INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote -- Progress Bar & Skip Functions Not Working  (Read 7036 times)

JN

JRemote -- Progress Bar & Skip Functions Not Working
« on: May 09, 2014, 04:44:47 pm »

I just upgraded to the new JRemote v3 iPad app and the "progress slider" nor the skip back/forward buttons ("-30s", "-60s", "+30s", "+60s") work.  All other functions work like a charm. 
Here are the examples:
(1) move the progress slider bar forward or backwards, the track time changes briefly to the time in the pop up box, but then reverts back to the original time with no change to the desired location of the music.
(2) On the skip back button -- it moves the time back to zero track time briefly, then reverts to the original time with no change to desired location of the music.
(3) On the skip forward button -- either nothing happens or it skips back a few minutes, then reverts to the original time with no change to the desired location of the music.

Is there a setting(s) on JRiver that I need to change to adjust for this to work ? 

Here is my setup:  windows xp, JRiver v19.0.128, Marantz NA7004 (latest software), network is CAT6 cabled, ipad with IOSv7.1.1

Many thanks,
Geoff

nwhitta

Re: JRemote -- Progress Bar & Skip Functions Not Working
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 12:59:25 pm »

I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution?

kendrew

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 02:44:03 am »

This topic hasn't been posted for at least 120 days.
Has the issue been solved?
If so I would very much appreciate applying the fix.

I may be being optimistic?

I wasn't ever going to enter the downloaded digital music/streaming world - but finally caved in and recently purchased a Cambridge Audio CXN and set it up to play music files from a USB stick in the front, to our audio system.
Then cut our teeth with Plex and soon decided to go serious with JRiver and JRemote.

So - very recently bought an iPad (iOS 9) and installed JRemote 3.22.
We installed JRiver 21.0.8 on our iMac and set up Libraries etc. (steep learning curve for me) and now enjoy our burgeoning playlists wirelessly to the CXN - and to our audio system.
Fantastic, so convenient and flexible, with more options to come.

That's the good part - the excellent part.

But there's a niggle - as stated in this topic heading.

We are experiencing the same track progress bar malfunctions etc.

Would anyone at JRiver be able to assist with this problem?

Otherwise the whole setup is the bees knees.

In my searches I came across a related JRemote topic started August 23, 2015: INTERACT FORUM > Networks and Remotes > Media Network (Moderators: Forum Admin, bob) > JRiver track progress bar, when it's used as a DLNA server and control point.
It appears the topic is still open - the track progress bar issue may not yet be solved.

It appears to be a cross platform issue, regardless of streamers/players, irrespective of iOS/JRiver/JRemote versions etc.

Surely there are more users out there having similar experiences.

Thanks for your patience,

J.

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 04:21:36 am »

+1 on Android. Long term issue.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 07:07:12 am »

this is not going to help guys, but at least you can reduce the number of places for the devs to work

works fine in IOS 7 and 8 from a windows media server.

So as I said that doesn't help much  :P

as it could be a Mac issue or an IOS 9 issue ... and it could also be that the Android version does not support the feature yet really

anyway friendly bump as this must be frustrating as these are basic tools for a player/controller

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 11:07:48 am »

When pushing to a renderer via UPnP / DLNA the level of seek support depends on the media format being pushed. Some media formats support byte based seek, some support time based seek, and some do not support seek at all.

So please tell us what media format are you trying to play? And/or if you are transcoding? Also please tell us what version/build of MC are you using? Because the latest few builds of MC 21 made important improvements in Seek support for video.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:25:43 am »

For me, tapping a point in the progress slider does not work. The time of the tapped place flashes on, and then the track just keeps on playing.

What does work however, is dragging the slider. I can grab that and slide it along and playback continues from the point I leave the slider at.
This is with audio, transcoded or not, over 3G, on iPhone 6s.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 02:35:14 pm »

What audio format are you pushing?

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 05:13:37 pm »

mp3

kendrew

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 10:51:26 pm »

When pushing to a renderer via UPnP / DLNA the level of seek support depends on the media format being pushed. Some media formats support byte based seek, some support time based seek, and some do not support seek at all.

So please tell us what media format are you trying to play? And/or if you are transcoding? Also please tell us what version/build of MC are you using? Because the latest few builds of MC 21 made important improvements in Seek support for video.

AUDIO only:

Most formats, MP3, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, etc. - some transcoding. Progress Bar/Skip Functions do not work - no change.

Relatively new user;   JRiver 21.0.8 on our iMac(el Capitan);   J.Remote 3.22 (iPad iOS 9);   Renderer (CXN - wireless)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 12:49:59 am »

Does it Seek when you send the command from MC itself, and only fail to Seek when the command comes from JRemote? Or does it fail in both cases?

kendrew

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 01:05:15 am »

Does it Seek when you send the command from MC itself, and only fail to Seek when the command comes from JRemote? Or does it fail in both cases?

Fails in both cases.

Thank you for your attention.

J

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 01:18:55 am »

Ok. So it is not a JRemote problem, but rather something to do with the renderer or with MC. Try setting the MC server audio settings to always Convert to Specified format L16 No Header.

kendrew

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 03:26:05 am »

Ok. So it is not a JRemote problem, but rather something to do with the renderer or with MC. Try setting the MC server audio settings to always Convert to Specified format L16 No Header.

Apologies for the delay - would you please provide detailed instructions on how to access the appropriate area in order to change the MC server audio settings. I cannot find anything in Media Centre/Tools/Options/Audio - - please excuse my ignorance.

Arindelle

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 04:15:43 am »

Apologies for the delay - would you please provide detailed instructions on how to access the appropriate area in order to change the MC server audio settings. I cannot find anything in Media Centre/Tools/Options/Audio - - please excuse my ignorance.
this is in the Options/Media Network section from the "media server" machine. Add or configure DLNA Servers=>Audio=>Format and you'll find Andrew's suggestion L16 no header under the choices.

kendrew

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 04:57:32 am »

this is in the Options/Media Network section from the "media server" machine. Add or configure DLNA Servers=>Audio=>Format and you'll find Andrew's suggestion L16 no header under the choices.

Thank you for your courtesy. I shall initiate the settings tomorrow and get back to JRiver Interact - Your help is appreciated.
j

kendrew

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 03:17:19 am »

As per advice I reset the MC server audio format to:   PCM L16 No header.

JRemote on the iPad - playing music tracks - the tracking progress bar behaviour has not changed; slider advances a few seconds and then bounces back to the beginning - ad infinitum.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 03:29:35 am »

Ok. If L16 does not work the problem is with your renderer.

MC is sending all the right commands, and it is serving a perfectly seekable stream, so if the seek is not happening it is a renderer problem.

This does not surprise me much, since there is another thread where the OP has (other) problems with a CXN, so I get a strong impression that that product is not very good at UPnP.

kendrew

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 04:34:28 am »

Ok. If L16 does not work the problem is with your renderer.

MC is sending all the right commands, and it is serving a perfectly seekable stream, so if the seek is not happening it is a renderer problem.

This does not surprise me much, since there is another thread where the OP has (other) problems with a CXN, so I get a strong impression that that product is not very good at UPnP.

I tried audio format set to PCM L16 No header - again. For some reason, this time, only Album Artwork showing on CXN - no track playing at all; either from MC or JRemote. Adding insult to injury.

Changed back to PCM 16 bit - All audio OK  - (except for existing Progress Bar/skip problems).

I will contact Cambridge Audio.

Thanks for your efforts,

j

kendrew

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 11:38:27 pm »

Today I received a couple of responses from Cambridge Audio following my submission regarding the lack of function of the JRemote track progress bar and volume control slider when using JRiver and the CXN player.

Below are relevant parts of their replies:

“. . . . . This is because our players do not currently support a seek function, so this function will not be available via UPnP or any other method. . . . .”

“. . . . . We do adhere to the UPnP AV specification and follow it's protocols, but as we currently don't have a seek function, it's not going to work via UPnP or any other means. . . . .”

“. . . . . We are working on seek currently, but it will only be available when we change our playback engine (at some point this year). We will be following the UPnP control standard, so it will work from JRiver when we do the update. Our current playback engine doesn't allow for seek and it's very hard to add in, hence the need to change, and this is where we are focusing our resource on currently. . . . .”
------------------------------------
"Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in response, we are currently dealing with a backlog of support requests."

==========================
Cambridge Audio have been very solicitous with respect to my submissions over the years.

j

Arindelle

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 03:26:15 am »

well they are at least nice and honest about it. They are a good company, looks like they are trying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up