INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id -- Questions and Answers  (Read 52488 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Id -- Questions and Answers
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2014, 09:28:01 pm »

When will this update be available?
Hopefully Friday afternoon our time.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2014, 05:24:16 pm »

It's up.
This is mostly a OS kernel update.
It's also adds some low level support for future expansion.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2014, 06:18:12 pm »

Ultimately, the update went fine, but the first attempt to reboot after the update (from GUI) didn't switch to HDMI mode mid-way through boot, and at the end of audio init, came back with something like " can't start X-Server", then fell back to text mode, but running.  I selected a reboot to GUI (#1) and everything went fine that time.  Just FYI.

--Bill

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2014, 06:25:29 pm »

Ultimately, the update went fine, but the first attempt to reboot after the update (from GUI) didn't switch to HDMI mode mid-way through boot, and at the end of audio init, came back with something like " can't start X-Server", then fell back to text mode, but running.  I selected a reboot to GUI (#1) and everything went fine that time.  Just FYI.

--Bill
Thanks for the feedback!

Hilton

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2014, 05:56:36 am »

Upgraded while in text mode 3.  Worked flawlessly.

Cheers!

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2014, 02:31:16 pm »

Bob, see attached.  A little over three days since last update, and on latest hardware.  Was on a constant render loop, mixed speed FLAC's.  Was also noticing occasional drops and buffer replays on higher bit-rate files (176k, 192k).

--Bill

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:24 pm »

I assume that killed the Id?
I don't think MC at the user level can do that, the apic interrupt suggests trouble with a hardware device to me.
What were you using for an output device at the time?

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2014, 03:35:58 pm »

I assume that killed the Id?
I don't think MC at the user level can do that, the apic interrupt suggests trouble with a hardware device to me.
What were you using for an output device at the time?

That was with the Audioquest Dragonfly and GUI mode.  It's the exact same test I was running constantly on the other Id hardware, which was the subject of three (at least) similar crashes.  Just letting it run.

Anything you'd like me to try or change?

--Bill

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2014, 03:37:16 pm »

Which USB port?
I'll try to duplicate it here...
Edit: Also, your DSP studio settings would be good.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2014, 04:14:14 pm »

Which USB port?
I'll try to duplicate it here...
Edit: Also, your DSP studio settings would be good.

Ok.  The mouse/keyboard are plugged in to the rear USB jacks, and the Mosquito in the front.

When I tried to reboot from that crash, I got the thermal trip 'any key to continue' message.  Rebooted into the bios to check my thermal settings.  The current memory temp is 42, current MB temp 47.  Temp. Thresholds for both, per your recommendations of 88,68,78.  I believe that at the conclusion of a crash dump, the OS will be in a 100% CPU loop, if so, the box temperature might have been higher and then cooled down quickly once I started rebooting and looking at the bios.

DSP: Audio Device: front:CARD=DragonFly.DEV=0 [ALSA]
Device Settings: default

Output Format: reset to default, not what I had: < 44k=44k, 44k=44k, 48k=48k, 88k=88k, 96k=96k, 176k=176k, 192k=192k,352.8k=192k, 384k=192k, >384k=192.  The files being played were 44k, 48k, 96k, 176k and 192k.  The particular song that was playing at the time of the crash was 192k.
Volume Leveling: checked
All other boxes: unchecked
No Output Encoding, Channels: Source number (all stereo)
Can't remember if clip protection was on or off, but it was on after reboot.  I usually run it off.
Bitstreaming: off
Play files from mem: off
Disable display from turning off: on

It still had the old render playlist on hand so I just started it up to resume testing.  No actual server connection in place.

--Bill

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2014, 04:35:20 pm »

Thanks Bill,
The playlist was originally pushed from one of your windows PC's I assume?

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »

Yes, from 'Audio' through 'Bserve', my usual.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2014, 11:43:05 pm »

It's up.
This is mostly a OS kernel update.
It's also adds some low level support for future expansion.

Upgrade went okay. Had to reboot twice.
Id now recognizes Leema Elements Dac.
But my Elements DAC still only displays a 192kHz input when connected to USB audio (JRiver Id, running Linux).
I have tried changing the settings in DSP, but it made no difference.
It is fine with Windows 8 (compatibility mode), showing 44.1 kHz.
Have you come across any problems with Dac recognition and Linux?
I again point out that this problem only occurred after the previous update.
I have tried several USB cables, which made no difference.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2014, 09:57:46 am »

Upgrade went okay. Had to reboot twice.
Id now recognizes Leema Elements Dac.
But my Elements DAC still only displays a 192kHz input when connected to USB audio (JRiver Id, running Linux).
I have tried changing the settings in DSP, but it made no difference.
It is fine with Windows 8 (compatibility mode), showing 44.1 kHz.
Have you come across any problems with Dac recognition and Linux?
I again point out that this problem only occurred after the previous update.
I have tried several USB cables, which made no difference.
We've got about a dozen USB DAC's here which are all recognized.
It's possible there is some odd interaction between the bios on the NUC and your DAC however as Hilton noted that could be tested by plugging it in just as the NUC is booting (when the information is scrolling on the screen before it gets to the menu).
Is there a reason why it shouldn't show 192k when nothing is playing? That is the top sample rate of the DAC from what I see at quick glance at the manual.
I'd then expect it to go the the sample rate of the material when it's playing.
To prevent sample rate changes, the DSP output format in MC should be off and the option under Audio->Advanced->Auto-config ... should be unchecked.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2014, 03:37:50 pm »

Hi Bob,

Since the last crash three days ago, I've seen one complete lockup two days ago (screen, keyboard, mouse frozen) cold restart required, and early AM today another crash.  This was a real-time rendered from a server playlist, song #268 (starting from #1), 96k.  I've attached a screen shot.

Took two reboots to come back up clean (first time, just quit responding after a few minutes).  I've changed DSP processing to output 96k for all input speeds to see if that makes any difference with this Mosquito DAC.  I have three other DAC's, the Grace Designs which is in use all the time, a M2TECH HiFace and a Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC, but there doesn't appear to be working support for the latter two.

I could possibly reconfigure it as a server and let it push to another renderer for long period of time to see if it still crashes, or try a Null output device to bypass the Mosquito as a candidate.  Any other suggestions?

--Bill

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2014, 04:28:52 pm »

Hi Bob,

Since the last crash three days ago, I've seen one complete lockup two days ago (screen, keyboard, mouse frozen) cold restart required, and early AM today another crash.  This was a real-time rendered from a server playlist, song #268 (starting from #1), 96k.  I've attached a screen shot.

Took two reboots to come back up clean (first time, just quit responding after a few minutes).  I've changed DSP processing to output 96k for all input speeds to see if that makes any difference with this Mosquito DAC.  I have three other DAC's, the Grace Designs which is in use all the time, a M2TECH HiFace and a Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC, but there doesn't appear to be working support for the latter two.

I could possibly reconfigure it as a server and let it push to another renderer for long period of time to see if it still crashes, or try a Null output device to bypass the Mosquito as a candidate.  Any other suggestions?

--Bill
Hi Bill,
Mine ran for 2 days. I probably don't have as varied material as you.
I was pushing all FLAC and 44.1/16 48/24, 88.2/24, 96/24 and a single 192/24 in a repeat loop.
Also, I was using a dragonfly, I don't have a mosquito (is there a difference)?
The Mytek unfortunately requires some firmware files from windows and a hacked device drive to get it to work with USB2.
The HiFace is disabled by default in the kernel, I don't know why. I could turn it on though I suspect there is a reason it's off.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2014, 04:40:14 pm »

Hmm, I don't recall where I got Mosquito...  Mine says DragonFly right on it.

This crash is the first I've seen associated with a lower-than 176k file, and I think you once mentioned that one of the crash shots I sent looked like it might be related to audio i/o.  All freqs are now hard set to 96k in DSP so we'll see if that makes any difference.

Perhaps you could post your list of compatible DAC's at this point?

--Bill

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2014, 11:32:45 pm »

It's possible there is some odd interaction between the bios on the NUC and your DAC however as Hilton noted that could be tested by plugging it in just as the NUC is booting (when the information is scrolling on the screen before it gets to the menu).
Is there a reason why it shouldn't show 192k when nothing is playing? That is the top sample rate of the DAC from what I see at quick glance at the manual.
To prevent sample rate changes, the DSP output format in MC should be off and the option under Audio->Advanced->Auto-config ... should be unchecked.

The guys at Leema suggest making adjustments to the linux config files. Could you tell me how to open a Terminal Window to run Sudo etc.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2014, 01:20:46 am »

There is no terminal access to the Id.  It isn't possible.  Sorry. 

Please share what adjustments you think are needed.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2014, 02:42:44 am »

There is no terminal access to the Id.  It isn't possible.  Sorry.  

Let's be honest about it.  Terminal access is easily possible.  It just isn't allowed.  Unlike MC running in Windows (or Linux natively) as an open system, the Id with MC running in Linux is a completely closed system.  A decision I can understand how some would believe to be a 'better' idea, but I'm not one of them.  I suspect the issue of support is a big consideration, but also probably the idea of more user added processes running on the anemic hardware under which Id runs (the particular Intel NUC hardware model) would make the whole product potentially more unstable.

I realize the goal for the Id was to be a totally turnkey accessory for MC, but I for one would have rather paid a little more for an open implementation.

Don't get me wrong, I Love MC.  It's an amazing product and quite turnkey up to a point (considering its complexity and capabilities.  It mostly 'just works' and quite well at that).  I'm just disappointed with Id's apparent design goals and limitations (not referring to the current software issues which I'm sure will be fixed).

--Bill

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2014, 09:54:38 am »

We may make a more open version in the future.   Our goal right now is more focused.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2014, 09:14:32 am »

DSP output format was "on" and Audio etc was already unchecked.
I rebooted twice and it made no difference - Dac still displaying 192kHz no data..
A friend from the Queensland Audio Society brought some equipment over to do a comparison Friday afternoon.
We tried the same spec NUC, but it is running Windows JRiver 19.
The Linux version was audibly superior in my setup.
We then tried a Keces Dc-116 power supply.
With this connected instead of the supplied wall mart the DAC read the correct outputs (and sounded noticeably clearer).
The Dac still initially displays 192kHz no data, but then displays whatever sampling rate (44.1kHz or 96kHz for HiRes downloads) when the tracks are playing.
Which leads me to suspect that the wall mart is not supplying the correct power and/or this is interfering with the USB connection.
Leema (UK) had this to say about my sampling error problem
"Linux does not switch sample rate automatically like Windows. To change sample rate, you have to edit a protected config file. I normally set my Ubuntu pc to 176.4kHz, which is a good oversample rate for 44.1k material.
I use J River on PC, but have not tried the Linux version. The J River guys may have more up to date info on this. They are very responsive to questions."
As to future upgrades, I would like to see the ability to support an external USB storage device and also to enable theater view.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2014, 09:14:20 pm »

Looks like I spoke too soon. This morning I get a sample rate display of 96kHz (which was the last files it was playing last night).
Unlike yesterday, it isn't going to the sample rate (44.1kHz) when the files are playing. I tried playing both 44.1kHz and 96kHz tracks, but no difference, the display shows 96kHz no data.

Hilton

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2014, 05:04:54 am »

Normally a DAC will initially sync to its highest sample rate when being scanned at startup and then each track will reset the sample clock to what ever it needs to play the track. It will retain the last played sample rate until you give it a new track to reset the sample rate clock.

Your DAC is a UAC2 DAC so it may have some non-standard settings that make it flaky above 96k. 

There are also some UAC2 DACs known to be problems in Linux so they are either excluded from the Kernel and don't work at all, or they need customised .asoundrc config files so they sync at the right sample rates. Sometimes this means loosing bit perfect playback in order to get a "nearest" sample rate that the DAC supports.

MC19 has settings that influence this too, so you need to use GUI mode to make sure that any sample rates that you know your DAC wont support, are set to multiples of, or the nearest supported sample rate.

With the Id, if you try playback something that MC19 cant sync a sample rate with the DAC, it will usually default to 48k for everything until you reset it again with the GUI in DSP settings.

I recommend carefully testing various sample rate tracks in GUI mode and checking your DSP settings after each track to ensure its not resetting the DSP to 48k. When you find a problem format or track, try manually resampling using the DSP, to the nearest supported sample rate, or if your an absolute purest, a supported multiple of the sample rate that's a problem.

Hilton

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2014, 05:11:27 am »

I found another handy capability of running JRemote with the Id in the car, and I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. :)

You can use Siri on the iPhone to do voice to text in the search dialogues in JRemote on the iPhone.  

I found Im using this alot now in the car to find artists, albums or songs with just a couple of taps and swipes and asking siri to search and find it.
I'll record a demo video as its a pretty handy capability!

Cheers
Hilton

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2014, 01:37:22 pm »

Is the Id *really* capable of handling 96k+ flac files in real time when rendering from DLNA?  Or in all cases, even?

When I originate a DLNA stream from my server to Id it does a lot of what sound like buffer drops (a few seconds of audio) or sometimes short skips/drops.  Every once in a while it will stutter, repeating a few seconds that it just played.  This problem appears to be worse if Play from Memory is enabled.  Almost like something is interrupting the audio in/out ring buffer pointers randomly.  Most of the time I see it on FLAC files that are 176k or 192k, sometimes 96k, and seldom on 44k or 48k (but it does occasionally happen).  It doesn't seem to happen in the same places on the songs, it's much more random than that.

I've changed the audio device output to DragonFly to a fixed 96k, but it makes little difference.  Currently I'm trying it on HDMI audio with the DragonFly removed.  So far nothing has changed.

Now, if I have the Id load my Server's library directly, and play from there, the same playlists, the symptoms lessen greatly, but still happen once in a while.  Especially track re-starts after 20 or seconds of play.  Also, premature jumps to a new song before the current song is done.  And little burples in the audio, tiny skip here, tiny skip there... subtle but present.

My internal network is a switched GigE (1Gb), wired, and all devices are in the same /24 subnet.  There is no packet loss at all.  The same library server sending via DLNA to another MC on a regular computer works with no loss of any kind, and other machines attached to the server library or sharing files on the same filesystem (the same path designation on each computer) have no issues whatsoever.   From the same server I can feed video or audio anywhere in the house with no issues at full bitrates (highest is BluRay at just shy of 50Mbit/sec).

So that takes it back to the Id as far as I can see.

Other lingering issues include:

System freezes (hardware lockup),

software freezes (hardware still responding) but only a reboot will start it working again. 

If songs have stopped playing, the HDMI display still goes off even though the Disable Display from turning off option being checked. As long as tracks play the screen will stay on.

The first reboot after a crash will not run correctly most of the time.  It's confused about the library it was on (asking for credentials for a library it has not connected to), or will start to play and then just disappear, or other nonsensical behavior.  Next reboot it seems fine.

Opening Tools->Options->Audio->Audio Device->Device Settings  while a song is playing will blow away MC completely, but it will restart by itself in about 20 seconds (watchdog restart?).  Accessing Device Settings seems ok if nothing is playing.

I have not yet tried to duplicate any of this with a local library on the Id.

Could all these erratic behaviors have a common denominator? Such as a fault in this particular Intel NUC model motherboard?  Either a design problem, or just not enough CPU to start with?

--Bill

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2014, 06:52:29 pm »

Bill, I'm not having any trouble playing high bitrate flac files.
Are they being DSP'd on your configuration?

I added the ability to fix the output format in the latest update (just out).
Can you see if that helps with any of your issues?
The Dragonfly is S24_3LE

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2014, 06:54:11 pm »

Id update released.
This is a MC update. The changes are listed at the top of this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90535.0

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2014, 07:55:58 pm »

Bill, I'm not having any trouble playing high bitrate flac files.
Are they being DSP'd on your configuration?

I added the ability to fix the output format in the latest update (just out).
Can you see if that helps with any of your issues?
The Dragonfly is S24_3LE

Still doing the same stuttering, Bob.  New download installed.  However, I've narrowed the problem down to the Track Change section in Playback.  What you select there has dramatic impact on stuttering.  I had it on gapless (not sure why, as I normally don't use that) and in that mode it chops ending, stutters at beginnings and has little random burps throughout songs.  I'm now set to Gapped Fade 1s, Do Not Play Silence and Use Gapless for Album Tracks are off.  So far, on both using it on my remote server library directory, and separately as a DLNA renderer, it's doing pretty well.  I've heard a couple of little gurgles but none of the gross stuff.  I'll keep monitoring in DLNA mode as that was by far the worst.

It's important when you're listening for these kinds of issues, that it's not as background music.  It's very easy to miss some of this behavior if you're not really listening, and to familiar material.

Other items of note, Disable Display From Turning Off still isn't working if music has stopped.  In that case, once the screen goes off, you can't get it back without rebooting.  Same thing occurs if you don't respond quickly after a reboot.  It will eventually time out the screen forcing a reboot.

No, the files are native FLAC at varying speeds up to 192k,  no DSD and nothing converted from DSD in this case.

Also, Input/ Output speed settings in DSP->Output Format->Sample Rate doesn't seem to stick across re-boots.

Also, also, a right click on the output field (that sets everything to the designated speed) seems to lock up, forcing a reboot.  As soon as you rt-click, it's done.  It does, however, keep playing a current song if one is playing.  After that, nothing.

Hope this is helpful.

--Bill

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2014, 07:29:07 am »

Normally a DAC will initially sync to its highest sample rate when being scanned at startup and then each track will reset the sample clock to what ever it needs to play the track. It will retain the last played sample rate until you give it a new track to reset the sample rate clock.

Your DAC is a UAC2 DAC so it may have some non-standard settings that make it flaky above 96k. 

There are also some UAC2 DACs known to be problems in Linux so they are either excluded from the Kernel and don't work at all, or they need customised .asoundrc config files so they sync at the right sample rates. Sometimes this means loosing bit perfect playback in order to get a "nearest" sample rate that the DAC supports.

MC19 has settings that influence this too, so you need to use GUI mode to make sure that any sample rates that you know your DAC wont support, are set to multiples of, or the nearest supported sample rate.

With the Id, if you try playback something that MC19 cant sync a sample rate with the DAC, it will usually default to 48k for everything until you reset it again with the GUI in DSP settings.

I recommend carefully testing various sample rate tracks in GUI mode and checking your DSP settings after each track to ensure its not resetting the DSP to 48k. When you find a problem format or track, try manually resampling using the DSP, to the nearest supported sample rate, or if your an absolute purest, a supported multiple of the sample rate that's a problem.

According to Leema, " Our DACs only support high-speed USB2.0. They have now 1.1 compatibility mode as they are high speed only. This works fine with our Windows driver and with MAC, but Linux is not great with high rate high-speed USB.

I have only ever managed to get 96kHz, but that will work reliably as long as you edit the config file. The start-up default will always be what you set in that file.

The DAC will not start at the highest rate available. It has a conversation with the OS to find out what rate the OS is set to at switches to that rate.

You can prove this with Windows. Whatever rate you set will appear on the DAC when you hot plug the USB cable.

I should also say that all Linux builds are different and support audio in a range of different ways and sample rates. Different flavours of Linux will behave differently depending on what options have been included in their build and as such, we don't support Linux specifically. "

So the question remains, how do i edit the config file?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2014, 01:46:16 pm »

According to Leema, " Our DACs only support high-speed USB2.0. They have now 1.1 compatibility mode as they are high speed only. This works fine with our Windows driver and with MAC, but Linux is not great with high rate high-speed USB.

I have only ever managed to get 96kHz, but that will work reliably as long as you edit the config file. The start-up default will always be what you set in that file.

The DAC will not start at the highest rate available. It has a conversation with the OS to find out what rate the OS is set to at switches to that rate.

You can prove this with Windows. Whatever rate you set will appear on the DAC when you hot plug the USB cable.

I should also say that all Linux builds are different and support audio in a range of different ways and sample rates. Different flavours of Linux will behave differently depending on what options have been included in their build and as such, we don't support Linux specifically. "

So the question remains, how do i edit the config file?
If the file is specific to that particular device you can send it to me and I'll add it to the next update.

BrianZ

• Recent member
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2014, 04:33:14 pm »

I have an odd thing happen, I have been using the Id with my server PC all on MC 19, all wired to the router and running it so as to push the data to the Id. so I would use Gismo to set the source as the server and play to the Id.  this all seemed fine, played all sample rates to 352.8 and DSD 128, outside of boot up issues with Id all worked great, until I took the laptop PC I use as a server to the Capital Audio Fest and tried to get it working there for our show demo with gismo to control it and my wi fi router.  well that did not work as found out I needed to be on the internet and ended up using the hotel wi fi to run MC and gismo for the show.  Got back here and now in the same configuration it will not play DSD ( DoP ) and seems to just convert to 176 pcm.  I have made no changes at all and everything is set to not convert or best I can tell.  I can get it working by playing from the Id so as to pull data off the sever instead of pushing to the Id so when set that way it all works again. any ideas? 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2014, 04:42:50 pm »

I have an odd thing happen, I have been using the Id with my server PC all on MC 19, all wired to the router and running it so as to push the data to the Id. so I would use Gismo to set the source as the server and play to the Id.  this all seemed fine, played all sample rates to 352.8 and DSD 128, outside of boot up issues with Id all worked great, until I took the laptop PC I use as a server to the Capital Audio Fest and tried to get it working there for our show demo with gismo to control it and my wi fi router.  well that did not work as found out I needed to be on the internet and ended up using the hotel wi fi to run MC and gismo for the show.  Got back here and now in the same configuration it will not play DSD ( DoP ) and seems to just convert to 176 pcm.  I have made no changes at all and everything is set to not convert or best I can tell.  I can get it working by playing from the Id so as to pull data off the sever instead of pushing to the Id so when set that way it all works again. any ideas? 
The configuration for what file format to push is on the MC PC doing the pushing under the DLNA server configuration.
You can specify a particular DLNA server configuration to use by right-clicking on the ID zone under playing now and choosing the "Associate with DLNA server" option.

The ID shouldn't care about being connected to the internet. It does however need to be able to get an IP address (usually via DHCP).

BrianZ

• Recent member
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2014, 04:59:22 pm »

the situation in DC did not have the Id in the setup, just my laptop and phone, just when I got it back here and setup again I some how changed things.  well now I found it, and know how it got changed, thanks and its working both ways push and pull. plays dsd correctly.   only problems I have with the Id is boot up and the only way it will start up is to have it set to GUI mode and have a monitor connected just incase it asks me that it has x days left on the license key.  I just did an upgrade and I have not seen it come back so I might be able to go to headless mode which I want to do and never worked.  but I will try that later.

I have found a problem since upgrading the Id Friday, with DSD tracks it might get to the very end then loop the last few seconds of the track and not continue on with the play list, or with 44.1 PCM make sort of a distorted fade out.  never had this before.  some settings get changed I should check on?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2014, 10:35:57 am »

the situation in DC did not have the Id in the setup, just my laptop and phone, just when I got it back here and setup again I some how changed things.  well now I found it, and know how it got changed, thanks and its working both ways push and pull. plays dsd correctly.   only problems I have with the Id is boot up and the only way it will start up is to have it set to GUI mode and have a monitor connected just incase it asks me that it has x days left on the license key.  I just did an upgrade and I have not seen it come back so I might be able to go to headless mode which I want to do and never worked.  but I will try that later.

I have found a problem since upgrading the Id Friday, with DSD tracks it might get to the very end then loop the last few seconds of the track and not continue on with the play list, or with 44.1 PCM make sort of a distorted fade out.  never had this before.  some settings get changed I should check on?
I think that issue might have gotten fixed recently. I'm trying to get out another update asap..

BrianZ

• Recent member
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »

today I can not get it working at all, no license key it timed out and now no boot up.  I just tried checking for updates.  I can not use my key from 19 that I have as there is no way to enter a key so that will not work.
I just did a request for extension and got a new key emailed so its back up again.  will this go away?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2014, 06:05:15 pm »

today I can not get it working at all, no license key it timed out and now no boot up.  I just tried checking for updates.  I can not use my key from 19 that I have as there is no way to enter a key so that will not work.
I just did a request for extension and got a new key emailed so its back up again.  will this go away?
The key is stored in the backup configuration.
You can do a 77 to get that back.
I don't know why you are losing your configuration.
There will be an update before 6:30 CDT.
PM me your serial number and I'll email you the key.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2014, 11:26:19 pm »

The update to 19.0.160 is out.
Amongst other things it fixes the cutting of the end of some tracks.

talkinghead

• Recent member
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2014, 11:21:33 am »

I have never used JRiver Media Center before and I have just started my new JRiver Id but I have no idea how to configure it. It's sais that I can use the text menu to configure audio output but I can't find anything there to configure, The only place I can find any audio devices are in the GUI.

I can't find where I point to my DLNA/UPnP server that is a MinimServer. It's not possible to configure/change audio output via a web browser, nothing happens. I have been using Squeezebox server for many years and am used to remote configure everything via a web browser, isn't it possible to do the configuration via a web browser?

It's the first time I am using DLNA/UPnP so maybe I am doing this the wrong way.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2014, 02:31:33 pm »

Are there plans to support convolution on the Id?

Right now, the Browse command to select a convolution file is non-op, and externally via Samba the only hierarchy available for transfers starts at the 'media' directory level.

.160 seems to be doing ok so far.  A couple of days ago the previous version locked up, no response to any keyboard or mouse clicks, but the mouse itself was working and could switch windows.  When I exited that mode to restart it displayed a segmentation fault had occurred.  Besides that one event it had been stable for over a week.

--Bill

davidw55

• Recent member
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2014, 10:39:52 am »

Just received my Id.    I have it running pretty well as a renderer. It plays everything my MC19 server sends to it including 192K PCM files.  Rather nice.     What doesn't play ? ..... some radio stations.

e.g. RadioParadise AAC 128K  wont play at all.  This is odd because MC19 on Windows plays that radio URL and all the others that I have perfectly.

I have a 10 or so radio stations in a playlist and maybe half of them will play on the Id.

I'd love to fix the radio problem

Dave

davidw55

• Recent member
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2014, 02:50:07 pm »

Can somebody tell me the secret to getting the Id to function 'standalone' .. no monitor, no keyboard, HDMI audio output.

My Id will happily work in mode 1) GUI or 3) text with HDMI init   ..but only with a monitor and keyboard attached.

Mode 2 hasnt yet worked for at all

I'm probably doing something wrong

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2014, 04:31:32 pm »

Can somebody tell me the secret to getting the Id to function 'standalone' .. no monitor, no keyboard, HDMI audio output.

My Id will happily work in mode 1) GUI or 3) text with HDMI init   ..but only with a monitor and keyboard attached.

There is a bit of a catch 22 here related to how linux handles hdmi.
To run headless we need to not initialize the HDMI but some audio equipment seems to require hdmi initialization.

davidw55

• Recent member
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2014, 05:32:36 pm »

Oh dear

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2014, 05:37:33 pm »

There are some HDMI devices that might help.  I haven't tried any, but take a look at what people say about HDMI Buddy and similar.  The forums at AVSforum might be a good place to look.

My Id is connected to a receiver that is connect to a TV, both by HDMI.  I can use it without problems with both turned off (playing to Gizmo on an Android) or with just the receiver on (playing through its speakers).  When the TV is turned on, it also works until the TV sleeps, then the playback to the receiver pauses unless I turn the TV off.  Go figure.  I've learned how to work around it.

I've bought, but haven't tested, the Kinivo 5011BN HDMI Switch which I've read about.  I'll try to test it soon and report back.

davidw55

• Recent member
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2014, 09:26:10 pm »

OK, but what is HDMI Buddy ?

davidw55

• Recent member
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2014, 07:39:36 am »

Thanks Jim .. I'll take a look at the Kinivo.  Presumably you're thinking that it might do the HDMI initialization that Bob was referring to.

I have a setup similar to yours ... the Id connected to a receiver (Yamaha Rx471) which is connected to a 1080p TV.   Mode 1 (GUI) and 3 (Text with HDMI) work fine provided the TV is on.  In these modes, if the TV is off, the Id will seg fault during boot  (that's probably fixable). I can see the seg fault by switching the TV on.

In mode 2, with the TV on or off,  the Id just doesn't initialize properly .. it appears that even the network isn't up (just a guess) .. Ethernet lights are on but not flashing.

As a datapoint, I have other renderers (WDTV for example) that are Linux-based and will happily output HDMI audio without a TV.

davidw55

• Recent member
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2014, 07:46:50 am »

Just to be clear .. as an audio DLNA renderer, the WDTV is a child compared with MC and the Id.  It has only one trick that the Id can't yet do .. run headless HDMI audio to my receiver.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2014, 08:31:30 am »

I may split the radio discussion to a new thread.

Does the station offer an MP3 version?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2014, 11:45:37 am »

I double checked this on the stock unit here and it worked.
What do you get when you boot in mode 2 with a monitor attached? Where does the boot process stop??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up