INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to get jriver server and plex server to play nice together  (Read 5174 times)

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...

I need to run both plex and jriver to accommodate both an apple tv and a roku box.  the servers are running on a dedicated media server pc.  The problem i am experiencing is that when both servers are running plex seems to be working ok, but jriver media server does not.  Upon logging in, I get a pop up telling me that jriver is running but may not be running properly and i never see the icon pop up in the system tray.  additionally i have to stop the media center process via task manager to open the media center application.  when navigating to the server on my ps3, i would usually get folders in the audio, video, and pics columns that is being served by jriver.  recently that is not the case, all i am seeing is the plex media server.  Does anyone know if these two servers have conflicts?  any idea for a workaround and/or a solution to this?

TIA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: trying to get jriver server and plex server to play nice together
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:01:35 pm »

There is no known conflict.   Make sure you have Media Network turned on and test it.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:23:51 pm »

I was wondering if plex might have some TCP port open that MC is configured to use.

In a command shell, with only Plex running, you can see the ports being used by Plex:

lsof  -lP -i TCP -i UDP | egrep -i '^COMM|^plex'

You may have to adjust the command above if Plex's command name does not start with "plex" (case insensitive).  You can test that out with the simper:

lsof  -lP -i TCP -i UDP

Then, you can quit Plex entirely, and run Media Center to examine its port usage.  For example:

lsof  -lP -i TCP -i UDP | egrep '^COMM|^Media'

which outputs:

COMMAND     PID     USER   FD   TYPE             DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
Media\x20 80509      501   20u  IPv4 0xeca02aa716b55a95      0t0  TCP *:52100 (LISTEN)
Media\x20 80509      501   21u  IPv4 0xeca02aa714feeaad      0t0  UDP *:52100
Media\x20 80509      501   34u  IPv4 0xeca02aa7411e3a95      0t0  TCP *:52101 (LISTEN)
Media\x20 80509      501   39u  IPv4 0xeca02aa7411eca95      0t0  TCP *:52199 (LISTEN)
Media\x20 80509      501   50u  IPv4 0xeca02aa7411d8a95      0t0  TCP *:52102 (LISTEN)
Media\x20 80509      501   63u  IPv4 0xeca02aa70f97b18d      0t0  UDP *:1900

Look at the numbers just before the (LISTEN) - those are the open TCP ports.  The same TCP port number can't be open for listening by two different processes.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:37:48 pm »

Thanks, I'll take a look at that shortly.  ATM i have reloaded MC and am getting it set up again to see if it was just a bad install.  Probably should have down that first, too late now.  I'll post what i find.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:43:27 pm »

As JimH said, there shouldn't be a conflict.  The info I gave was just in case you'd changed some default ports.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

nickolsj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:18:31 pm »

I think the re-install may have partially fixed it.  i can see both servers on my ps3 and they are functioning.  

but i still have two minor issues: when trying to open MC, is gives me the pop up stating that the service is running but something went wrong and closes.  the only way to get it to work is to go into task manager and end the Media Center 19.exe process and open it up again.  The other (very minor) issue is that the icon in the notification tray is missing.  No big deal as long as the server is running.  

edit: the tray icon shows up after ending the Media Center 19.exe process and restarting MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up