INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Naim, QNAP, JRiver  (Read 5977 times)

econjp

Naim, QNAP, JRiver
« on: May 09, 2014, 04:06:13 pm »

My current setup for music streaming includes a QNAP NAS (TurboNAS TS-419P II) and Naim NDX network player (strongly recommended! especially if coupled with more Naim equipment  ;)). Although both my PC and my laptop contain some audio files the actual "collection" (ca 9000 albums) is on the QNAP. As they are in different formats and variously arranged, a good UPnP seems to be of critical importance. Twonky's performance (it came preinstalled on the QNAP) has been very disappointing... I would like to control the playing through Naim app (N-Stream) which (I think) means that the UPnP software should be installed on the NAS. Could JRiver MC (which otherwise looks great, although I haven't really tried it; came recommended by the guys who sold us the NDX) be installed on my QNAP? Is this a good idea? Should be most grateful...

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Naim, QNAP, JRiver
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:57:30 pm »

From what I know, most NAS units use Linux as their OS. So when MC came out in Linux form their were a lot of questions about forking Linux MC to suit. The JRiver team dampened down that excitement so as yet, I'm not aware of a reported case where MC sits on a NAS.

Even so, MC can sort out your needs. I stream video from a NAS to my HTPC simply by pointing MC to the network location and hitting "play". To make it easy I've mapped the NAS as a drive letter. I also use MC to stream from one box with MC to another which works well, plus to an android device using Gizmo.

While this isn't the same as your application and I can't give you specific advice, I'd expect there will be someone along soon.

In the meantime you could wander over to the Wiki and read up on Network setup (check the thread at the top of this board for a start), if you haven't already.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »

You might want to PM pcstockton to respond to this thread. There's at least one MC user who is very pro-Naim.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

econjp

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 02:11:46 pm »

Thanks, astromo... On some occassions yes I would like to point MC in the direction of my Naim and tell it to play tracks or albums (so to say, push the music toward it) but I haven't yet managed to do it and then there could be a problem that MC would sit on one or more of my computers, the files would be on the NAS and they would both be connected to the Naim. However, by and large this is not the solution that I am looking for, especially that my desktop is quite far from the Naim (and the speakers!). That is why (I think?) the Naim has to look for a UPnP, and I suspect that this implies that the files are where the UPnP software is which in my case has to be the NAS... The QNAP came with twonky but so far its performance been very disappointing and that is why I am looking for an alternative (better, more versatile) UPnP software to put it on the NAS (and then there is a question of how to install it). Linux version of MC seems to be the solution, but would like a few words of reassurance before I embark on such a radical experiment...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »

On some NAS drives, you can run a UPnP / DLNA server.  MC won't do that.

But MC can import files from your NAS and serve them via UPnP / DLNA.

It sounds like the Naim doesn't work as a renderer (push) but does work to play from a server (pull).

The wiki has a topic on DLNA.

DLNA works fine in MC for Linux.
Pages: [1]   Go Up