INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to setup  (Read 2389 times)

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
How to setup
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:48:22 am »

I fully admit to not really knowing what I am doing so I apologize in advance for mumbling and bumbling about with my questions

Media Center 19 on CAPS 1 Win 7 Server (Music only) user, with Media Network enabled, controlled via JRemote - works well except sorts and searches are a bit sluggish.  All music on a NAS.

Added a second, but faster, XP Computer to the Network.  Goal was to speed stuff up.  Created a Zone on the CAPS 1 device that allowed the XP PC to access, controlled with JRemote.  (I presume this makes the CAPS 1 a renderer in this configuration [but I really don't know]).  Library on CAPS1 copied and moved to XP.  WOL used to wake up the XP PC as needed - goes back to sleep after 30' of no use.  Sorts and searches were definitely faster.  This will be fine says I.  Just what I  want

Issues spontaneously arose with the JRemote giving me a "Nothing playing" message.  Could not get any song to load. Play arrows don't work etc.  Tried to go connect to the original CAPS 1 Server via JRemote but not working well, locked up, etc

Could only get things uncorked by shutting down the XP PC, rebooting whole network, etc.  I am back at square one

Questions:
What would be optimal configuration for CAPS 1 device and XP device to accomplish my goals?  

Both configured same way
MediaNetwork enabled
Under Options DLNA Server,  DLNA Renderer and DLNA Controller - all boxes, checked.
Under Client Options: Auto sync with server and Play Local File if one matches...  were also checked

Ideally goal would be to have both XP and CAPS device play in whatever zone I want whenever I want appropriately (ie not both device to same zone at same time)

Thanks and sorry for not really understanding what I am doing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to setup
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:32:08 pm »

I've read this twice but still don't know exactly what you're doing.

Please read the DLNA topic on the wiki so you can describe what you're doing in the right terms.

Leave JRemote out of the loop until everything works as you want it.  Then add it back.

If you're using two PC's to share one library, MC's Library Server is a better way to do that than DLNA.  You can read more on the wiki.  Start in the Media Network topic.

As I understand it, zones aren't needed.

I hope that will get you started.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:23:54 am »

I think this is probably the same question as mine, as I don't dully understand the system either!  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88702.0

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:09:11 pm »

Sorry if I am not explaining it correctly.  As I said, I don't really have a good grasp of the topology/setup/configuration that is needed.

Goal is to speed up sorting, searching as CAPS 1 Server is "slowish" and to use the IPAD to control it all.  CAPS1 is totally silent, however.

Second, faster PC added (and will go in another room as it is noisy) to speed things up.  Goal was to (as I understand DLNA) use the faster, noisier PC to send "music" to the CAPS 1 device that would "render" the music to the DAC.

I presume this makes the XP, faster computer a "Controller",  the CAPS1 a "Renderer" and I am unclear who/whom is the "Server"

Library was copied to the faster XP Computer as I presumed this would prevent having to move some data back and forth over the network - not sure if this is correct and not sure this would even make a difference.  I would prefer to maintain only 1 library of course.

I hope this clarifies my goals

thanks

iamimdoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »

I am still unable to do what I think can be done in JRiver with Media Network enabled

Media Center 19 on CAPS 1 Win 7 Server (Music only) user, with Media Network enabled.  Called MusicServer
Media Center 19 on qn XP Computer on the Network.                                          "    .  Called Dell 4200

MediaNetwork enabled
Under Options DLNA Server,  DLNA Renderer and DLNA Controller - all boxes, checked.
Under Client Options: Auto sync with server and Play Local File if one matches...  were also checked

I have the same library on each machine. This was only set up on XP machine as I presumed it would speed access up and cut down network traffic
Also on Network are WDTV X 3, a Marantz DLNA enabled receiver, and a Samsung networked TV

Everything has been rebooted many times along with router (Airport Extreme about 5 years old)

Goal is to get the Dell 4200 to play music via the MusicServer's DAC

See attached screen shots of JRiver on each machine

I have presumed when controlling the DELL 4200 iteration of JRiver I would be able to see the MusicServer as a zone (probably between marantz SR5007 and WD_back_br).  Instead I see "Playing FROM MusicServer" at the bottom of the list of various zones

Is this expected?
Does this explain why I can't get the Dell 4200 to play music via the MusicServer's DAC?
What to do?

Pages: [1]   Go Up