INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jriver 18 and 19 crashing when importing  (Read 5496 times)

thedon_1989

• Recent member
jriver 18 and 19 crashing when importing
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:23:27 pm »

Both JRiver media center 18 and 19 have started crushing when importing media. It all started when I refreshed my Windows 8.1 PC. This procedure removes all programs and I was therefore forced to reinstall. After install, then problem started. I have uninstalled eset antivirus 7 and tested both MC18 and Mc19; they both crushed again. Realising it is not the antivirus, I have since uninstalled both MC18 and MC19 three times, each time not only ticking the remove registry entries box but also following up with a regedit search and deleting any entry related to jriver or MC18/MC19. After uninstalling, deleting the jriver folder in program files (including registry entries), deleting jriver folder in mydocuments, how is it that when i reinstall both MC18 and MC19 are still picking up my licence; am i missing another folder elsewhere? I have attached some logs from jriver here; if anyone knows how to read these and see why my programs are crushing, I would be very grateful for any insight. I have gone through the troubleshooting and havent found anything useful, at least so far.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: jriver 18 and 19 crushing when importing
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:58:30 pm »

I'm very sorry for your trouble.  Thank you for working through the Troubleshooting Guide as best as you could.  A few questions:

1. Does "crushing" equal "crashing" or "hanging"?
2. Why did you do the refresh on your Windows PC?

And please check at least chkdsk and sfc /scannow and report any issues.  Thanks.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 05:14:28 pm »

I did a refresh of Windows 8.1 because I wasnt using it for a while and when i came back to it, windows update kept running without doing anything. I tried sorting the update issue using microsoft FixIt program which couldnt solve the problem and rather reported that some files were missing or something to that effect. I have windows XP and Windows 8 installed on a OCZ Vertex 4 SSD for dual boot. Both OSs have jriver 18 and 19. The crashing started while I was using XP Pro. It didnt matter as much as XP is not my primary OS. Then recently, when I came back to using Windows 8.1, the crashing started after the refresh. MC outputs the message, "Media Centre 19/18 has stopped working; A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". In windows 8.1 when importing, "scanning for files" is running then the scanning pauses (seems to be pausing at same place) before finishing scanning the whole folder structure (which I think was the normal thing to do); then adding files to library starts before MC hangs with the message above after adding a random number of files.

Now I have run chkdsk and sfc /verifyonly followed by sfc scannow on both operating systems.
XP Pro: On running chkdsk, the screen flushed very quickly while the checks were ongoing as the chkdsk was run on startup. Its not the first time I have run this and I have to say i dont think there was anything amiss. This is confirmed when I run chkdsk from withing Windows 8 where I am getting the message, "We havent found any errors on this drive. You can still scan for errors if you want.". Sfc scannow on windows ran and finished without reporting anything. I ran it twice just to be sure.

Windows 8.1: chkdsk reports, "We havent found any errors on this drive. You can still scan for errors if you want." Sfc /verify now reports,"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". sfc scannow runs to 100% and outputs same message as the /verify command.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:26:06 pm »

One thing to try before anything else.

Download the latest version from the forum, as described here, and install it.

Your logs show 19.0.117, which is a few versions old.  It is possible something was fixed in the last few builds.  In any case, install the latest one, and then recreate the issue.  If possible, leave it "hung" (not responding) for a while (5 minutes or more... walk away, get a cup of coffee, etc) before killing it.

Then, if you can, upload the entire ZIP file created by the Help > Report a Problem system.  One of the JRiver folks may want you to upload a crash dump too, but I can't use that, so I won't ask.

I strongly suspect that you have a corrupt file (or files) in there that is causing the import process to hang.  The logs you uploaded already, however, show no Import activity.

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »

One thing to try before anything else.

Download the latest version from the forum, as described here, and install it.

Your logs show 19.0.117, which is a few versions old.  It is possible something was fixed in the last few builds.  In any case, install the latest one, and then recreate the issue.  If possible, leave it "hung" (not responding) for a while (5 minutes or more... walk away, get a cup of coffee, etc) before killing it.

Then, if you can, upload the entire ZIP file created by the Help > Report a Problem system.  One of the JRiver folks may want you to upload a crash dump too, but I can't use that, so I won't ask.

I strongly suspect that you have a corrupt file (or files) in there that is causing the import process to hang.  The logs you uploaded already, however, show no Import activity.

I have attached a typical JRiver log from MC19 that I am getting when MC19 crashes. I have taken the approach that I will delete the file(s) shown on the log where it shows "JRiver Crashing". I will re-rip CD with jitter correction hoping this helps with "bad files". After removing files like this for a while, jriver now seems to crash at about the same place, irrespective of which computer I am using to import files from my Raid6 server. Thinking that my Raid6 server may be the issue, I have also used a friend's QNAP (Raid 5) to test the library and importing is giving me the similar results i.e. jriver crashing at about the same spot indicating the issue is with the library. Can anyone who knows how to read the jriver log take a look and see if one can give me some insight on this crashing problem. Also, is my approach of deleting files where crashing starts correct? I have noticed one can also see from the log when phrase "adding to bad database" begins to appear. How can one know from this log where to look for corrupt file(s) or where the problem is beginning? I just realised that the log is 106,156Kb which is larger than is allowed on this forum. I will need an email address to send the log. Does anyone have an email for jriver support so I can email the log to them as well?

Thanks for reading this post.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 03:19:02 pm »

logs at jriver dot com, I believe.

You can also use WikiSend to make a URL that you can post here.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 03:47:59 pm »

Please use MCs "Report a problem" button in the Help - Logging screen directly after the crash. It'll zip the logs to save space and add a bit of extra information if available.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 02:20:07 pm »

logs at jriver dot com, I believe.

You can also use WikiSend to make a URL that you can post here.

Thanks for that little trick. A typical log can be found here http://wikisend.com/download/359462/ . "progam crashing" can be seen on line 998545.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:18:42 pm »

Thanks for that little trick. A typical log can be found here http://wikisend.com/download/359462/ . "progam crashing" can be seen on line 998545.

0615796: 7768: Podcast: CPodcastScheduler::GetAllEpisodes: Start
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Finish (15 ms)
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (15 ms)
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: Z:\Music\Uncompressed\3 CD [Downloads]\The Alan Parsons Project\Ammonia Avenue [Japan] 1984\Alan Parsons Project - 1984 - Ammonia Avenue (A25D-6).flac
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Start
0615796: 7768: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing

It's crashing doing GetAllEpisodes for a Podcast.  I don't know why, but that's a big clue.  You could try turning off Podcasting as a test.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 05:21:27 pm »

0615796: 7768: Podcast: CPodcastScheduler::GetAllEpisodes: Start
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Finish (15 ms)
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (15 ms)
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: Z:\Music\Uncompressed\3 CD [Downloads]\The Alan Parsons Project\Ammonia Avenue [Japan] 1984\Alan Parsons Project - 1984 - Ammonia Avenue (A25D-6).flac
0615796: 1452: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Start
0615796: 7768: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing

It's crashing doing GetAllEpisodes for a Podcast.  I don't know why, but that's a big clue.  You could try turning off Podcasting as a test.

Thanks for your reply. I have now tried turning off podcasts but I keep getting the same crashing error on both computers.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 06:09:51 pm »

Will you post another log (with podcasting off)?

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 07:43:01 am »

Just to be sure we mean the same thing by saying podcast off. Under Options>>File type>>Podcast is set to No. Under Options>>General Podcasts check box is not ticked. I am importing using Tools>>Import>>Configure Auto-Import>>Edit ("Other" which includes podcasts is not ticked)>>OK.

Another log is attached http://wikisend.com/download/263762/.

One of the machines has now started to give a "Microsoft Visual C++ Library" error. I reinstalled the operating systems just to rule out any issues with Windows 8. That C++ error has not gone away. What I have noticed when I export a log file is that I sometimes I get a long log such as this one http://wikisend.com/download/388334/ ; but sometimes I get a short log showing no importing activity which is strange because JRiver would have gone through a long importing attempt with no difference to the case when the long log is posted. I will post the short log when i get another.

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 07:47:30 am »

Just to be sure we mean the same thing by saying podcast off. Under Options>>File type>>Podcast is set to No. Under Options>>General Podcasts check box is not ticked. I am importing using Tools>>Import>>Configure Auto-Import>>Edit ("Other" which includes podcasts is not ticked)>>OK.

One of the machines has now started to give a "Microsoft Visual C++ Library" error. I reinstalled the operating systems just to rule out any issues with Windows 8. That C++ error has not gone away. What I have noticed when I export a log file is that I sometimes I get a long log such as this one http://wikisend.com/download/388334/ ; but sometimes I get a short log showing no importing activity which is strange because JRiver would have gone through a long importing attempt with no difference to the case when the long log is posted. I will post the short log when i get another.

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" rather

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 10:07:09 am »

short log now attached below

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 11:17:43 am »

short log now attached below

And another

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: jriver 18 and 19 crashing when importing
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 09:38:59 am »

To turn off podcasts, go to [Options > General > Features] and uncheck podcasts.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 11:49:19 am »

To turn off podcasts, go to [Options > General > Features] and uncheck podcasts.

Well, podcasts are properly turned off then.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 11:53:29 am »

Well, podcasts are properly turned off then.

Just to be sure we mean the same thing by saying podcast off. Under Options>>File type>>Podcast is set to No. Under Options>>General Podcasts check box is not ticked.

I apologize, I missed that in your earlier post.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 05:47:33 pm »

Do you mind taking a look at this log http://wikisend.com/download/998318/Previous Log.txt which I think may give some clues of my problem. For the first time JRiver is beginning to run through all the files in the library and is now crashing during the late phase when it begins or during "Adding files to library". What I have done so far was to run jriver and remove any files related to the album where jriver stalls. That seems to have done the trick and I believe I can see light at the end of the tunnel. However, If I get a crash at this phase I cant exactly pinpoint to the offensive file as the report is different to the one I was getting earlier. I really didnt think the files I removed where corrupt as they play on other players like Mediamonkey or foorbar. I will be interested in what this report says is the problem and this may help me manage my library better in future e.g keeping new files in separate folder until I know for sure they are ripped correctly or that they are not corrupt.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 06:04:36 pm »

0691240: 4156: Import: Finish: Updating view schemes
0691240: 4156: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
0691240: 4156: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 34768, wParam: 2964964, lParam: 0

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 06:34:57 pm »

Logs don't really help us with crashes, we need extra information.
To deliver these, please do as I asked a couple posts earlier already:

1) Turn on Logging in Help -> Logging
2) Reproduce the crash
3) Start MC again, and use Help -> Logging -> "Report problem.."
4) Upload the entire .zip file it generates somewhere for us to access, or send to logs at jriver dot com (with a reference to this thread)

The zip includes additional information which will help us to identify the reason for the crash.

In general, also make sure you're running the very latest version, 19.0.143 as of now.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 07:16:37 am »

Logs don't really help us with crashes, we need extra information.
To deliver these, please do as I asked a couple posts earlier already:

1) Turn on Logging in Help -> Logging
2) Reproduce the crash
3) Start MC again, and use Help -> Logging -> "Report problem.."
4) Upload the entire .zip file it generates somewhere for us to access, or send to logs at jriver dot com (with a reference to this thread)

The zip includes additional information which will help us to identify the reason for the crash.

In general, also make sure you're running the very latest version, 19.0.143 as of now.

Fair enough. Herewith a zip file for jriver 19.0.143 which crashed http://wikisend.com/download/346088/JRiver Log 2014-06-21 13-07-25.zip

And here is a zip file of jriver 18.0.212 which ran through the same library and did not crash- http://wikisend.com/download/260566/JRiver Log 2014-06-21 13-07-50.zip

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 10:53:59 am »

0371251: 2816: Import: ImportNewFiles:     New File: Z:\Music\Uncompressed\3 CD [Downloads]\The Beatles\Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band\Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.flac
0371251: 2816: Database: MCDB::Save: Start
0371251: 2816: Database: MCDB::Save: Saving (bCleanDB: 0, bForce: 0)
0371251: 2816: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing

It's crashing on a FLAC file.  I'm not sure why, but you could try disabling them as a test.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 11:04:54 am »

Your zip file doesn't contain a crash dump, are you sure you uploaded the file as-is? It should always generate one when it logs the crash to the zip file.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 01:17:29 pm »

Your zip file doesn't contain a crash dump, are you sure you uploaded the file as-is? It should always generate one when it logs the crash to the zip file.

I have noticed that sometimes the zip file has a crash dump file, but the majority of time it doesnt (in the problem i am experiencing). Here is a previous zip file with a crash dump file- http://wikisend.com/download/355980/JRiver Log 2014-06-18 23-28-11.zip

thedon_1989

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 11:48:54 am »

I have noticed that sometimes the zip file has a crash dump file, but the majority of time it doesnt (in the problem i am experiencing). Here is a previous zip file with a crash dump file- http://wikisend.com/download/355980/JRiver Log 2014-06-18 23-28-11.zip
I am now getting an error, "JRiver Runtime error! Program:..Files(x86)\jriver\media center 19.exe this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information".

Firefox froze immediately after. Anyone met this problem. Happening after JRiver has finished "adding files" and is midway in the process of "analyzing library".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 01:23:30 pm »

Have you read any of the other threads on crashes?  

Antivirus programs are the most common cause, probably followed by drivers.

Try reading and you'll find ways to proceed.  Start with the "Weird Problems" link in my signature.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 03:17:18 pm »

Firefox froze immediately after.

MC cannot cause Firefox to crash.  It does not interact with the Firefox process in any way.  It can crash itself, and maybe Windows Explorer (since it has a shell plugin) but it does not plug into Firefox, and memory space is protected on Windows (since forever), so MC cannot access the Firefox process, or scribble over its memory, even if it wanted to, without making a specific Firefox extension (which, they didn't).  This makes me strongly suspect you have deeper issues on that machine.  If the issues are isolated to MC, then it might be something specific to MC.  But, as soon as you start to see general system stability issues, that points to one of three things:

1. The hardware is broken.
2. The OS or drivers are broken (which makes the hardware broken).
3. The machine is infected.

Download and install Prime95 and run it in Torture Test mode for at least a few passes (a good handful of hours):
http://www.mersenne.org/download/

If that crashes, locks up the machine, bluescreens, or anything else?  Then your computer cannot do math properly, the RAM is not working, or something similarly dire.  It should peg all cores of your PC, and be able to run indefinitely.  When you hit cancel, and stop the test, it should shut down nicely, and the computer should come back to life.  It DOES behave this way on a properly running Windows PC.

If it fails, I'd be suspicious of things in this order:

1. Bad (or badly inserted) RAM.
2. Bad Power Supply.
3. Bad drivers, OS, disk, or something similar that "feeds the OS data".
4. Malware.
5. Bad or failing motherboard.
6. Bad or failing CPU.

It is also probably worth running through the DirectX Diagnostics:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/run-directx-diagnostic-tool

Nothing you've described seems GPU related at all, but you never know, and it is worth a check.

Assuming both of those come up clean, I'd do a thorough check for malware, and check my disks for trouble (including running the SFC scanner):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Disks

You also mentioned an OCZ disk.  That gives me a bit of pause.  There were WIDELY reported issues under Windows 7 and 8 with MANY of the OCZ SSDs.  I don't know if that one is impacted, and I suspect they've finally kicked out somewhat working firmware versions.  But make sure you have the latest firmware on that SSD.  There's stuff about this in the Wiki article I linked above too.  Back up the entire SSD first, though.  Firmware updates on SSDs sometimes nuke them.  Hasn't happened to me personally yet, but it has been known to happen.

MC may be triggering an underlying hardware, OS, or driver issue that you don't see otherwise, but that doesn't mean MC is buggy.  It means it is exposing a bug in your computer that you otherwise didn't notice.

It is still possible that your problem is just MC related, and that the simultaneous Firefox crash was bad luck.  But, that is very, very suspicious.  Seems to me like a general system fault (not bad enough to cause a bluescreen, but bad enough to crash applications or hard-lock), which usually indicates hardware (or driver) issues.

agelessgoodguy

• Recent member
Re: jriver 19 crashing when importing
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 05:36:28 am »

I'm also suffering from hanging when I force an import for the purposes of getting my libary updated quickly. As soon as I click on the import icon the program hangs, Only using Crtl Alt delete to close the application gets me out. I haven't botherd sending reports to MS. A similar thing happens whenever The program updates itself. Now when I run update it gets to 32% and stays there for about 5-10 mins then moves on to finish, maybe that's nothing just want you to know. Log is attached. I have read through the troubleshooting guide and replaced virus programs without effect so far as far as fixing this issue.

I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong area too, I'm a newbie at this forum.

Thank you very much for your attention. Agelessgoodguy

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 07:54:30 pm »

If you haven't tried it, please download and install 19.0.149.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90148.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up