INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Initial Setup  (Read 3697 times)

kenterickson

• Recent member
Initial Setup
« on: March 03, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »

I am considering the use of JRiver to set up a server system, primarily for music.    I have browsed the topics here, including 'getting started' and have not found a straightforward explanation of the topics I am interested in.   Kind of a forest for the trees kind of thing probably.   I would like to describe what I want to accomplish and maybe someone would be kind enough to tell me if I am on the right track, and if not, make some suggestions.

I have an Integra DTR 30.5 networked receiver.   Simply put I would like to run JRiver on an iPad and have complete access to my music library.   The library would be on an external drive attached to a Win7 PC, or if preferable, I could pick up and install a NAS.   The data would stream to the receiver via a hardwired Ethernet connection (music system and PC are not collocated).    I want very high quality audio, including at least 24/96 high def audio.  All files are .flac.   

What is needed other than downloading JRiver?   I assume that there is both an app for the iPad and software for the PC.   If the files are all on a NAS, do I need to have the PC turned on at all?   Is Windows Media Player required to be in the system, or does JRiver displace that?   

At this point I don't know what I don't know, so any help is appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Initial Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:27:49 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  You would install MC on the Windows PC.  It would "import" your media from the NAS drive.

Assuming that the receiver supports DLNA, you could play to it from JRiver.

You could also install JRemote on the iPad and control JRiver with it.  This would allow you to play to the receiver.

The wiki has topics on some of these subjects:

Remotes
DLNA
Media Network

csimon

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:55:36 am »

If the files are all on a NAS, do I need to have the PC turned on at all?

Yes, MC runs on Windows.  The NAS is simply a disk to MC for file storage, like a local disk, and is no different from a USB disk as far as MC is concerned. However, if the NAS you choose has a DLNA server and your receiver is DLNA-compatible then you can use that instead of a Windows-based server.

Is Windows Media Player required to be in the system

No, MC is completely independent.

kenterickson

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 12:25:33 pm »

Thanks for all the help.   I have downloaded the trial of MC and have built a library and can play music on my Integra receiver but I have some issues.

I am using the interface on the PC only at this time.   If I get everything to work the way I want I will buy both MC and the remote for my iPad.

File location seems to be an issue.   When I look under Options/file location I see that Audio is on my H: drive but the library is clearly pointing to the Windows My Music files on the C: drive.    I can tell because most of the music on the C: drive is in wma format and all of the music on the H: drive is in .flac.   

Also, I want the DTR30.5 Integra receiver to be the default (really the only) player.   I don't want to play music on the computer or anywhere else at this time.    It seems that the setup was concerned with how I wanted to configure my sound card and that was a don't care for me.    MC seems to want to default to playing on the computer.    How do I fix this?   

csimon

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:35:55 pm »

File location seems to be an issue.   When I look under Options/file location I see that Audio is on my H: drive but the library is clearly pointing to the Windows My Music files on the C: drive.    I can tell because most of the music on the C: drive is in wma format and all of the music on the H: drive is in .flac.

When MC is first installed, it will automatically scan your local filesystem (Windows library, i.e. My Music), or at least it always used to, I don't know if it still does. You have around 30 seconds to cancel the import, the message appears in the bottom left hand corner, the Action pane. I suggest you clear the library (it's an option somewhere on the menus) and set up the Import routine to your particular repository locations. You can define whatever folders you want, including network drives. My personal recommendation is to use a UNC path (\\<YourNAS>\\<Share Name>) rather than using a drive letter, if you're using a NAS rather than an attached disk. There is probably a Wiki topic on importing.

Also, I want the DTR30.5 Integra receiver to be the default (really the only) player.   I don't want to play music on the computer or anywhere else at this time.    It seems that the setup was concerned with how I wanted to configure my sound card and that was a don't care for me.    MC seems to want to default to playing on the computer.    How do I fix this?

You can set up as many "zones" as you want for playing music to. These appear in the tree on the left under Playing Now. By default there will be one zone already there and defined as your default Windows sound device. Simply go to Audio Settings (File/Options) and change the device associated with that zone.

csimon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 12:47:55 pm »

Oops, just realised that your receiver is a DLNA device isn't it?  Therefore you won't be able to specify it as a device for outputting to in Audio Settings.  You will need to enable Media Network (Tools/Options again) and enable DLNA Controller at least. Then, the receiver should automatically appear as a separate zone in Playing Now (give it a few seconds). That is assuming the receiver is on the network and can act as a DLNA Renderer, i.e. you can push music to it from an external controller. If it doesn't appear then there's something wrong....

csimon

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »

Next step, once you've got this working, is to check the conversion mode in the DLNA server settings.  I think by default MC might convert everything to MP3 before sending to a DLNA device and you probably want to send your FLAC files to your receiver unaltered. So check the status of that mode and change it to Original if it's currently on Specified Output Format MP3.

kenterickson

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 07:14:26 pm »

OK, so I've followed the suggestions and everything seems to be working great.   I downloaded JRemote and that works great as well, so I'm now pretty much where I wanted to be.    I'm playing 24/96 flac files and hearing a noticeable difference from my prior setup (WD Media Player) on both regular CD and HiDef.    I haven't played with anything but audio yet but the audio seems to be doing just what I want.   

I am currently using an external HD connected to my PC but at some point I may want to go to a NAS.   I think I might get quicker response times, particularly when loading photos and other kinds of media.    For now I think I'll just enjoy my system for a while.

Thanks so much for the help.   It is all quite simple if you know what you're doing but it can hard to navigate through all of the menus and there are some subtleties.   In particular I would have been scratching my head about sound quality for a while if you hadn't alerted me about the default to MP3.    It's nice to know that there is help out there and this must help JRiver as well.

Thanks again.

csimon

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 03:27:08 am »

Excellent, glad to hear it!

One more tip - if you're using JRemote you can customise the browsing structures according to your own cataloguing and tagging, you don't have to stick with the default views. The views are defined in MC in Tools/Options/Media Network/Customise Views For Gizmo.  WebGizmo and Gizmo are the MC-supplied remotes for the web and Android respectively, and JRemote uses the same views.

kenterickson

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 08:29:47 pm »

Maybe this should be in a new thread since I accomplished pretty much what I wanted (Audio) with the help above, but now I want to play images and videos.    As indicated above, I am playing from a Win 7 PC via hardwired Ethernet to an Integra DTR 30.5 (DLNA).    Using either JRemote or MC, when I click play on a video I get a message that says there was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device.     When I select audio files they play fine so I know that there is a connection.    Is this an issue with my configuration of JRiver or with the capabilities of my DTR 30.5.   Should I expect video to play via the same setup that plays audio?    The Integra does display the album art on the TV screen when audio is playing.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:32:28 pm »

I very much doubt the Integra can render Video via DLNA.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:45:39 pm »

I very much doubt the Integra can render Video via DLNA.

Actually it looks like it should. It is 3D Ready, has 4K Upscaling, and seems to have all the video processing required. It should at least pass video through to the TV. It is pretty full featured.

kenterickson, I suspect you need to spend some quality time with Integra DTR 30.5 manual. I would be looking up what it means by '"Home Media" Sharing .'

Disclaimer: I'm no DLNA expert, so rendering from a DLNA input to a HDMI output may not be possible on the Integra DTR 30.5, or any receiver for all I know.   ;D 8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 09:55:19 pm »

Don't confuse what it will pass through with DLNA rendering of video.

Look in the DLNA or UPNP section of the manual.  It will list the file formats and media types.  You can also use Device Spy to query the capabilities.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:46 pm »

Yeah. I had a look at the manual. It is only a DLNA Audio renderer.

Time to look at using a long HDMI cable (maybe with extenders) I suspect.  Or HDMI over Ethernet.  :)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kenterickson

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:40 pm »

You are right.   Looking carefully at the manual it states that only audio files can be played via DLNA.   The FAQ's on the Integra website confirm this. 

Thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up