh 8.1 x64 installation. No security software, UAC slider all the way down and WinRAR installed. This time the installer worked without right-click/admin, so I assume the auto-update will work, too. Something was interfering. Security software is Outpost Security Suite, maybe that's the culprit but I previously tried uninstalling it and problem persisted. I'll repost if I figure it out, thanks everyone.
Windows 10 Pro x64

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:23:50 pm »

Might be some weirdness due to the way MC installs the server. I noticed I have a jRiverServer account listed in the user account section on W8. Main reason I even found it, I was digging around trying to find out why I couldn't save custom visualizations back to the MC folder. Giving me an error that I have to be logged in as an administrator to do that even though the account has full administrative privileges, yet gives me the same error when I log in as Administrator.

I finally gave up - saved the files to My Documents and restarted into the XP side of my dual boot machine, then did the copying there. Kind of a kludge, and something most wouldn't have as an option.

On the bright side, everything else seems to be working fine, including updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up