INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix broken  (Read 3534 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Netflix broken
« on: March 22, 2014, 07:02:49 am »

Three things happened Thursday; the JRiver website went down, I upgraded to latest version of MC, and Netflix broke.

When I click on the Netflix link I get the "There are no items to display" message. Nothing in my queue is displaying. I can use the search function to locate movies/shows on the Netflix website. Using the search, I can get to the Show's cover art but when I select it and  try to play a show (tv series) it would not display the episodes. When I search for a movie and tried to play it, the movie started. This is happening on the Server and Clients.

I thought the problem might be related to the MC update I did the night of 3/20, but rolling back to the previous version did not fix the problem.

I can get to my Netflix account from the MC "Services" page. I can play movies or shows from the Netflix website - just not from Media Center.

Any ideas on what to do now?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Netflix broken
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 08:11:01 am »

I used Netflix last night without problems, but I've seen what you describe a couple of times.  I think it's Netflix.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 08:20:26 am »

Jim, I have had a similar problem before like this. Maybe the web outage and/or my version upgrade on the same day was just coincidental.

BTW - I reported a similar "There are no items to display" message with a couple of Netflix TV Series (such as "Piorot") a while back that Bob also confirmed was not loading for him. Eventually it started working again (maybe Bob fixed it in an update, or maybe the glitch just went away). But even then, my Queue would display everything and I could still play Netflix movies and most TV series in my queue.

This time I have nothing displaying. No items in my queue are showing/loading.

So what do I do now? Netflix isn't going to help. Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:53:39 am »

It will probably come back.  Mine did.

I don't think Netflix has much interest in the API we use.  They removed some of the functionality.  I hope they will eventually change a little.

CountryBumkin

Re: Netflix broken - fixed
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 02:24:27 pm »

I'm back up. Here's what I did;
Found instructions Googling"Netflix error" - I had to delete "mspr.hds" file.
Go to Start Button>Click Run, Type in "%Programdata%. Go to Microsoft>PlayReady. Delete the file. Restart Computer. Go to JRiver Netflix setup and delete Netflix account. Add Netflix account back in.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 08:16:05 pm »

Just setup netflix.. does theaterview have the option to see genres/all netflix shows offered? i noticed in standard view i can see the watch instantly then genres with all shows show up, but i do not see a watch instantly or netflix's full library in theaterview.
thanks in advance

Vreejack

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 10:48:05 pm »

I actually stopped using the Netflix  functionality in MC because it just uses Silverlight anyway, and Silverlight is stupid with audio and won't let MC handle it. Better to use Silverlight in a browser and output the audio to a dummy driver that MC can tap into for DSP.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 06:46:08 am »

Netflix still works for me through MC, but the interface is not that nice and it doesn't allow the full flexibility of a "supported" Netflix app (like on my Smart TV). Besides I am an Amazon Prime member now and there is no nice way to use Amazon Prime in MC without having a keyboard/mouse available.

So I bought the Amazon 'Fire TV"http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-CL1130-Fire-TV/dp/B00CX5P8FC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399203825&sr=1-1&keywords=fire+tv . Now I use that exclusively for Netflix and Prime, and MC for all the rest of my HTPC needs.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 07:00:28 pm »

I have had the some issues as described above.  I think I removed my Netflix account in MC, and then put the details back in and it fixed itself (either that or it just fixed itself anyway). 

Not sure if it is related or just an API limitation, but I have some series where MC Theatreview doesn't display the full list of available shows in a Series.  Maybe the list is too long?  Not being able to sort by season is also a bummer for longer living shows.  I am increasingly finding myself back in the browser for Netflix.

Thanks
Craig

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 07:52:56 pm »

so.. there is no way to have the full netflix library in theaterview? is this correct? if so...what kind of work around do we users have where the family only uses theaterview?
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 09:39:23 pm »

I use Netflix a lot.  I usually use a browser to build a queue.  Then I watch in Theater View.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 11:24:41 am »

sorry for late reply... i never received a email notification someone replied on this topic?

My trial is now almost up with netflix, and im abit confused on your reply.
I usually use a browser to build a queue.  Then I watch in Theater View.
how do we build a queue? is it possible to build an ALL genre queue? so that we can see all of the available titles in netflix?
thanks

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 10:40:33 pm »

I use another workaround, which is to load the Netflix website from within Theater View and use my wireless mini keyboard / pointing device.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 10:53:08 pm »

that sounds like a work around... how do we accomplish that?
thanks

Is there another paid service out there that works flawlessly in theaterview where one can use the up, down, left right arrows?

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 08:36:49 am »

You can use the search function to find titles, but unfortunately, Netflix removed the parts of their API which allow a software app like ours to show selections from genres and in other ways. Sorry.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 09:24:39 am »

Thanks john, i pm'd you some info, (wasnt sure if it was ok to post here in forum.)
in the meantime, i've cancelled my subscription with them.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 05:12:25 am »

As Jim mentioned, you can still go the Netflix website and add movies/shows to your Netflix queue. Then in MC you have full access to all these movies/shows in Theater view using your MC remote.
You can add a lot of movies to your queue so you only need to go to the website one in a while to reload. I don't know if there is a limit to the number of movies you can put in your queue (I have over 50) - maybe you could (theoretically) load the entire Netflix library into your queue and never need to go back to the website. :D

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »

maybe you could (theoretically) load the entire Netflix library into your queue and never need to go back to the website.
thats a workaround, however every week one would have to login to the browser to get the new releases to show in theaterview. my trial with them has now expired, so i'll just wait to see if something gets worked out.
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up