INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD Playback Pop issue  (Read 1554 times)

wildsam

• Recent member
DSD Playback Pop issue
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:01:07 am »

I have searched the forums for a solution and have had no luck so far.
I have problems with the pop noise when playing dsd files and sacd iso's which get louder when the volume is turned up. The pop occurs when the dac locks onto a dsd signal.
I am running jriver19 latest version and have tried win7 and server 2012 r2 on 2 different pc's, I have a IFI Idsd and an audiogd dac nfb3 2014 dsd dac.
The problem occurs whichever output mode I use and on all operating systems and dacs.
I have tried changing settings such as memory playback, buffer settings, pause on start, pre buffering etc. Nothing helps to remove the annoying pop everytime the dac locks onto a new dsd signal. Please help?  ?
 Thanks

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD Playback Pop issue
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:30:50 am »

^

There have been a few similar posts here about pops on starting to play DSD...

I am speculating here, but I think it could be something to do with how "silence" is encoded in DSD ??

When MC is playing PCM it precursors the actual audio with a short stretch of silence samples so the DAC can synchronize; and in PCM such silence precursor samples are a series of 0000 values.

Whereas I think that in DSD a sample having a 0000 value is a) not a silence sample, and b) not even a valid value at all; so I think that in the case of DSD, MC's precursor should NOT attempt to be actual silence, but rather it should be a very low level dithered noise signal (that should be effectively inaudible) i.e. in this case the "silence" that is not actually 100% silence..

Please correct me if I am wrong...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

wildsam

• Recent member
Re: DSD Playback Pop issue
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:34:06 pm »

Hi Andrew,
thanks for your reply, I am surprised this issue is still occurring considering how long Dsd dacs have been available. Could it be that both dacs are newish and may need the firmware improved?
Is there any other users here who have the IDsd who could confirm?
Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up