INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id -- Questions and Answers  (Read 52487 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Id -- Questions and Answers
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2014, 03:11:41 pm »

Prior to updating to 141, I had been running Id in GUI mode with software 139 for a couple of days, full screen.  While it was still rendering, I was not able to bring it out of full screen or close it.  The commands simply did not function.  I brought the options menu to the top and it ignored the first few attempts to reboot, but finally did with option 2 (headless text).  But it came back up in GUI mode that time.  Next attempt took it to Headless Text, from which I successfully (?) installed the update.

Rebooting to GUI mode I was presented with "The trial period has expired." message.  Subsequently rebooting to Headless Text or Text with HDMI both completed, but the software must have still thought it was in trial mode because no renderer ID number showed up on any MC, in any mode.  I waited for ten minutes each time.

I can ping its network address no problem.

What to do next?

--Bill

Try running 77 to restore the Settings (including the license).
I'm thinking that you are having enough trouble with it that I can't explain that it might be better to swap it out so we can get a look at what's going on with yours.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2014, 05:35:35 pm »

Try running 77 to restore the Settings (including the license).
I'm thinking that you are having enough trouble with it that I can't explain that it might be better to swap it out so we can get a look at what's going on with yours.

That's your call, Bob.  I'm happy to exchange it if needed.

77 restored the licensing ok and it's working now.  However, on the other MC's, it's showing as id-<macaddr> on all of them, instead of only on the fileserver, and There: id-<macaddr> on the others as it has been doing before.  I can force each client MC to display correctly by completely restarting it.  Plus, the server MC cannot send to it as a renderer.  It just tries each song, then in four seconds or so, skips to the next, and on and on.  The server was completely restarted as well.  Settings on Id for DLNA use seem correct.  I just tried restarting Id again to GUI, but same results.  One last Id reboot to HDMI text, still no op as a renderer.

--Bill

BrianZ

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:10 am »

bill, you might try to check your settings in your GUI play options for what outputs are assigned from the Id to your DAC, I am using USB out to an XMOS device and found that when I did the 77 reload for the same reason, it changed these to back to the default, it actually worked once but when i rebooted it changed and no longer worked so i had to reselect it.   I find that with my DAC i need to select the frontCARD=X20 for out to the DAC, if not i got playback jumping from track to track as you note, i think it does not see a device to play to and skips around, took me a while to figure out why this happened when i first got it.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27:55 am »

Bob, I had suspected something along those lines, but the first thing I did in the GUI was to set the audio device to front mosquito.  Last night I just gave up and turned it off (which I don't usually do) from HDMI Text mode.  This morning I turned it on to HDMI Text mode, did another 77 and this time it came up and just worked -- except it was using the HDMI audio channel.  So I rebooted to GUI and changed the playback device appropriately, and now it's working fine.  Go figure.

--Bill

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2014, 05:21:42 pm »

Finally the Id has arrived.

However I was unable to view the GUI or text menus on my plasma by HDMI. the plasma is connected via my AVR, though connecting it directly made no difference. Oddly using MC on my PC and JRemote I was able to use it as a renderer actually play music out through it to the AVR.

So, any ideas how I get to the GUI screens, and could I get access via something like VNC?

Regards

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2014, 08:34:48 pm »

Did you update the software?

If you can't see it, the menu is shown in the instructions on our wiki.

You might try a direct connection to the TV.

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2014, 04:06:53 am »

Couldn't display anything.  Tried connecting it directly to the TV. No display.  No text screen, no GUI.

It's clearly running and MC can 'see' it from my PC, and as I say JRemote connects.

But without the display running I can't change any of the settings, upgrade or anything.  Will try and connect it to a monitor tonight.  However it would be useful to be able to remote into it from another device.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2014, 09:56:56 am »

Even though it should always show its menu once a screen is connected, you can try to reboot it into GUI mode.
To do that, boot it up and give it a bit to be ready, then simply enter "1" (only the number one) and press Enter, which is the menu command for GUI mode. It'll reboot shortly after and hopefully come up with an image for you.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2014, 01:46:50 pm »

Try the update.  It's option 12.  Type 12 and hit enter.

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2014, 01:48:30 pm »

So, having taken the id into the study, I find it can output to a monitor fine, but not the Panansonic Plasma.

Worked first time against the monitor.  Of course the limitation of this is I can't set it up against the AVR or Belcanto, because they're next to the hi fi and the monitor is in another room.

I'm a bit stumped now.

Wondering about being able to telnet or VNC onto it.

Any ideas ?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2014, 01:55:36 pm »

Sounds like your TV just doesn't support the low resolution that is used in text mode.
You could boot it in GUI mode and then try it on the TV again.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »

So with the Id now working, and upgraded, how do I go about playing tracks from my DNLA server.

I see it listed but each time I try and load the library it hangs.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2014, 09:42:39 pm »

Loading a DLNA library can take a long time.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2014, 06:50:16 am »

Are you using a phone as a Controller?  iOS or Android?  That's the easiest.

Try it first by using a Windows or Mac machine.  Play anything in MC to your Id.  This should be described in the instructions.  If they are unclear, let me know

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2014, 08:43:49 am »

All very odd, however

A quick look before coming to work, showed the synology DNLA 'library' loaded.

Firing up JRemote on my ipad, displayed the various albums.  loading the album thumbnails appeared a bit slow, but I assumed this was because it was the first time loading.

I'll have a better play this evening.

A couple of random questions:

1. Adding new tracks to the server, will I need to reload the 'library'.
2. I guess the MC playlists available on my PC/MAC won't be available on the DLNA server.
3. Is there any real point in running it headless? If I simply remove the keyboard and mouse, wouldnt that be enough?
4. I'd still like to run VNC. Presumably I just need to find a way to install it

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2014, 10:56:05 am »

There isn't any way to install VNC.  It's meant to be a CE device, not a Linux computer.   

You could remove the keyboard and display to try it. 

Hilton

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2014, 12:46:57 am »

All very odd, however

A quick look before coming to work, showed the synology DNLA 'library' loaded.

Firing up JRemote on my ipad, displayed the various albums.  loading the album thumbnails appeared a bit slow, but I assumed this was because it was the first time loading.

I'll have a better play this evening.

A couple of random questions:

2. I guess the MC playlists available on my PC/MAC won't be available on the DLNA server.
3. Is there any real point in running it headless? If I simply remove the keyboard and mouse, wouldnt that be enough?
4. I'd still like to run VNC. Presumably I just need to find a way to install it

Not all DLNA servers are created equal! ;)  MC19 and Id as DLNA server work much faster than the lite DLNA versions running on many devices out there in the market.  
Many of the appliance DLNA servers (like the synology) are based on miniDLNA which has to reindex everything after a NAS reboot.  MC19 and Id running MC19 don't have this issue, 1. because they have more processing power, and 2. because of the way they work, MC19/Id has a fast database engine so it's an "instant on" DLNA server, where as many other DLNA servers, after a reboot, you have to wait and wait and wait... before you can access information from another DLNA renderer.  That's the main reason for me switching from the Seagate Wireless drive to direct USB drive.  The seagate runs the same miniDLNA as the Synology and would take upto 3 hours to reindex the DLNA database after a reboot which meant MC19 and the Id would take a while to update it's library when connecting.

The first time you access the Synology DLNA server from MC19 or the Id it will be slowish until its cached the images and data. It depends on the DLNA Server it's not a fault of MC19 or the the Id. A fast DLNA server on a fast network will show almost no delay. MC19 to Id, and Id to MC19 is very quick.

Not sure if the auto-update works for DLNA but I select the original Id library and then reload the DLNA library to update it.

Yes as per my PM - You can get around this a number of ways. I'll go into this another time in more detail as its a lengthy answer.

The way to get full playlists is to mount the NAS on another PC in the house that runs full MC19 and run the Id connected to the library of that machine.

It means an extra machine running, but it's pretty straight forward and actually how I run the Id now at home since I have a media server/HTPC on 24/7.

Any changes I make on my main HTPC library are also accessible from the Id, including playlists because its loaded the HTPC library instead of its own local library.  

You can also export your MC19 playlists to a folder on the NAS and the Id will import them over DLNA.

When I'm in the car I run the Id local library with an attached 2TB USB drive that I sync from my HTPC using a portable profile for the USB drive. The sync profile for the drive also dumps my playlists which I can import on the Id when it's connected to the USB drive.  I'll post some instructions up when I have more time, its pretty simple once you understand how the Id and MC libraries work.

Running it in text mode is currently more stable but there's no reason you can't use a wireless keyboard/mouse (not Bluetooth) in GUI mode.  You can unplug the keyboard once it's booted into either text mode or GUI mode if you're not using a wireless keyboard, and just control it via JRemote/Gizmo or another MC19 device.

I currently use a mixture of iPhone, iPad and Surface Pro 2 tablet depending on what I'm doing.  I usually use JRemote on the iPhone as a remote, JRemote on the iPad for browsing/remote, and the surface pro 2 tablet for anything more heavy duty using the full MC19 to remotely control the Id.

For music the Id does everything my dedicated HTPC does, and it operates identically with all the above devices. That's the beauty of it!

That might be possible at some point, but that's a lot of work to get it working for non Linux users in an easy way and reliably.

Once the Id is setup, you should be able to do almost everything you need to do with JRemote or Gizmo apart from Library management, which is why I recommend loading up a library from another machine.

The whole concept of the Id is that it's a high quality plug and go music appliance that leverages all the goodness of MC19 but without being a PC.  It's not trying to be a PC, and it's not really meant to be a media server.  It will do it for audio, but there are far better ways to do that at this time using MC19 on another machine.  

Bob's adding configuration controls from a web browser, which may be the way forward for everything in the future.  When they get video working, it starts to become a better proposition as a server, but the CPU is really only powerful enough for rendering video locally.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:27 am »

The whole concept of the Id is that it's a high quality plug and go music appliance that leverages all the goodness of MC19 but without being a PC.

For music the Id does everything my dedicated HTPC does, and it operates identically with all the above devices. That's the beauty of it!
Well said.  Thanks.

We're aiming at making it easy to set up and run.  People who want it to do more than it does may choose to run the standard JRiver Media Center for Linux, but that's a lot more technically demanding.

BrianZ

• Recent member
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2014, 12:00:59 pm »

A bit of a update with my use of the Id.  all in all it is all working quite well now for about 2 weeks, I have a Win 7 PC with MC19 as the server now moved to another part of the house, and the Id at my DAC in my listening room, all connected with Cat5 to the router, run it all from my android phone with Gismo, library is on the Id too, syncs up if i make changes at the server, plays everything and hi resolution including DSD, so once its up and going it works great and really does what i want it for, which is not to have the PC in my listening room. 
The problem is getting it to consistently come up.  When I first got it, I setup with the GUI, then changed to running it as headless as the reason to use this is not to have a PC as such in my listening room, but this proved to be problematic as i would have to repeatedly restart the Id, and in the end connect the monitor to shut it down or reboot with 98 or 99 which it seemed to like better than pushing the power button on the Id, and then it might come up more consistently. I gave up on that and now leave it in GUI and turn off the monitor, that way i see it boot completely first. A lot better but even then it will not always boot the MC app, or stop and tell me that the license will expire in 20 days, so i have to clear that then it going.  the issue is not it booting the OS,  but it appears that it does not start the MC app completely,  or that's what seems to be happening in the headless mode and its left hanging.  this is really the only issue i have using it, is there a fix for some of this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:32 pm »

Thanks for the report.  Did you try updating?

BrianZ

• Recent member
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2014, 02:29:49 pm »

not since a week ago when I had an issue with the license before, I can do an update now and see if that improves things.   

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2014, 02:40:40 pm »

We've fixed a licensing problem in the last couple of days, but it may not be in the Id version yet.  You could read about it on the Linux board.  Sorry for the problem.

Expect the experience to get steadily better.  We appreciate your patience.

BrianZ

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2014, 02:59:10 pm »

I just did an update, after which when I re-started.  The screen went black and I had to pull power to get it to boot again.  It does that when you change from headless back to GUI sometimes too and the only way out it pull the plug.  Got it going, just for testing i did a 98 reboot, same thing had to pull the power to get it going.  now i set it to headless and did a restart with the on off button a few times, so might be behaving a bit better for headless operation but then again i still have the monitor connected to see what's going on as there seemed to be some correlation with it starting up in the past if the monitor was connected, so just did a hard button restart with the monitor off and it came back up again. , i will run for a few days and let you know how it goes, and in a few days i'll do another update, btw sounds great too.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2014, 03:05:11 pm »

I just did an update, after which when i re started it, screen when black and i had to pull power to get it to boot again ...
It was probably still working on the update.  We need to message that better.
btw sounds great too.
Thanks. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2014, 04:47:29 pm »

It was probably still working on the update.  We need to message that better.  Thanks.  
For some reason the shutdown doesn't always complete after an update. Working on that.

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2014, 08:42:53 am »

So finally up and working.

My setup is currently

The Id.
A Marantz AVR
A Bel canto 3.5 via a Vlink USB/Spdif
A Synology NAS running the DLNA server
JRmote on an ipad

Other Stuff

A PC managing ripping, meta data management, which nowadays is rarely used
A Mac Mini, currently in the lounge, which i'd hope the Id will replace.
A Sonos network

Things that I've noticed.

1. Mixing tracks of different bit depths occasionally trips the Id up, but all bit rates up to 24/196 via the Bel Canto work fine.
2. Unplugging the keyboard/mouse doesn't seem to bother the Id, making me wonder if there's any value in the headless setting.
3. The bigger limits of a DNLA server seem to be around the meta data offered up by the server than anything else, plus some issues around thumbnails
4. Can't spot any SQ difference between using the Id and a Mac Mini, which is a good thing, though more testing is needed.
5. Identifying the USB DAC within MC required a bit of trial and error.
6. JRemote works well, though thumbnail image loading is a bit sluggish.
7. International postage is a night mare :)

Things I'd like to see

1. Network drive access, rather than the DLNA servers.
2. Remote access to the id from a PC, thus saving the need to hook up a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
3. More time to listen to music !

Anyhow the adventure continues.......

G. Shumway

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 02:23:50 am »

Got my Id up and working without drama, so thank yous for all the effort to make that the case.

I do have a question, though.  It seems I am not able to turn off repeat mode, am I missing something?  Repeat is checked in the menu in GUI mode, but grayed-out and unselectable.  I'd prefer for playback to simply end when it finishes a playlist--this is possible, right?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2014, 07:06:17 am »

If you're using it as a Renderer (playing to it from another machine), then the setting that matters is on the other machine.  The same is true if you're playing to it by controlling it from a phone.

Nice to hear that it went well.  Thanks.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2014, 05:08:15 am »

My Id has been cutting out after playing about 4 tracks.
At first I thought it was losing the network connection to my PC library (JRiver 19 windows).
It would play again if I manually used a mouse to click on play again.
But it would stop again after a few more songs.
Then it started displaying a "could not play with this audio device" message.

After a lot of investigation (and numerous reboots) it appears that the Id no longer will recognize my USB DAC.
It plays back fine using HDMI audio settings (through the Sony TV and optical out to the DAC - Leema Elements).
There are now DAC options being displayed in audio settings (worked fine through DAC last week).
the main reason I purchased the Id was to be able to utilize USB audio.

Hilton

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2014, 06:32:47 am »

My Id has been cutting out after playing about 4 tracks.
At first I thought it was losing the network connection to my PC library (JRiver 19 windows).
It would play again if I manually used a mouse to click on play again.
But it would stop again after a few more songs.
Then it started displaying a "could not play with this audio device" message.

After a lot of investigation (and numerous reboots) it appears that the Id no longer will recognize my USB DAC.
It plays back fine using HDMI audio settings (through the Sony TV and optical out to the DAC - Leema Elements).
There are now DAC options being displayed in audio settings (worked fine through DAC last week).
the main reason I purchased the Id was to be able to utilize USB audio.

Im sure we can help get you going again.

I assume you meant it doesn't show up under audio devices anymore?

Things to try if you haven't already.

I know you've probably done this but just for completeness.... Check your playing back in the right zone.
Reset all the DSP output settings to 48000hz.
Update the Id.
Try the DAC on your computer to see if it still works.
If the DAC has any cables, check the cables and try different cables if possible.
Try a different USB port.
Unplug any other USB devices from the Id.
Try starting in both the other txt modes 2 & 3 and then back in gui mode 1.
When testing in txt modes above, check in a web browser http://Your-Id-IP-address:52199/WebRemote/audiodevice.html  and see if the DAC shows up in the list. (use your Id IP address) select the DAC if it shows up and then test.

2 last resort things to check - your choice which order you do them in but I would check the bios first.

Check Bios settings and that the usb ports are active.

Resetting the Id with option 77 will delete all your settings and you'll have to re-import your library but its the absolute last resort.

If all this fails then you might need to try borrow another DAC to see if it works before sending the Id back to be checked.

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2014, 11:34:41 pm »

I am clearly doing something wrong.  I managed to play from the Id for one evening, using MC19 on my Mac (mini) where the Id appeared under Playing Now.  It took 3 hours of futzing around to get there because it didn't work as suggested.  The sound was, however, extremely good. 
After closing the system down, and re-booting each day since, the Id doesn't appear anywhere in MC19 on the Mac.  I can see it everywhere on the Network on all Win & Mac machines but not in MC19 Mac. 
If I switch to GUI mode, it appears as Id-XXXXX (Library Server) in the Mac's MC if I load the local Mac machine's MC library on the Id, then I can control the Id with JRemote but this is not what I want.  I want the Id to simply be a renderer of the MacMini's MC19 library, over HDMI at fixed 24bit/48kHz, controlled from the Mac as a linkable zone.    The Mac has Media Server enabled but not Library Sync.  Switching modes 1, 2, 3 has no effect on this, nor does reset 77.  Possibly I'm confused between Id MC19 settings in the GUI and running headless.  The Id streams to a Smyth Realiser A8 over HDMI.

Other puzzlements:
Frequently the Id fails to initialize the HDMI from mode #3.  The one time it worked as a renderer the volume was maxed and the volume options pertaining to System, Internal, Disabled didn't appear on the serving Mac's MC19.  I can control volume other ways so that isn't a bother, just different to playing through, say, Apple TV using Airplay.
On the first page of this thread there are references to options #4, #5, #6, #10.  I have none of these.  I have only 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 77, 98, 99.
Bob mention "server toggle" what or where is that?
Does #12 update both the Id OS AND it's MC19 or do I update MC through the GUI?  It's 148 currently, which surprised me.

Marty

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:09 am »

OK, sorry, I got this partially figured out:  Dumbo here had unticked some advanced options in Media Center.  The Id now appears in MC on the Mac and it plays (wonderfully) but how do I control the volume?

New problem - this appeared: -su line 1: 3231 Segmentation fault    mediacenter19 /mediaserver > /dev/null 2>81
What should I do?

Marty

Hilton

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2014, 01:52:54 am »

I think your getting confused with server mode, streaming and rendering.

Lets confirm first how your Id is connected.

From my understanding:

Mac Library Server > Id Renderer > Smyth Realiser A8 HDMI for audio.

Just saw your reply below as I was typing.. Looks like you sorted it.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2014, 04:39:09 am »

Im sure we can help get you going again.

I assume you meant it doesn't show up under audio devices anymore?

Things to try if you haven't already.

Have done all that without much success.
USB cables are fine, settings checked, reset output to 48000hz.
Makes no difference as to what USB port is used.
All USB ports enabled in bios.
I had already done both upgrades when first installing the Id as I had a problem with the Linux license not registering (as per direct email with JimH).
Id bios will not update online, giving a message about cannot find identification number (or something like that).
The Id will recognize my Cambridge Audio Dac Magic in audio devices, but not the Leema Elements DAC.
It previously offered 2 DAC audio options when connected to the Leema Elements DAC.
The Leema Elements DAC works fine through USB audio in Windows (JRiver19) on my PC *Windows 8.1).
I haven't had time to try out the text modes option.
I don't understand exactly what you mean by "When testing in txt modes above, check in a web browser http://Your-Id-IP-address:52199/WebRemote/audiodevice.html  and see if the DAC shows up in the list. (use your Id IP address) select the DAC if it shows up and then test."
Probably because I haven't tried it yet.
Sending it back for testing is a PITA (and expensive) as I am located in Australia.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2014, 05:06:42 am »

Please see the "Audio Devices" section of the instructions here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Instructions

Hilton

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2014, 05:37:36 am »

Other puzzlements:
Frequently the Id fails to initialize the HDMI from mode #3.  The one time it worked as a renderer the volume was maxed and the volume options pertaining to System, Internal, Disabled didn't appear on the serving Mac's MC19.  I can control volume other ways so that isn't a bother, just different to playing through, say, Apple TV using Airplay.
Marty

It looks like the when you switch between push/pull rendering and serving the MC DLNA get's itself in a knot.

After testing all the below and going back and forth I managed to create a situation where the volume control wouldn't work and the Id wouldn't serve media, the remote renderer said it couldn't play the media too. After restarting the remote renderer though it was fine.  So it may just be a limitation of DLNA or it could be a bug in the Linux versions.  It worked fine for all of the tests below until the last one.

It should work reliably as long as your not switching from server to renderer and from push to pull media.

----------------
From a windows MC19 client and also my windows HTPC server I can control the Id volume from both. Doesn't matter if im using internal or system volume on the Id they both control volume on the Id as a renderer just fine.  Also JRemote controls the volume too.  

The setup I just tested to verify the above is as follows.

I have all my MC19 systems and the Id set as DLNA Servers, DLNA Renderers and DLNA Controllers in the media Network settings.

Push audio from HTPC Library server > Id as Renderer to external DAC with internal Id library loaded (controlled from HTPC/JRemote and another Windows MC19 instance)
Pull audio from HTPC Library server > Id as Renderer to external DAC with HTPC library loaded (controlled from HTPC/JRemote and another Windows MC19 instance)

In all the above cases the volume control works just fine from any device.

This one wouldn't work though until I restarted the MC19 client.
Push audio from Id Library server > MC client as Renderer with its own local library loaded (controlled from HTPC/JRemote and another Windows MC19 instance)

Other puzzlements:
On the first page of this thread there are references to options #4, #5, #6, #10.  I have none of these.  I have only 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 77, 98, 99.
Bob mention "server toggle" what or where is that?
Does #12 update both the Id OS AND it's MC19 or do I update MC through the GUI?  It's 148 currently, which surprised me.

Marty

The options available now are what you have in your Id, the earlier threads are now not accurate as Bob changed a few options to simplify things.

Option 12 will update both Id OS and MC19 if it needs to, but most updates at this stage are just MC19 updates. I think there was an OS update when Bob updated the menu options recently though just as an example.

The GUI update wont work, all updates are done from the text menu.

Hilton

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2014, 05:43:56 am »

OK, sorry, I got this partially figured out:  Dumbo here had unticked some advanced options in Media Center.  The Id now appears in MC on the Mac and it plays (wonderfully) but how do I control the volume?

New problem - this appeared: -su line 1: 3231 Segmentation fault    mediacenter19 /mediaserver > /dev/null 2>81
What should I do?

Marty

Still some bugs being worked on. Just restart it.

Hilton

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2014, 05:50:58 am »

Have done all that without much success.
USB cables are fine, settings checked, reset output to 48000hz.
Makes no difference as to what USB port is used.
All USB ports enabled in bios.
I had already done both upgrades when first installing the Id as I had a problem with the Linux license not registering (as per direct email with JimH).
Id bios will not update online, giving a message about cannot find identification number (or something like that).
The Id will recognize my Cambridge Audio Dac Magic in audio devices, but not the Leema Elements DAC.
It previously offered 2 DAC audio options when connected to the Leema Elements DAC.
The Leema Elements DAC works fine through USB audio in Windows (JRiver19) on my PC *Windows 8.1).
I haven't had time to try out the text modes option.
I don't understand exactly what you mean by "When testing in txt modes above, check in a web browser http://Your-Id-IP-address:52199/WebRemote/audiodevice.html  and see if the DAC shows up in the list. (use your Id IP address) select the DAC if it shows up and then test."
Probably because I haven't tried it yet.
Sending it back for testing is a PITA (and expensive) as I am located in Australia.

Boot the Id into text mode 3 and follow the link Jim posted above to check if the DAC shows up.
The other thing you could try is plugging the DAC in AFTER the Id has booted. (give it a minute to detect it)

I just read the manual for your DAC and its a UAC2 DAC. It may have loaded in USB1.1 compatibility mode on the Id before when it was working.
Have you changed any settings in the DAC or the Id Bios? The USB ports must be in high speed USB 2 mode or the DAC wont work.
Where abouts in Australia are you? Maybe I can help you out. Im on Sydney's north shore.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2014, 10:37:46 am »

There are also some differences between the front USB port on the ID and the rear ports. The front is USB3 the rears are USB2 and they are on different controllers IIRC. You might try changing those.
The segfault indicates MC died in text mode for some reason. After 60 seconds it is automatically restarted.
If you run in GUI mode, you can check the device settings for your USB DAC.
You should leave it plugged in during boot if possible or else when you go into MC settings the device will set to default if your DAC isn't there.
Whenever you run 77 you are resetting all of the saved parameters in MC and you'll have to reselect your USB DAC in MC.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2014, 09:25:23 pm »

Boot the Id into text mode 3 and follow the link Jim posted above to check if the DAC shows up.
The other thing you could try is plugging the DAC in AFTER the Id has booted. (give it a minute to detect it)

I just read the manual for your DAC and its a UAC2 DAC. It may have loaded in USB1.1 compatibility mode on the Id before when it was working.
Have you changed any settings in the DAC or the Id Bios? The USB ports must be in high speed USB 2 mode or the DAC wont work.
Where abouts in Australia are you? Maybe I can help you out. Im on Sydney's north shore.

Morning:

Thanks Hiltonk,
I'm in Ipswich Queensland.
The Id initially did not boot when first installed.
This was traced to the SSD dive not being firmly located into the connector (knock in transit?).
It initially took several boots for the Id to recognize the Leema Elements DAC.
It was good for a few days, then the DAC display changed after I updated the Id (to fix the license issue).
After the update the Leema Elements DAC changed it's sample rate input display from USB Async 44.1KHz No data (see http://www.leema-acoustics.com/documents/manuals/USB%20Driver%20Installation%20Windows%208.pdf) to USB Async 192 kHz No data.
The display on the DAC normally reports back the Sample Rate, ASYNC and FB< I > .
Two days later the Id started cutting out after playing a few tracks.
I have not changed any settings in the DAC or BIOS.
I have checked the audio devices via a web browser.
It only lists the default settings (see below).

WebRemote JRiver
Playing Now
Library
Audio Device
Devices
The list of audio output devices available to the Player zone.
The currently selected device is highlighted.

Null Output
    default:CARD=PCH [ALSA]
    front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    sysdefault:CARD=PCH [ALSA]

Plugging in the DAC after the Id had booted made no difference.
When I plug in the Cambridge Audio Dac Magic it displays these settings:

WebRemote JRiver
Playing Now
Library
Audio Device
Devices

Null Output
    default:CARD=Set [ALSA]
    front:CARD=Set,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    iec958:CARD=Set,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround40:CARD=Set,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround41:CARD=Set,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround50:CARD=Set,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround51:CARD=Set,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround71:CARD=Set,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    sysdefault:CARD=Set [ALSA]

This is the same menu that used to be It is the iec958:CARD=Set,DEV=0 [ALSA] audio device setting that I previously used to load the Leema Elements DAC.

It's definitely not the Leema Elements DAC that is causing the problem.
I tried a creative fix this morning. I plugged the DAC Magic back in a selected the iec958:CARD=set,DEV=) [ALSA] audio device setting and then unplugged the USB from the DAC Magic and plugged in the (powered on) Leema Elements DAC.
Eureka, it worked! For how long I don't know. ;D
The Leema is displaying the correct 44.1KHZ Sample Rate, ASYNC and FB< I > .
The Id is also back in Network "Computer" on my main PC (having disappeared when the fault arose), although it was always displayed there in "Media Devices" (No conversion) and "Other Devices" as a media server.

I have noticed that with the Leema Elements DAC connected there are two DAC audio options.
Should I stay with the iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA] or use the  front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA]

WebRemote JRiver
Playing Now
Library
Audio Device
Devices

Null Output
    default:CARD=DAC [ALSA]
    front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround40:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround41:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround50:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround51:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    surround71:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA]
    sysdefault:CARD=DAC [ALSA]

It has been an extremely time consuming and frustrating exercise.
What concerns me is that I still don't know what went wrong and of more concern, will it do it again ?

Early Evening:

Well, my elation was short lived!
I played an entire album without any problems.
I had to go out for a while, so shut everything down.
When I rebooted the Id, the Leema Elements DAC displayed a sample rate of 192KHZ.
When I played the first track of an album, the display rate reverted to 44.1KHZ.
The Id stopped after only playing 1 track.
The Id is no longer displayed in "Network" under "Other Devices" (No media Server).
The  iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA] setting is still displayed in audio devices.

So where do I go from here?
Is the return freight to JRiver covered by them under warranty?

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2014, 11:37:07 pm »

I found the reason why the Id often does not initialise HDMI in mode #3.  Since I run headless I don't see this during boot:

"The following are warnings that were detected during this boot.
These can be viewed in Setup on the Event Logs Page.
WARNING: Processor Thermal Trip

Press the Enter key to continue."

Connecting a keyboard and actually pressing Enter at this point sends the Id into a state where it is active as a renderer (visible in MC on Mac) but not having intialized HDMI.  That requires shutdown and another reboot.

It does appear that I can't run without a monitor and keyboard attached.  The warning must surely be erroneous?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2014, 10:04:10 am »

I found the reason why the Id often does not initialise HDMI in mode #3.  Since I run headless I don't see this during boot:

"The following are warnings that were detected during this boot.
These can be viewed in Setup on the Event Logs Page.
WARNING: Processor Thermal Trip

Press the Enter key to continue."

Connecting a keyboard and actually pressing Enter at this point sends the Id into a state where it is active as a renderer (visible in MC on Mac) but not having intialized HDMI.  That requires shutdown and another reboot.

It does appear that I can't run without a monitor and keyboard attached.  The warning must surely be erroneous?
I've seen this a couple of times. I'm starting to think it's a bios bug.
Is this on a cold start or reboot?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2014, 10:10:28 am »

Pegasus59, the device name is ALSA suggestion.
I don't have your device however from what I've seen you might be able to use either.
You should try the different USB ports and perhaps a different cable.
As we all know, USB can be touchy at times.
There is an update coming which will bump the kernel version that may be helpful to you.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2014, 06:06:35 pm »

I've seen this a couple of times. I'm starting to think it's a bios bug.
Is this on a cold start or reboot?

I see this too, on every boot, warm or cold.  I'd not be concerned except for the 'press a key to continue' gets in the way.  Probably bios as you say since the unit runs very cool.

--Bill

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2014, 06:40:09 pm »

Pegasus59, the device name is ALSA suggestion.
I don't have your device however from what I've seen you might be able to use either.
You should try the different USB ports and perhaps a different cable.
As we all know, USB can be touchy at times.
There is an update coming which will bump the kernel version that may be helpful to you.

I have tried both rear USB ports and two different cables without any change in the performance (or lack of it).
As the Leema Elements DAC worked fine before the software upgrade, I can only surmise that something in the software upgrade is causing the USB recognition problem.

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:15 pm »

I see this too, on every boot, warm or cold.  I'd not be concerned except for the 'press a key to continue' gets in the way.  Probably bios as you say since the unit runs very cool.

--Bill
Yep, cold or warm.  Headless isn't possible whilst this persists.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2014, 03:44:20 am »

Bob.  You might try Intel.

Hilton

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2014, 04:47:10 am »

I don't get it on mine though. Im on Bios 34.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2014, 10:09:40 am »

Looking on the NUC community board it seems this is a known issue. The bios settings for the thermal trip points are a bit awkward. Here is the thread comment and what to try changing them to:

Update 2014-06-28:

I looked in the bios settings for the fan and observed that the 3 temperature points look awkward:

- critical temp      88 degrees
- control temp:    80 degrees
- full fan temp:     88 degrees

It looked to me that full cooling only kicks in when critical temperature is reached (too late), so I changed the temps to:

- critical  temp     88 (the same)
- control  temp:    68
- full fan temp      78

Now the thermal trip did not occur during the last 10 reboots.
Maybe this can help others.

It looks to me like this needs to be done for both the memory temp and ambient temp settings.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2014, 08:58:48 pm »

When will this update be available?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up