INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOtM SMS-100 DLNA  (Read 7909 times)

ducatirider

• Junior Woodchuck
SOtM SMS-100 DLNA
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:31:03 am »

Greetings all.  I have been using JRiver streaming from a Surface Pro to a Fiios X3 DAC without issues.  Files are high rez FLAC mostly 24/96 residing on a Netgear ReadyNAS DUO V2.  I recently purchased a SOtM SMS-100 and am not having much luck.  The device is a USB bridge that I have configured in DLNA mode.  JRiver recognizes the device but the files won't start.  I suspect that this is a newbie question but any advice would be helpful.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: SOtM SMS-100 DLNA
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:05:54 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

The device may not be a DLNA Renderer.  Please read the DLNA topic on our wiki.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 12:23:50 pm »

JRiver recognizes the device but the files won't start.

You need to be more specific about a) what you are doing, and b) what you mean by "won't start"..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

ducatirider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:37:22 pm »

I have set the device to DLNA in the App Switcher Menu
I have set the name of the device to SOtM-DLNA in Settings
JRiver recognizes the device
Files won't start.  I click on Play and it stays at 0:00

Everything works fine through the Surface Pro in PC mode.

http://s209.photobucket.com/user/ducatirider_bucket/media/AppSwitcher.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
http://s209.photobucket.com/user/ducatirider_bucket/media/JriverWebgizmo.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s209.photobucket.com/user/ducatirider_bucket/media/sotm-dlna.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 01:26:36 pm »

It's possible the device can't play the files you are sending it.
You could try creating a DNLA server using the audiophile 24 bit dac preset and then right click on the SotM zone and associate it with the server you just created.

ducatirider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 01:48:40 pm »

The device allegedly supports 24/384 although the DAC is only 24/192.  Most files are 24/96.  I tried the Audiophile 24 bit DAC setting and it didn't seem to do anything.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 04:56:40 pm »

Don't really have a strong resume in setting up a DLNA server but I thought there might be value in taking a look at the OEM info that I found here:
http://www.sonore.us/SOtM1.html

STANDARD FEATURES
The SOtM Mini Server supports up to 24 bit playback at the following sample rates: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz and 384KHz
The SOtM Mini Server plays AAC, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, MP3, and WAV files from HTTP streams
So, the files you're trying to play are covered.

I also note that the Update Instructions were revised a few weeks ago, does that mean that a firmware update was released? And, most importantly, have you installed that firmware?

You're trying to use (by the webpage) Mode #3a:
Mode #3a - DLNA Output Mode
This mode is not yet documented in the manual. This mode utilizes streams from DLNA servers and controllers. Playback has been enhanced and now uses MPD as the renderer. With JRiver, BubbleUPNP and AudioNet as controllers this mode supports true gapless playback for FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF. DSD/DoP output is supported via USB if your server supports DoP streaming.

That implies to me that DLNA is a platform that is still under development. Further to the point, out of 5 possible modes, only 1 is reported to be documented (i.e. Squeezelite). What does SOtM say?

I can't find a forum or support page, so that I could look at the current manual. Personally, I'm concerned for you that SOtM doesn't appear to offer better support. For your problem, I suspect that they are the best party to resolve the issue. I say this because MC has a long development track record, so it probably is not the problem.

While the collective experience and knowledge that you'll find here may surely help, I'd expect that it would be more time efficient consulting the manufacturer of your equipment and ruling out problems there first. I would like to think I'm wrong.

In any case, I wish you all the best sorting your problem out.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 06:08:02 pm »

Apologies, I should have referred to the correct website:
http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-100/
that includes a link to the manual (Release 2.3).

Firmware update details:
http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/2014/03/06/about-sms-100-upgrade/
I see from the manual that the update process is done via web browser interrogating the device.

Even so, I still find SOtM support information to be quite sparse (and I also had a look at their old website, in case anyone was wondering).
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

ducatirider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 06:37:29 pm »

I think the logical next step would be to see if I can stream to a tablet as a DLNA device to see if my MC settings are correct.  If that works then it isolates the SOtM as the culprit.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 10:00:09 pm »

I think the logical next step would be to see if I can stream to a tablet as a DLNA device to see if my MC settings are correct.  If that works then it isolates the SOtM as the culprit.

All the best with that plan (smart move). Let us know how you go with that. You may find there will be users following your footsteps glad for your trail blazing efforts.

You can see from this post here:
JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?
that DLNA rendering to satisfy audiophiles is a matter of keen interest for JRiver. I would think reports of your experience will be very useful info to help JRiver understand the state of the market in terms of claims and real world capability.

You can also see from Jim's experience that even the most experienced can make simple oversights. A lesson for us all there.

ducatirider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 02:10:50 pm »

Success!  I tried a WDTV as a DLNA music renderer and it worked so I was puzzled why the sMS-100 didn't.  I then looked at my DAC and saw that it recognized a 192/24 input signal.  So it turns out that there are 3X USB inputs on the sMS-100 but only USB1 works. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up